Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Internet Access on the Road? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/24031-internet-access-road.html)

rigidsporty 01-19-2007 09:56 PM

I used the Verizon wireless card for my laptop. It was about $70 a month with unlimited nationwide access. If I go OTR again thats what I'll get (I still got the card).

Never used the wi-fi stuff... I didnt like the idea of having to be at a flying j in order to get online. With the Verizon card I was able to get online almost anywhere.

Blind Driver 01-19-2007 11:25 PM

Cingular. I run it through my cell phone to my laptop

Triple.C 01-20-2007 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
Many truck stops have wi-fi. It can be purchased for a day for about $5.00 or a longer period of subscription on a monthly or annual basis.

Alot of us carry "aircards" and have service with companies like Cingular, T-Mobile, etc.

I had flying J for awhile and got so disgusted with their sevice I switched to siricom, From one piece of crap to another.

Now I use my Cingular card and I'm in net heaven! :D

inmate1577 01-20-2007 11:45 AM

I had just the opposite, with Sirricom at Pilot being the worst, but Flying J being the best.
For me, the aircard is the better route, or I use a cell phone with net access and a built in keyboard. I rarely go to truck stops, except for fuel and groceries, I avoid them like the plague.

Mtc_Is_Hell 01-20-2007 02:48 PM

I use my road miles to pay for monthly subscriptions at TA.. Also Most anywhere you go you can get on an unsecured signal. Most shippers have them, also if you happen to have a load to a store a signal can usually be found.

As far as virus threat goes, never had one nor am I afraid of getting one.

Trucker4Life 01-20-2007 02:52 PM

Anyone using an aircard with the Slingbox? I have read a few people using Slingbox, but wonder about the bandwidth limit on come cards. I have Verizon and really like the service, but don't want to get hosed by a company saying I'm using too much bandwidth. Words of advice?
Thanks

Malaki86 01-20-2007 03:13 PM

I've yet to have sprint say anything to me about my bandwidth usage - and i use a lot of it.

tootie04 01-20-2007 03:37 PM

We just bought the new broadband sprint aircard.... all i can say is WOW!! I cannot believe the speed of this thing!! It is great!! :lol:

with a new contract (we added a line) it was 159.99 and 50.00 per month unlimited!!

tootie

btinc 01-20-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trucker4Life
Anyone using an aircard with the Slingbox? I have read a few people using Slingbox, but wonder about the bandwidth limit on come cards. I have Verizon and really like the service, but don't want to get hosed by a company saying I'm using too much bandwidth. Words of advice?
Thanks

Slingbox works well in the board band areas with the sprint u720 and the Revision A cards. Even in the 1xRtt area it works but at times picture can be a little grainy. Unlike Verizon sprint does not have bandwidth limit. It is truly unlimited.