Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   radar detector (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/29754-radar-detector.html)

greg3564 09-20-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95

What if the police are using aircraft?? You are not going to detect that with anything.

CHP has a lot of aircraft, especially on I-15 between L.A. and the Nevada border and I-10 from L.A. to the Arizona border. They use them quite a bit on I-5 up and down Calif. No way to detect those.

TruckerChris 09-20-2007 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:

What if the police are using aircraft?? You are not going to detect that with anything.

CHP has a lot of aircraft, especially on I-15 between L.A. and the Nevada border and I-10 from L.A. to the Arizona border. They use them quite a bit on I-5 up and down Calif. No way to detect those.

Turn your scanner on...

Twilight Flyer 09-20-2007 10:45 PM

Quote:

What if the police are using aircraft?? You are not going to detect that with anything
Been there, done that, got the ticket. :shock: That was back in '83 even.

PackRatTDI 09-20-2007 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kona911
Quote:

Quote:

Turn your scanner on...

Yep, but make sure it's a good scanner that has digital/trunk tracking capabilities.

PackRatTDI 09-20-2007 11:17 PM

Re: radar detector

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evinrude
Is there any Radar Detectors on the market that can't be detected by police?

The bottom line is CMV's cannot have them and most companies have strict policies against them. Another issue is most officers don't leave their radars or laser on continously. They are typically trigger activated and they trigger it as soon as they see you. By then your expensive detector is too late and you'll get the ticket anyways.

JUST DON'T SPEED. Think of the money you'll save if you don't have to buy detectors, pay ticket costs, pay lawyers, etc.

Laser units can't be used in continuous mode anyways, it has to be aimed and fired. And fortunately most LEO's in my experience are lazy enough that they use continuous mode. :wink:

Fredog 09-20-2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Turn your scanner on.

also illegal

Yep, but make sure it's a good scanner that has digital/trunk tracking capabilities.

TruckerChris 09-20-2007 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

Originally Posted by PackRatTDI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Turn your scanner on.

also illegal

Are you serious? :roll:

greg3564 09-20-2007 11:59 PM

It's not illegal to listen to scanners. Only if used in conjuntion with a crime, such as robbing a store or burglarizing a home, not speeding.

Fredog 09-21-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

It's not illegal to listen to scanners. Only if used in conjuntion with a crime, such as robbing a store or burglarizing a home, not speeding.

In Georgia a police scanner is illegal in a vehicle. ok to use at home. it may vary by state

interesting site pertaining to this
http://www.ncsl.org/programs/transpo...dar.htm#table2

greg3564 09-21-2007 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fredog
Quote:

In Georgia a police scanner is illegal in a vehicle. ok to use at home. it may vary by state

I went to several "scanning" websites and in all four they state that it is legal to posess a scanner in a vehicle. Might want to check you facts on that one.

The following is from the National Council of State Legislators.

Quote:

Table 2: State Laws on Mobile Scanners
State
Description

CALIFORNIA
Scanner usage illegal in furtherance of a crime.

FLORIDA
Scanners illegal when mounted in vehicles unless the individual is a licensed alarm system contractor, a member of the press on assignment, a licensed amateur radio operator, or a citizen with written permission from the chief of police of sheriff.

INDIANA
Scanners illegal when mounted in vehicles unless the individual is a licensed alarm system contractor, a member of the press on assignment, a licensed amateur radio operator, or a citizen with written permission from the chief of police or sheriff.

KENTUCKY
Scanners are illegal while vehicles are mobile unless the user has a Federal Communications Commission licensure. Law enforcement officers are authorized to seize and destroy scanners. The law exempts the following:

retailers and wholesalers selling radios.
Commercial, educational, or television stations using them at the place of business.
Individuals at their residences.
Commercial towing trucks.
Newspaper reporters and photographers on duty.
Disaster and emergency services personnel with written permission from the state director of emergency services.
People holding a valid amateur radio license.
Peace officers authorized in writing by their agency head.
Commonwealth and county attorneys and their assistants.

MICHIGAN
Police receiver radios are illegal in vehicles unless the driver is an amateur-radio operator with technician-class license or above, or with written permission.

MINNESOTA
Mobile scanners are illegal except for police and amateur radio operators licensed by the Federal Communications Commission. The Superintendent of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension also must give approval. Use of scanners in furtherance of a felony is illegal.

NEW JERSEY
Use in furtherance of a crime is illegal.

NEW YORK
Possessing a scanner is illegal for anyone without a permit.

OKLAHOMA

SOUTH DAKOTA
Possession for use during a felony is illegal.

Use in business establishments legal with prior written permit.

Amateur radio operators exempted from law.

Confiscation for violations.

VERMONT

VIRGINIA
Illegal if used to further a felony.