Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   drug screen advice needed (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/28359-drug-screen-advice-needed.html)

Wolfman 07-19-2007 04:40 PM

drug screen advice needed

I had a random drug screen and they asked 'what all are you taking?' I told them about my blood pressure medicine and anti-depressant, both of which I had been on for 4 years.
Turns out the anti depressant (lexapro) was against DOT regulations. Ok, no prob. I went to my doctor and got him to say I was no longer taking it. I took this note back to the clinic and they signed off on my health card.
Apparently this wasn't good enough though. The Alabama DOT sent me a form that my doctor had to fill out. I never received it. When applying for another job it turns out that my liscence was suspened. I call the DOT and get it straightened out by having them fax me the document again and taking it to the doctor and having him fax it to them.
So I think everything is hunkie dory. I applied to Maverick, and they say that because I 'failed a drug screen' I am not eligible to work with them and have to wait 5 years and have proof of rehab. I explain to them that I didn't fail anything, but they didn't seem to believe me.
How can I get this straightened out? I'm feeling pretty screwed here and I haven't done anything wrong.

inmate1577 07-19-2007 04:57 PM

ok, there is something missing here between you not getting a doctors note and your license being suspended.

Wolfman 07-19-2007 05:14 PM

I probably wasn't clear enough. Here's part of the email I just sent to Maverick, which shows the order things happened:

1) I was taking lexapro, an anti depressant, for about 3 years.
2) At a random drug screen I listed all the medications I was taking.
3) It turns out Lexapro is not allowed for CDL drivers.
4) I stoped taking lexapro and got my doctor to write a note saying so to the clinic testing me.
5) The DOT needed additional forms filled out. They mailed them to me but I did not receive them.
6) While applying for a job I find out my liscence has been suspended because DOT never got the forms.
7) I contact the Alabama DOT, they fax me the forms I need to fill out.
8) I fill them out, return them to them, my license is set to 'active' again.

larryh31 07-19-2007 05:36 PM

Re: drug screen advice needed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolfman
How can I get this straightened out? I'm feeling pretty screwed here and I haven't done anything wrong.

1) First, do not apply for any more trucking jobs.
2) Order a copy of your DAC Report from USIS 1-800-381-0645. www.usis.com
3) After you get your DAC report in the mail. Review it to see what information it is showing in regards to "your failed drug test"
4) If the information is incorrect, send them a certified letter with documentaion proving your side of the case.
5) After you recieve written conformation that your report has been updated, then you can apply for a trucking job.

Wolfman 07-19-2007 05:57 PM

Re: drug screen advice needed

Quote:

Originally Posted by larryh31
Quote:

1) First, do not apply for any more trucking jobs.
2) Order a copy of your DAC Report from USIS 1-800-381-0645. www.usis.com
3) After you get your DAC report in the mail. Review it to see what information it is showing in regards to "your failed drug test"
4) If the information is incorrect, send them a certified letter with documentaion proving your side of the case.
5) After you recieve written conformation that your report has been updated, then you can apply for a trucking job.

Ok will do thanks.

Wolfman 07-19-2007 06:47 PM

Ok I mailed off for my free copy of my DAC. Sure wish there had been some way to order it over the phone, but what ya gonna do? Thanks for pointing me in that direction, at least it will give me some proof to fax recruiters that I didn't fail a drug screen.

I guess what that guy at Maverick saw was that I had taken a drug screen and shortly thereafter gotten my license suspended. Does that sound right to you guys more in the know? Or am I missing something here? I would have thought they would have pulled my DAC themselves, but maybe they deal with so many guys trying to get on that actually have failed a drug screen that they just didn't bother because my file looked similar?

inmate1577 07-19-2007 07:40 PM

Quote:

Ok I mailed off for my free copy of my DAC. Sure wish there had been some way to order it over the phone, but what ya gonna do? Thanks for pointing me in that direction, at least it will give me some proof to fax recruiters that I didn't fail a drug screen.

I guess what that guy at Maverick saw was that I had taken a drug screen and shortly thereafter gotten my license suspended. Does that sound right to you guys more in the know? Or am I missing something here? I would have thought they would have pulled my DAC themselves, but maybe they deal with so many guys trying to get on that actually have failed a drug screen that they just didn't bother because my file looked similar?

You are probably right on the money, they so many of these failed drug tests, that everything after that is irrelevant.
As previously stated, dont apply to anymore companies til the mess is cleared up.

Twilight Flyer 07-19-2007 07:47 PM

The thing that is missing is SOMEONE is reporting that you failed a drug screen. That's not DOT data...that is from a company. So who is reporting it?

Uturn2001 07-19-2007 08:07 PM

I too would love to know what company has put you through all of this.

I am also curious as to why and who told you that you could not take Lexapro and drive a CMV.

Wolfman 07-19-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uturn2001
I too would love to know what company has put you through all of this.

I am also curious as to why and who told you that you could not take Lexapro and drive a CMV.

It's a clinic in Mobile, AL. called The Taylor Clinic. I just went in for a standard drug screen and wasn't sweating it since I'd reckon I drink less than a 12 pack of beer a year, let alone doing drugs. I do smoke cigarettes, but that's about it.

They were pretty adamant about the lexapro thing, which was strange since I had taken it for 3-4 years and had a ton of drugscreens in that time, always saying upfront what I took. I figured that either the other places had just missed it or it was some new DOT regulation.

You think I'm being steered wrong by these folks?

Edit: I guess the DAC report will show if someone is saying that I failed a drug screen. If that is the case, what is the quickest way to resolve it? Do I need to get a lawyer? I'll do whatever it takes, all I know how to do is drive; if I can't drive I'm going to have to go back to security guard work or some similar dead-end, low paying job.

Edit 2: I called the AL DOT and they said that their records didn't show me failing a drug screen. Not sure how comprehensive their records are?

Twilight Flyer 07-19-2007 09:08 PM

Quote:

Edit 2: I called the AL DOT and they said that their records didn't show me failing a drug screen. Not sure how comprehensive their records are?
So again, which company is reporting you failed a drug screen? For Maverick to have said that, someone is reporting it as such. You said you took a random drug screen in your first post. With who?

Wolfman 07-19-2007 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twilight Flyer
Quote:

So again, which company is reporting you failed a drug screen? For Maverick to have said that, someone is reporting it as such. You said you took a random drug screen in your first post. With who?

A company called Hackbarth Delivery that I was doing courier work for was last place that I took a drug screen.

ohiomohawk 07-19-2007 09:56 PM

Not trying to get off the subject but if you simply applied to a company over the internet and they reject you (for a criminal offense) could they send that to your DAC report??

Uturn2001 07-19-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiomohawk
Not trying to get off the subject but if you simply applied to a company over the internet and they reject you (for a criminal offense) could they send that to your DAC report??

Companies generally do not bother reporting anything that happens during the application process. It is once you report for orientation that they tend to start reporting any incidents.

Twilight Flyer 07-19-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

A company called Hackbarth Delivery that I was doing courier work for was last place that I took a drug screen.
Then that's who you need to contact and get things straightened out. They reported to Maverick that you failed a drug test. Seems pretty straight forward to me. Contact them and tell them to fix it.

Uturn2001 07-19-2007 10:28 PM

Quote:

In many states you do not get your CDL suspended due to a failed drug test. Some states will suspend the CDL for having your Med certificate pulled though.

As far as being steered wrong by the people at the clinic, yes I do think they are not as knowledgeable as they think they are if they told you that you can not under any circumstances take Lexapro.

Quote:

Originally Posted by "FMCSA Regs 391.41
(b)(12)(i) Does not use a controlled substance identified in 21 CFR 1308.11 Schedule I, an amphetamine, a narcotic, or any other habit-forming drug.

(b)(12)(ii) Exception. A driver may use such a substance or drug, if the substance or drug is prescribed by a licensed medical practitioner who:

(b)(12)(ii)(A) Is familiar with the driver's medical history and assigned duties; and

(b)(12)(ii)(B) Has advised the driver that the prescribed substance or drug will not adversely affect the driver's ability to safely operate a commercial motor vehicle; and

If this was during a physical and not a drug test I could see you being disqualified at the outset under 391.41 part b 9.

Quote:

(b)(9) Has no mental, nervous, organic, or functional disease or psychiatric disorder likely to interfere with his/her ability to drive a commercial motor vehicle safely;
But if your depression is under control with medication and/or therapy then that would not really apply.

Now I could also see a doctor doing a physical wanting a statement from the prescribing doctor saying that the medications you are on does not pose a safety concern for you.

greg3564 07-20-2007 12:14 AM

Lesson learned from this is to not tell them what you are taking. Unless it will show up on a drug test keep it to yourself.

Cluggy619 07-20-2007 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg3564
Lesson learned from this is to not tell them what you are taking. Unless it will show up on a drug test keep it to yourself.

That is wrong advice. The drug screening is a simple test, but can detect all kinds of chemicals within your body. You should always take your prescripts to all dot testing so that they know what you are on.

Furthermore, your doctor needs to be aware that some medications that they may prescribe may disqualify you on a DOT physical. He needs to prescribe medication which will allow you to keep driving. :wink:

Now, I not sure about other places, but when I took mine just a month ago, I had a high glucose in my urine. The doctor stated that I need to see my own doctor about being diabetic before he would pass me. He put the physical on hold until that was done, because " if we continue, I'll have to fail you on the physical, and report it to DOT." So it may not be a company, but the clinic that reported it.

greg3564 07-20-2007 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cluggy619
Quote:

That is wrong advice. The drug screening is a simple test, but can detect all kinds of chemicals within your body. You should always take your prescripts to all dot testing so that they know what you are on.

Furthermore, your doctor needs to be aware that some medications that they may prescribe may disqualify you on a DOT physical. He needs to prescribe medication which will allow you to keep driving. :wink:

Nope. Those tests are designed to pick up illegal substances. Drugs like opiates, amphetamines, alcohol, cocaine, pcp, cannibus, etc. It is not going to detect anti-depressants. If you prescription contains amphetamines, ie ADHD drugs, then disclose.

This guy got railroaded by a misinformed medical staff. I don't report the two prescriptions I'm taking and have never had a problem.

Drew10 07-20-2007 01:38 AM

There seems to be some confusion:

Wolfman said:

Quote:

I had a random drug screen and they asked 'what all are you taking?'
Wolfman, whos is they and why did you take a "random" drug screen?

Quote:

I call the DOT and get it straightened out by having them fax me the document again and taking it to the doctor and having him fax it to them.
Can you take this "document" to Maverick, so they can see what it was that you were taking, that you no longer are taking?

Quote:

When applying for another job it turns out that my liscence was suspened
Was the liscence suspended because of the usage of Lexapro?

Quote:

I applied to Maverick, and they say that because I 'failed a drug screen'
I suspect that they found out about the drug screen when they ran your DMV report, not DAC.
If you show them this letter from your Doc that you faxed to DOT, would this not help clear up the problem?

Wolfman 07-20-2007 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drew10
There seems to be some confusion:

Wolfman said:

Quote:

I had a random drug screen and they asked 'what all are you taking?'
Wolfman, whos is they and why did you take a "random" drug screen?

Why did you put the word random in quotes? That seems to imply that it wasn't random. It was just a random drug screen. In every DOT job I've had I've gotten popped maybe once a year. Maybe you haven't.

I'm just looking for advice here, and I got it. Thanks to everyone who helped.

Drew10 07-20-2007 02:58 AM

Wolfman, from your post I am implying (correct me if Im wrong) that you are not currently employed. A "random" drug test is generally given by your employer or company. I am only trying to understand why you had to take a random drug test.

I just looked back through the posts, I see Twilight flyer actually asked the same question. I think I got it, now

BigWheels 07-20-2007 04:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cluggy619
Quote:

Nope. Those tests are designed to pick up illegal substances. Drugs like opiates, amphetamines, alcohol, cocaine, pcp, cannibus, etc. It is not going to detect anti-depressants. If you prescription contains amphetamines, ie ADHD drugs, then disclose.

This guy got railroaded by a misinformed medical staff. I don't report the two prescriptions I'm taking and have never had a problem.

If you don't report ALL prescription meds you're on and you're involved in a serious accident (God forbid), you WILL be in serious doo-doo.

Twilight Flyer 07-20-2007 01:50 PM

Quote:

The drug screening is a simple test, but can detect all kinds of chemicals within your body. You should always take your prescripts to all dot testing so that they know what you are on.
Cluggy is dead on. Many prescriptions give false positives. If the M.O. knows what prescriptions you are on, if a false positive pops up, it's no big deal and the test comes back clean. If a false positive does come up because of a prescription that you did not disclose, you are then on the hook for paying for a followup test on the 2nd sample and will likely be let go from your company because of not disclosing your medications. At the very least, you're in for a long road in clearing things up.

BigWheels is right, too. If you're on medication and do not disclose it to the company you are driving for and are in a serious accident, that company legal umbrella will, in all likelyhood, not protect you.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Full disclosure is your friend.

Sheepdancer 07-20-2007 03:28 PM

Correct me if Im wrong. But even if you have a prescription for something and that drug wasnt OK for DOT and truck drivers, I believe that will still count as a failed drug test. I talked to a driver not too long ago who was on heavy pain medication. Had a prescription however still failed the drug test for that reason. He tried to fight it, however it was a lost cause.

Orangetxguy 07-20-2007 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
Correct me if Im wrong. But even if you have a prescription for something and that drug wasnt OK for DOT and truck drivers, I believe that will still count as a failed drug test. I talked to a driver not too long ago who was on heavy pain medication. Had a prescription however still failed the drug test for that reason. He tried to fight it, however it was a lost cause.

Your not wrong Sheep. it is the Driver's responsibility to communicate his or her job requirement's to the treating physician. Not all Doc's are knowledgable about "DOT" requirements pertaining to medication's, and the effects of treatment on a Driver's livelyhood.

I know there are 3 specific pain med's, under which you cannot drive while taking. I did not know that there is a med for depression that you cannot drive while taking. Most "over the counter" liquid cold/flu remedies will also give a "false" positive.

It is best for a driver to report all medications to either their TERMINAL Manager, or to the CORPORATE medical officer, if such exists, at the outset of treatment. Giving out one's personal medical information is not something anyone enjoys the thought of. However...when withholding such information can be a "Career" event...what do you do?

Orangetxguy 07-20-2007 11:53 PM

Amazing...several "discussions" this week on drug test's and dis-allowed drugs, and one of those "Dis-allowed" drugs turns up in the news.

ABINGDON, Va.(AP) A federal judge on Friday fined Purdue Pharma L.P., the maker of OxyContin, and three of its executives $634.5 million for misleading the public about its risk of addiction.

Purdue Pharma, its top lawyer and former president and former chief medical officer pleaded guilty in May for claiming that OxyContin was less addictive and less subject to abuse than other pain medications.

Michael Friedman, who retired in June as Purdue's president, general counsel Howard Udell and former chief medical officer Paul Goldenheim each pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of misbranding the drug. Of the total fine, $34.5 million was levied on those three.

U.S. District Judge James Jones placed the company on probation for five years and each of the executives on probation for three years. He also ordered the three to perform 400 hours of community service related to prevention of prescription drug abuse.

Popeye 07-20-2007 11:58 PM

I just can't believe that 3 people are able to pay 11.5 mill each. :shock:

Orangetxguy 07-21-2007 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popeye
I just can't believe that 3 people are able to pay 11.5 mill each. :shock:

LOL.. :shock: :shock: How long has it been since you bought prescription medicine???

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Pharmacutical Managers are just like Oil Company manager's...filthy rich...and not enough time to spend it all!!! That Judge just hepped em spend sum of it !!! :mrgreen:

Popeye 07-21-2007 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy

LOL.. :shock: :shock: How long has it been since you bought prescription medicine???

Yeah very good point :lol:

Useless 07-21-2007 02:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popeye
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orangetxguy

Yeah very good point :lol:

Really, Poppeye, for those guys, we are talking chump change; combined with the fact that they probably carry malpractice insurance (Suprise!! Suprise!! It's NOT just for Doctors!!) so they are getting off VERY easy!!