Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Past driving and criminal record question (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/32678-past-driving-criminal-record-question.html)

rancherman 02-29-2008 02:43 PM

Past driving and criminal record question

I'm looking to get my CDL-A soon and drive for a carrier that accepts students. My question is, am I wasting my time with the following on my driving and criminal records. I have 3 driving while impaired in 1978-80, I have 2 points on my record now from a illegal lane change in Jan. 2007. Criminal history is larceny from an auto 1974 and reckless discharge of a firearm 1990 both misdemeanors.
How far do the carriers check back. Most of these offenses are 30 years or older. Should I tell them about the old ones when they ask? I'm 54 with a good 30 yr. work record.
Your answers are greatly appreciated,
Mark

Sealord 02-29-2008 03:17 PM

Driving and Criminal Record Question

Am I wasting my time with the following on my driving and criminal records? I have 3 driving while impaired in 1978-80, (Impaired by what? Alcohol or drugs wouldn't be good) I have 2 points on my record now from a illegal lane change in Jan. 2007. (Too soon, a safety director may not be interested. Let three years pass.) Criminal history is larceny from an auto 1974 and reckless discharge of a firearm 1990 both misdemeanors. (Enough time may have passed, but will probably preclude your getting a TSA letter for HazMat.)
How far do the carriers check back. (3 years for newbs, 10 for experienced, for TSA letter, your criminal history is checked.) Most of these offenses are 30 years or older. Should I tell them about the old ones when they ask? (Yup, nothing beats honesty.) I'm 54 with a good 30 yr. work record. BOL

rancherman 02-29-2008 03:25 PM

Impaired by what? Alcohol.....yes it was alcohol

Twilight Flyer 02-29-2008 03:48 PM

Most companies can work with ONE alcohol related offense if it's more than 5 years old. Most companies cannot/will not work with someone with MORE than one of those offenses, regardless of how far back it was. While it may not show on an MVR that far back, it likely will on a criminal background. Your best bet is full disclosure. At least that way, you know you aren't running the risk of getting fired everyday for falsifying an employment app. Good luck...you're probably going to need it on this.

ogre999 02-29-2008 03:48 PM

Yeesh nooffence bud but Im glad somebody makes me look like a boyscout ! good luck

rancherman 03-02-2008 02:31 AM

Thanks..everyone

ohiomohawk 03-02-2008 02:41 AM

If all else fails check for companys in your area that are looking for owner operators then go talk to the owner operators and probably someone will let you get in thier rig.

Orangetxguy 03-02-2008 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiomohawk
If all else fails check for companys in your area that are looking for owner operators then go talk to the owner operators and probably someone will let you get in thier rig.

LOL...you think it's that simple??

Personally...I think the only thing anyone will look at is the MVR because it is recent, and possibly the 1990 firearm charge. Do yourself a favor, and get a background check done on yourself...MVR as well as criminal...see what it tells you. Right now, because of the time frame on everything you posted..TSA will likely give you the letter Sealord mentioned. That may change.

TGTLLC 03-02-2008 05:20 AM

i woudl also do come calling around to the big companys and get a "pre-hire" from them.

just make sure that if you go through schooling that you will be able to gain employment.

2 weeks of research on the phone coudl save you a lot of money and agrevation down the road.

as far as the illeagle lane change back in 07 if thats your only recent offence i dont think it will be a big problem as long as you keep your record clean.

altho your firearm conviction might be where you will run into a road block. some could see that as a voilent offence and that right there can but a stop to your wishes in having a career in driving.

as others mentioned pull a criminal history and a DMV report on your self. make sure to go back the last 20 or so years and see what it is that shows up and go from there.

best of luck to you.

ohiomohawk 03-02-2008 07:04 AM

[quote="Orangetxguy"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiomohawk

LOL...you think it's that simple??

Well I am not sure where the thread starter lives but where i live there are 2 companies that have owner operators who are looking for people to drive thier rigs, you go down to the company and there is a list of loads to be run and the owner ops that you can contact and have a meeting with.

Colts Fan 03-02-2008 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGTLLC
as far as the illeagle lane change back in 07 if thats your only recent offence i dont think it will be a big problem as long as you keep your record clean.

In the trucking world an illegal lane change is considered a major moving violation.

dle 03-02-2008 04:29 PM

Question: if he requested a DAC report, wouldn't it show at least the criminal aspect?

The MVR he could request from the state. I don't think it's included with the DAC.

Orangetxguy 03-02-2008 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dle
Question: if he requested a DAC report, wouldn't it show at least the criminal aspect?
The MVR he could request from the state. I don't think it's included with the DAC.

Unless he has prior CMV experience, there is no DAC report on him.

BigDawg 03-02-2008 07:47 PM

u know i hate to mention this company in open forum but u may try C.R.England yes terrible company but they may have what u r looking for or need at this time.

A friend of mine drive's for em and they r running his nut's off he says he is making money with em but he is NOT a Fleece Opertaor with em,he is just payin his due's right now to the industry then moving on.

If all else fails ya u might give rock haul'in a try or grain hauk'in a try of course based upon where u live at u have alot of ground work to do so best thing to do is pick up the phone on Monday and get started ............BOL

TGTLLC 03-03-2008 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colts Fan
Quote:

Originally Posted by TGTLLC

In the trucking world an illegal lane change is considered a major moving violation.

ok well thats new to me but then again i dont work for a big company and havent for a long time but i see where your going with that one.

and i guess 1 more question was it an illeagal lane change or an improper lane change.

wily it make a difference maybe but i can not tell you for sure.

rancherman 03-04-2008 12:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies. How would I go about getting a criminal background check? Also I live in the Detroit MI. area.

ohiomohawk 03-04-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancherman
Thanks for all the replies. How would I go about getting a criminal background check? Also I live in the Detroit MI. area.

Yeah, how do you go about getting a criminal background check? What system do the trucking companies use?

worldisnotenough 03-04-2008 10:26 PM

you could go to the police station and tell them you are turning yourself in. after they check on who you are. wait about 3 hours. if you are still there, chances are you are a criminal. if not. then you should be good.

GMAN 03-05-2008 01:09 AM

Quote:

You can order a criminal background check on the internet or go to your local police station or sheriff's office. It usually only takes a few minutes and isn't very expensive. You can sometimes order a local, state or national criminal check. It should not cost more than $10-15 when you go to your local police station. I believe those on the internet run about $39.

BigDiesel 03-05-2008 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldisnotenough
you could go to the police station and tell them you are turning yourself in. after they check on who you are. wait about 3 hours. if you are still there, chances are you are a criminal. if not. then you should be good.

:lol:

One problem with this idea though.... too many potential BBR's will do this and overload the jails.

ogre999 03-06-2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN
Quote:

You can order a criminal background check on the internet or go to your local police station or sheriff's office. It usually only takes a few minutes and isn't very expensive. You can sometimes order a local, state or national criminal check. It should not cost more than $10-15 when you go to your local police station. I believe those on the internet run about $39.

In Deleware its $45 and you just need your license as proof of ID it is done through the State Troopers Office

rancherman 03-06-2008 12:10 PM

I found a agency "USIS" That seems to be the company that the large carriers send there requests for DAC's. We as consumers can order a free copy of ours every 12 months for free. Also you can check your criminal, DMV and credit. Here's the link and the pdf file for the form:
http://www.usis.com/Consumers/default.aspx

worldisnotenough 03-06-2008 09:03 PM

or go to the local post office. If they have a picture on the wall of you. You are bad. If not you are good. Don't make this any more complicated than it already is.

ramrod 03-06-2008 10:48 PM

Anyone know if a DUI would only show up on a DMV report, or both DMV and Criminal record?

worldisnotenough 03-06-2008 10:50 PM

probably both. I am just guessing. those things have a way of ruining a driving career. and if it can send you to jail, it is probably a criminal offense as well. I am just guessing though. I am no doctor.

Trukrswyfe 03-06-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by worldisnotenough
probably both. I am just guessing. those things have a way of ruining a driving career. and if it can send you to jail, it is probably a criminal offense as well. I am just guessing though. I am no doctor.

Both.

But I like the check the post office wall for your status of good or bad.
I'm good, no pics!!! What a relief. That was keeping me up at night.
I thought I was going to have to take a lie detector test on television to find out the real truth. :shock: :shock:

rancherman 03-29-2008 04:10 AM

Re: Past driving and criminal record question

Quote:

I'm looking to get my CDL-A soon and drive for a carrier that accepts students. My question is, am I wasting my time with the following on my driving and criminal records. I have 3 driving while impaired in 1978-80, I have 2 points on my record now from a illegal lane change in Jan. 2007. Criminal history is larceny from an auto 1974 and reckless discharge of a firearm 1990 both misdemeanors.
How far do the carriers check back. Most of these offenses are 30 years or older. Should I tell them about the old ones when they ask? I'm 54 with a good 30 yr. work record.
Mark

I received my USIS report back, no DAC information, no criminal, the MVR reported the lane change in "07". Thats my story from now on.
Mark

Colts Fan 03-29-2008 04:44 AM

Re: Past driving and criminal record question

Quote:

Quote:

Mark

I received my USIS report back, no DAC information, no criminal, the MVR reported the lane change in "07". Thats my story from now on.
Mark

I'd call some of the major carriers and talk to a recruiter or better yet someone in the safety department to see if the illegal lane change will hurt your chances.