Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   S10 and Super 10 tranies (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/23587-s10-super-10-tranies.html)

shovelhead791 01-06-2007 11:48 AM

All thanks for the replies. I just wanted to get the straight scoop, especially when the person on the other end of the phone tells you "It's the industry standard" :shock: Not that I think someone would blow smoke up my arse but just wanted to be sure.

Malaki86 01-06-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classicxl
why super 10's are the easiest transmission in the world

I just don't like the Super's. Personal preference. My preferred tranny is a 13spd.

csramsey640 01-06-2007 03:29 PM

A super 10, you only have 5 shifts. 1/2, 3/4,5/6,7/8,9/10 If you start in 1st, you flip a switch push in the clutch(dont have to) and your in 2nd, you dont have to shift the stick.

Useless 01-06-2007 10:54 PM

Eaton Super 10 was a bit of a trick for me at first. Trained in a FreightShaker Classic XL, I called it the "Persnickety 10"!!

It did seem rather temperamental at first. After I got used to it, I loved it!! 8)

Birken Vogt 01-07-2007 03:36 AM

I've never driven a super 10, but being from the old school it looks to me like it operates just like a 5+2, which was of course hated by most drivers and even those who didn't hate it still liked a regular 10 speed much better.

To those who say the super 10 can be driven like a 5 speed if you want, well, I can drive my regular 10 speed by shifting 3-5-7-9-10 if I want as well, so as to still have only 5 shifts.

Why was the super 10 invented, anyway? What need did it fulfill?

Birken

lifespalette 01-07-2007 03:59 AM

CRST had Super 10's......loved it, especially in traffic. Didn't to much care for CRST but did like the Super 10s.

Birken Vogt 01-09-2007 03:10 AM

On further thought, I am guessing the super 10 is quite a bit cheaper than a regular 10 right? Because if I understand correctly the front box has only 3 forward speeds and the back box has a range and splitter like a 13 speed. So it is getting 10 speeds with the minimum gears (parts) necessary to do it basically.

Birken

Useless 01-09-2007 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birken Vogt
On further thought, I am guessing the super 10 is quite a bit cheaper than a regular 10 right? Because if I understand correctly the front box has only 3 forward speeds and the back box has a range and splitter like a 13 speed. So it is getting 10 speeds with the minimum gears (parts) necessary to do it basically.

Birken

No!! I'm not a mechanic, so if I tried to explain it, I would only confuse you.

Birken Vogt 01-09-2007 03:28 AM

No what? No it is not cheaper or no it is not set up with the gears like that?

Birken

Useless 01-09-2007 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Birken Vogt
No what? No it is not cheaper or no it is not set up with the gears like that?

No, it's not cheaper, and no, that is not how the gears are configured.

I'm not meaning to be a smart ass here; it's just that I'm severely dyslexic, and I am absolutely "Useless" when it comes to attempting to explain matters such as this.

I will try:

On a standard 10, you will shift through all of your lower gears, then split the shift, and repeat the same pattern going through your higher gears.

1...shift to 2...shift to 3....shift to 4....shift to 5... Now, SPLIT, then resume shifting into your upper gears by repeating the same pattern that you used for the lower gears.

On a Super 10, you split every shift... for example:

1...split, but don't shift...2....split/shift...3...split, but don't shift...4...split, shift, etc.

See, I told you that I'm no good at trying to explain this!!

Birken