Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers
You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Past driving and criminal record question (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/32678-past-driving-criminal-record-question.html)

rancherman 02-29-2008 02:43 PM

Past driving and criminal record question

I'm looking to get my CDL-A soon and drive for a carrier that accepts students. My question is, am I wasting my time with the following on my driving and criminal records. I have 3 driving while impaired in 1978-80, I have 2 points on my record now from a illegal lane change in Jan. 2007. Criminal history is larceny from an auto 1974 and reckless discharge of a firearm 1990 both misdemeanors.
How far do the carriers check back. Most of these offenses are 30 years or older. Should I tell them about the old ones when they ask? I'm 54 with a good 30 yr. work record.
Your answers are greatly appreciated,
Mark

Sealord 02-29-2008 03:17 PM

Driving and Criminal Record Question

Am I wasting my time with the following on my driving and criminal records? I have 3 driving while impaired in 1978-80, (Impaired by what? Alcohol or drugs wouldn't be good) I have 2 points on my record now from a illegal lane change in Jan. 2007. (Too soon, a safety director may not be interested. Let three years pass.) Criminal history is larceny from an auto 1974 and reckless discharge of a firearm 1990 both misdemeanors. (Enough time may have passed, but will probably preclude your getting a TSA letter for HazMat.)
How far do the carriers check back. (3 years for newbs, 10 for experienced, for TSA letter, your criminal history is checked.) Most of these offenses are 30 years or older. Should I tell them about the old ones when they ask? (Yup, nothing beats honesty.) I'm 54 with a good 30 yr. work record. BOL

rancherman 02-29-2008 03:25 PM

Impaired by what? Alcohol.....yes it was alcohol

Twilight Flyer 02-29-2008 03:48 PM

Most companies can work with ONE alcohol related offense if it's more than 5 years old. Most companies cannot/will not work with someone with MORE than one of those offenses, regardless of how far back it was. While it may not show on an MVR that far back, it likely will on a criminal background. Your best bet is full disclosure. At least that way, you know you aren't running the risk of getting fired everyday for falsifying an employment app. Good luck...you're probably going to need it on this.

ogre999 02-29-2008 03:48 PM

Yeesh nooffence bud but Im glad somebody makes me look like a boyscout ! good luck

rancherman 03-02-2008 02:31 AM

Thanks..everyone

ohiomohawk 03-02-2008 02:41 AM

If all else fails check for companys in your area that are looking for owner operators then go talk to the owner operators and probably someone will let you get in thier rig.

Orangetxguy 03-02-2008 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by ohiomohawk:
If all else fails check for companys in your area that are looking for owner operators then go talk to the owner operators and probably someone will let you get in thier rig.

LOL...you think it's that simple??

Personally...I think the only thing anyone will look at is the MVR because it is recent, and possibly the 1990 firearm charge. Do yourself a favor, and get a background check done on yourself...MVR as well as criminal...see what it tells you. Right now, because of the time frame on everything you posted..TSA will likely give you the letter Sealord mentioned. That may change.

TGTLLC 03-02-2008 05:20 AM

i woudl also do come calling around to the big companys and get a "pre-hire" from them.

just make sure that if you go through schooling that you will be able to gain employment.

2 weeks of research on the phone coudl save you a lot of money and agrevation down the road.

as far as the illeagle lane change back in 07 if thats your only recent offence i dont think it will be a big problem as long as you keep your record clean.

altho your firearm conviction might be where you will run into a road block. some could see that as a voilent offence and that right there can but a stop to your wishes in having a career in driving.

as others mentioned pull a criminal history and a DMV report on your self. make sure to go back the last 20 or so years and see what it is that shows up and go from there.

best of luck to you.

ohiomohawk 03-02-2008 07:04 AM

[quote="Orangetxguy"]

Originally Posted by ohiomohawk:

LOL...you think it's that simple??

Well I am not sure where the thread starter lives but where i live there are 2 companies that have owner operators who are looking for people to drive thier rigs, you go down to the company and there is a list of loads to be run and the owner ops that you can contact and have a meeting with.