Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   I actually saw a truck driver do this! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/33006-i-actually-saw-truck-driver-do.html)

SteveInDixon 03-19-2008 04:29 PM

I actually saw a truck driver do this!

I'm driving eastbound on hwy 80 over the Yolo Causeway between Sacramento and Davis. Driving westbound was a big rig. The driver of this big rig was standing up, left hand on the steering wheel, his back was to the windshield, and he was reaching for something behind him. As I passed him and watched him in my mirrors, he did keep that truck straight though! I don't know if I should have been impressed or scared by that! :shock:

Phantom433a 03-19-2008 04:31 PM

be scared....he didn't have control of an 80,000 lbs weapon.

03-19-2008 05:13 PM

i think if he was going straight then he was under control of his "80,000 lbs weapon"

ben45750 03-19-2008 05:59 PM

I thought that was a pretty common thing?

CrazyTulip 03-19-2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedfxg
i think if he was going straight then he was under control of his "80,000 lbs weapon"

:roll: Yeah right! Say he looked, then looked back and in that split second something happens in front of him....still think he's in control of that 80,000 lbs weapon? Come on!

cowdoc 03-19-2008 07:32 PM

How else do u grab somethin out of the sleeper. Besides I saw em do this very thing on Ice Road Truckers.

tyoneon 03-19-2008 07:41 PM

uncle paul rules

hatt91 03-19-2008 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowdoc
How else do u grab somethin out of the sleeper. Besides I saw em do this very thing on Ice Road Truckers.

I gotta say, i loved watching that show, but at the same time, it only purpetuates (sp?) the idea that all truck drivers are careless, dangerous, greedy animals.

Drew getting out of his seat to get a different coffee mug was a perfect example. Guys driving tired, practically falling asleep. Why? "Gotta make some money." I dont recall any mention of hours of service.

Regardless of what you and me know about truck driving, being truck drivers, this was an insiders peek, for the 1st timne for most people, into the lives of truck drivers. It's not a stretch for people to think this is how we all are.

Mr. Ford95 03-19-2008 09:57 PM

I agree hatt on how a lot of people got their first look into what truck driving and the drivers are like. Realize this though, they also saw how they are very careful of their driving, at least some of them and how they don't put up with those who want to flaunt the rules of the road. They also got to see just how hard it can be to stop such a large vehicle in bad weather(see TJ's slide into the Silverado.) Yes some bad was on there that personified the trucker stereotype but also some good was on there.

And BTW, who isn't greedy for money these days??

Orangetxguy 03-19-2008 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowdoc

I don't know about you...but I keep my ass planted in the seat, with my hands on the wheel...and not worry about what is in the sleeper, while in motion.

IF I do need something from the sleeper...I wait for a rest area, pull off and park...then get it.