Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Down to 3 companies/types (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/23947-down-3-companies-types.html)

rcpilot 01-16-2007 11:07 PM

Down to 3 companies/types

O.K. I'm down to choosing between flatbed, refer/dry van and portable parking lot.... the flatbed and car hauler pays more.... I have 4 months exp with walking floors and tankers (smooth bore). Whats your experience say to which way I should lean... I know it's going to come down to my decision but would like some opinions :D

Thanks

dieselgrl 01-16-2007 11:55 PM

Re: Down to 3 companies/types

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcpilot
O.K. I'm down to choosing between flatbed, refer/dry van and portable parking lot.... the flatbed and car hauler pays more.... I have 4 months exp with walking floors and tankers (smooth bore). Whats your experience say to which way I should lean... I know it's going to come down to my decision but would like some opinions :D

Thanks

Like you said, it's up to you... but with van or flats you have more companies to choose from. I don't know what the chances are of getting hired as a carhauler with only 4 months exp. With the larger van/flat companies, you're still looking at having to go out with a trainer in most cases.

rcpilot 01-17-2007 04:44 AM

United Road is willing to bring me on... just can't find alot of info on them... saw one of their trucks at my Nissan Dealer one day and thats how I found out about them... seriously looking at TMC right now for flatbed...

danj_otr 01-17-2007 05:09 AM

I was under the impression that most companies that hire someone on as a Car Hauler driver required quite a bit of previous trucking experience. Am I wrong?

mikey4069 01-17-2007 05:22 AM

yep your wrong . :roll:

mikey4069 01-17-2007 05:26 AM

A friend of mine did it right out of school but i do think its rare .

GoldiesPlating 01-17-2007 06:13 AM

TMC TMC TMC ! ! ! hehehe, but that's just MY opinion. :wink: :lol:

rcpilot 01-17-2007 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating

I'm filling the app out as we post!!!! :D

kc0iv 01-17-2007 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldiesPlating

GoldiesPlating Now you wouldn't be biased any way would you? :D

kc0iv

Goin Fer It 01-17-2007 08:07 PM

I am re-posting my reply from another thread! As I stated it will vary from different companies so you would have to find out from the company that you will be looking into.

In my husbands short experience with both May Trucking and Davis Transport.

Flat bedding pluses at Davis
1. Not as much waiting for a load appointment
2. No funky delivery times like Midnight then not being able to find a parking spot at a truck stop.
3. With Davis much longer runs.
4. With Davis at least even during the slow time he is running allot of miles.
5. For us more home time or should I say we see him more because Davis runs the I-90 more than May Trucking did.
6. Tarping is physical work that helps keep him in shape.
7. He only has to tarp about once a week because of the long runs.
8. Receivers will generally take the load early vs waiting for your delivery time.
9. The docks are not funky drops like some of the dry van or reefer places.

Flat bedding downfalls.
1. It is sometimes slow tarping a load depending on what you have.
2. You will get dirty.
3. Davis has flat-top cabs for new drivers as does many other flatbed companies. (They are upgrading there whole fleet to Kennworth Condos so eventually this will not be an issue with Davis).

I do not know how TMC is or where they run. I can speak of how many miles or how long the runs are or how much you will be tarping. This is something you will have to find out from TMC drivers.

I am just listing the things we know that we have personally experienced between the two.

Goin Fer It's Wife