Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   macbook or vista laptop ? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/26272-macbook-vista-laptop.html)

04-13-2007 01:55 AM

I got a brand new toshiba w/ vista and it sux, so slow it must've been coded by JB Hunt execs. I have 2g of RAM BTW.

XP Pro is better.

Doghouse 04-13-2007 02:25 AM

I love Mac's, but they are out of my price range right now,...so I went on E-bay and got 2 identical new XP machines for $1,200. That way I can have a reliable back up when (not if) my windows machine breaks down.

Skywalker 04-13-2007 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prodigy
I got a brand new toshiba w/ vista and it sux, so slow it must've been coded by JB Hunt execs. I have 2g of RAM BTW.

XP Pro is better.

Have you "de-fragged" the machine yet? It should improve the speed. I have found that all the machines I have bought new needed defragging... 8)

04-13-2007 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:

XP Pro is better.

Have you "de-fragged" the machine yet? It should improve the speed. I have found that all the machines I have bought new needed defragging... 8)

Um yeah, every other day it's scheduled to go automatically. Next question?

kc0iv 04-13-2007 01:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
Quote:

XP Pro is better.

Um yeah, every other day it's scheduled to go automatically. Next question?

The only reason you need to de-frag a computer that often is if you do a lot of file deletion. One addition point is each time the computer moves the pointer of the file there is a danger of corrupting the file pointer and thereby causing a loss of the use of the file.

What what I have read and listen to from such people as Kim Comando (the Great Goddess) isn't to impress with the low end Vista. Nor is CNET. In fact CNET has a review http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3118_7-....html?tag=feat where they compare XP and Vista.

One big problem with Vista is very few programs are written for the Vista. And some programs won't run on Vista.

Something to think about.

kc0iv

downsouthdriver 04-14-2007 02:53 AM

I bought a HP with XP back in January and upgraded to Vista a month or so later and have had NO problems with it. All my drivers worked from the get go and the only software that doesn't work on it is my EA Games. And that's EA's fault. My Tiger Woods 05 wont play but my cheap chess game from 2003 works without a hit.

Trucker4Life 04-14-2007 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doghouse
I love Mac's, but they are out of my price range right now,...so I went on E-bay and got 2 identical new XP machines for $1,200. That way I can have a reliable back up when (not if) my windows machine breaks down.

Isn't that like buying 2 Yugo's instead of a GMC?

dollarshort 04-15-2007 01:09 AM

I bought a Compaq presario with Vista a month ago. Only complaint I had was it was slow. I upgraded memory to 1 gig and everything works just fine.

jayburd 04-15-2007 01:34 AM

It's just my opinion,but I'd stay stay with a windows OS computer for normal type computer use.
A buddy of mine thought he was smart and bought a Mac laptop and can't use it most of the time,too many years of windows and the change has him messed up. :wink:

druid2874 04-15-2007 08:43 AM

It depends what you use it for. If you like to down load music, movies and play them, chat online ect then mac is a lot better for that.
plus more secure for simply fact that hackers go after windows based system then mac. Now if you do accounting type stuff GPS and play games. then windows is better at that. But If you do get vista MIN you need 1gb ram 2 is a lot better Vista is a ram hog.