Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Button Hook (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/32997-button-hook.html)

WOLF RIVER 03-18-2008 11:45 PM

Button Hook

What are you looking for or what dictates the need for a button hook on right hand turn??? Is there any tell tale signs before you get to that particular intersection?? Or is it just an experiance thing?

TomB985 03-18-2008 11:50 PM

The "button hook" is the technique used in ALL correct right hand turns, where you drive your tractor straight out until the trailer tandems are far enough forward to clear the corner when you bring your tractor around.

This is possible for the majority of the right hand turns you will do, and it is the only legal way to do it. a "jug handle" is where you have a tight right hand turn and you have to drive out to the left before you hook around to the right to complete the turn.

You'll lean which to use through experience, but whatever you do FOLLOW YOUR TRAILER in your mirrors! It's no huge deal to have to back up and to it again, but curbing a tire or hitting something can often be a very expensive mistake!

good luck! :)

WOLF RIVER 03-19-2008 12:00 AM

We learned a "button hook" today - more like a jug handle. Close off the left side of the tractor while keeping the rear of the trailer in the right lane. The right hand turns we made that needed the jug handle or button hook as our school calls it is a easy turn, but what do you see that tells you hey I have to do a jug handle / button hook??? I noticed that - 1 lots of tire tracks over the curb and 2 a light pole very close to the curb.

Drew10 03-19-2008 12:08 AM

Quote:

It's no huge deal to have to back up and to it again,
Observation here....backing up to do it again, probably wont be an option. Remember you are on a city street when accomplishing a "button hook". This is generally a one shot attempt, as traffic will be behind you, impatiently waiting and "pushing" you to get out of the way. Most of the time you gotta get this right the first time.
How do you know when the "jughandle and button hook" are needed comes throught experience with city streets and practice of the manuever, and really important to understand the turning radius of the tractor trailer combo. Position of the tandems will also dictate the turning radius. Another note if the tandems are forward, you have to keep in mind the trailer tail swing, that you dont "swing" it into a hapless 4wheeler coming around your side.

Midnight Flyer 03-19-2008 12:48 AM

:D To keep four-wheelers from sneaking up on your right side when making a right-hand button hook turn an old salt gave this little bit of advice: when coming up to the intersection head straight for the right side of the road/street and just before you get there swing wide left until the driver's seat is even with the centerline then swing it hard right. The guy that gave me this little bit of advice (Yoopr) has about 40 years of driving under his belt so he knows what he's talking about. 8)

Drew10 03-19-2008 01:15 AM

Thats kinda of a given, if your going to turn right and swing into the left lane to do so, you must start with the trailer in the right lane to keep it "pinched off". If the entire unit is in the left lane (assuming this lane even exists) the 4wheelers will "pileup" in the right lane, regardless if you have a right turn signal on. You will have to commandeer the entire road if a button hook/jughandle right turn is necessary.

fishmonger 03-19-2008 01:16 AM

Signs of a button hook:

Turns that are more than 90 degrees
2 lane streets
Obsticles on the corner ( Light pole, Telephone pole, signs, mail box ect...)
Staggered stop lines at an intersection
I'm sure there are more

The key to navigating these turns are in the set-up. The 1st thing you have to do is identify the button hook as soon as possible. Then comes the set up. I try to set up about 30-50 feet b4 the intersection. It takes 2 lanes to turn a 53 footer. I like to close off the right lane so no one tries to sneak up on my right hand side. I do this by splitting the white line or zipper this also deters people from trying to pass me on the left. When the coast is clear I aim the tractor at a land mark on the opposite side of the street. When I get my space I sruare off and drive forward till my shoulder gets even with the curb and start the turn (if there is no curb use the white line of the lane your turning into)at time you have to move out further. Sometimes you will need to to use the space infront of the staggered stop line on really tight button hooks. Make sure you watch your tandems and adjust as needed. Also becareful of the overhang on the front of your trailer as people do more damage with this than their tandems. If 4 wheeler gets in your way move'em remember your bigger than they are. Use all the space that is available to you and sometimes there is no other choice than to run over a curb but make sure thats all you hit.

Drew10 03-19-2008 01:44 AM

Was just thinking about those "stop lines" also. Some intersections have a staggered or recessed left turn stop line from the street you are turning into. Some are recessed adequetly, some arent. 4wheelers may not understand the recessed stop line and stop ahead of them anyway, effectivily making your right hand turn more difficult or impossible until that 4wheel moves.
These "buttonhook/jughandle" turns are probably some of the more challenging to accomplish of all your turns. Especially in busy city traffic, and most of these streets arent really engineered to handle most OTR trucks of todays lengths, great care must be taken in a city setting.
Many of my right turns have had me head to head with the left turn traffic from the street Im turning onto. Makes for some interesting facial expression when they see an 80 ft truck turning directly into them.
I remember one lady in an Jeep SUV sitting for a left turn on the street I was turning onto. Ive turned down this street many times so I knew it well. I need all of my lanes and some of the opposing traffics lanes to make the right turn. Shes sitting there at the redlight, exactly where she is supposed to be and I need to swing even wider because of her. She sees me coming straight at her Im watching her and my right mirror watching the trailer. I thought she was going to have a cow right there. I keep the turn going and swing straight on into my lane, to complete the turn. Shes sitting there holding her heart. We were the only traffic around so I stop just for a moment abeam her door and smiled at her and say "sorry Ma'am didnt mean to scare you" waved and headed on. She gave a hardy, and thankful smile back.

Rockee 03-19-2008 02:06 AM

With time and experience you will be able to look at your turns and see of its going to be tight enough to have to do a button hook or not, if you think it will be questionable then go ahead and do one and if people get inconvenienced they will probably get over it, I would suggest getting it right the first time then trying to back up and redo your turn, you have a blind spot back there and possibly traffic that might not be able to get out of your way. As far as I ever knew, a button hook/jug handle was always the same thing and dont know about one being illegal, I think what matters is what is practical

Drew10 03-19-2008 02:25 AM

From what I understand the "Jughandle" is illegel. Not really sure thought. Never had and Law bother me for it.
The "Jughandle" is when you swing wide into other lanes before your turn.
The "Buttonhook" which is the generally taught and accepted practice is when you do not swing wide, but bring your trailer straight into the intersection then cut a hard 90+ turn to complete the right hand turn.
Some intersections will not really allow a "buttonhook" as the roads are to narrow and the turn is to sharp for the OTR length trucks, plus obstacles on the corners (poles/trees/mailboxes/people etc) make a "jughandle" start to the turn a necessary evil.