Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   macbook or vista laptop ? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/26272-macbook-vista-laptop.html)

mccfry 04-12-2007 01:25 AM

macbook or vista laptop ?

I am in the market for a new laptop, what would everyone here settle on . A macbook or a windows laptop ? vista right now from what I am reading is a pain in the %## but who knows about the future.

continental 04-12-2007 01:32 AM

Mac and Mack. :lol:

jjcasper 04-12-2007 01:34 AM

Mac vs PC ,

What are you going to use it for?

How much will you use it?

How much do you want to spend?

Have you used a MAC or are more familar w/windows?

There's a start

Let me know I can help w/that

larryh31 04-12-2007 02:11 AM

I would wait a couple more months before I purchase a Vista based computer. Microsoft is famous for having bugs in their operating systems. So, let someone else deal with that. Not to metention, getting tech supprt or service while on the road could be a challange :cry:

evertruckerr 04-12-2007 02:40 AM

I had to buy a new laptop after my last one gave up on me, and like you I was trying to decide between the two. I ended up going with a PC with Vista mainly because the Best Buy where I could find parking didn't have Macs and I needed a new computer now.

I can say without question, I regret not having waited until I could get to a place that sells Macs. They do cost more, but it would be worth it not to have to deal with the new Windows OP, Vista is nothing but a pain in the ASS! You will find that most of your hardware drivers will have conflicts with Vista, and much of your software. You will have to spend hours hunting down patches, if they are available that is.

For the most part, Vista is a useless upgrade that serves no purpose other than to increase Microsoft's profits.

I actually gave up and installed XP. I'll worry about Vista a year down the road when Vista and the rest of the computer world work out there compatibility problems.

fogshat 04-12-2007 02:44 AM

There is always the option(or used to be), of NOT purchasing a system with a pre-loaded OS

XPpro has been around for almost 6 years now - and there is a huge amount of products, software, and support on the market for it. You could pick up a bargain on ebay and install it easily on a new laptop.

I'm still using Win2000pro

Malaki86 04-12-2007 02:53 AM

A major consideration to take into your choice is the software you're going to use. Make sure the applications you want will run on each machine. That's why I'm a Windows guy - because every program I use is available only for the PC.

ben45750 04-12-2007 10:24 AM

Mac Book Pro, then you can run both. Mac pro going 8 core so plenty of power to run both with bootcamp. Thats what I am looking at.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

Skywalker 04-12-2007 01:53 PM

I lean to laptops that run windows programs.... SO I went and found one that runs XP. There are still some available out there...just have to find them.

Frankly, MS's record on stability factors of new OS's would make me more than just hesitant to by one running Vista. Maybe in a year or two. But mine is one of the ones that is supposed to upgrade to vista...... BUT, the other dimension you have to consider is that many aircards are NOT supported by Vista....so one needs to do alot of research before paying the $$ for a machine that won't work for you.

rickstephens 04-12-2007 04:34 PM

xp

i just bought a toshiba laptop from circuit city in feb with xp they are still out there then after 6 months or so if i want vista i can get it for free but for now dont see that happening even after first laptop crashed after 1 month couldnt beleive it but circuit city replaced it free didnt have ex warrenty just receipt.