Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Dangerous Road (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/23491-dangerous-road.html)

Kevinz 12-31-2006 01:59 AM

Dangerous Road

Happy New Year Guys!

I went by I 77 in VA last week. In between mile 100-90, the hill is 8%, 7 miles long, and it is a FOG AREA! I should plan to go through there in day time. While I did not know. I feel it is quite danger.

Experienced drivers, PLEASE feel free and post some dangerous areas, let other driver know, plan ahead or avoid to choose it...You may save a life, prevent an accident...

THANKS!!

Malaki86 12-31-2006 02:16 AM

That's not a dangerous road at all. Just control the speed going down the hills and slow down even more when it's foggy out. I've made hundreds of trips on I-77 from NC through WV and have only seen a couple wrecks on it.

ordinaryguy 12-31-2006 02:21 AM

I-77 in VA doesnt have 100-90 mile marker, maybe he's thinking of Fancy Gap, which is between MM 9 and 1? Fancy Gap is dangerous when the winds are gusty, but damn it is quite gorgeous through there

Malaki86 12-31-2006 02:24 AM

Ya - he's gotta be thinking of Fancy Gap - it's the only really long hill there.

For dangerous, try US 50 in eastern WV, US 33 from Elkins WV to Harrisonburg, VA, US 250 from Wheeling WV south.

There's plenty more of those.

Kevinz 12-31-2006 02:25 AM

Thanks for your reply. Could you please list some part of road we need to pay extra caution,Please.

Malaki86 12-31-2006 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevinz
Thanks for your reply. Could you please list some part of road we need to pay extra caution,Please.

Pretty much the entire length of I68 from Morgantown, WV to Hancock, MD - there's some really steep grades there, plus the weather changes constantly. Plus, when heading west, there's 13miles of downgrade coming into Cumberland. If you don't gear it proper, you'll smoke your brakes long before you get to the bottom (in a 40mph turn). Best bet there, ignore the trucks flying past you and do the posted limits (45mph from the weigh station until you get through Cumberland).

Kevinz 12-31-2006 02:31 AM

Thanks a lot my friends!

Krzysztof 12-31-2006 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaki86
Quote:

Pretty much the entire length of I68 from Morgantown, WV to Hancock, MD - there's some really steep grades there, plus the weather changes constantly. Plus, when heading west, there's 13miles of downgrade coming into Cumberland. If you don't gear it proper, you'll smoke your brakes long before you get to the bottom (in a 40mph turn). Best bet there, ignore the trucks flying past you and do the posted limits (45mph from the weigh station until you get through Cumberland).

I live at the bottom of that 90 degree turns :) Its actually an S turn, and slightly off camber. Headed eastbound is the worst tho, you have that 40mph turn with the wall (a.k.a. "moose curve" to us locals because of the moose lodge behind the wall... the wall was built to funnel trucks around the turn after several trucks ran off the road and into the houses that used to be there.). Westbound on I68 thru Cumberland isn't bad tho because you come across the cross town bridge before hitting the turns.

If you're headed eastbound just after exit 40 in I68 there is a brake check area... please check your brakes there... ALOT of people don't but you need to its about 6-7 miles downgrade ending with that 90 degree lefthander right after the steepest part of the downgrade. I for one know I'll stop there EVERYTIME i pass thru it because I've seen what happens first hand (was a volunteer firefighter there growing up).

Rt 128 from TN -> NC isn't pretty either :) Someone has gotta have the webpage for pics of it somewhere... I used to but misplaced it. But yeah... you couldn't get me on that road in a car much less a 18wheeler. Maybe on a motorcycle just because the curves would be FUN.

Happy New Year everyone! Be safe!

Kevinz 12-31-2006 03:14 AM

Your information is very useful.

Krzysztof 12-31-2006 03:19 AM

TY :) And look at my location. I know cumberland :) There are a few dangerous roads out there. Just keep an eye on the signage. Odds are if there's a marked place for "Brake Check" its probably a GOOD idea despite where you are in ur 3hr/150mile tiem frame.

Kevinz 12-31-2006 03:29 AM

Dear friends,

I understand I should use low gear for deep hill, while my question, low gear is good for control speed but when I come to a turn, I need a little power to let my tractor PULL the trailer, I can't get pull power when using low gear. It may cause Jack-knife. How to do?

Kevin

mtdewr 12-31-2006 06:04 AM

Rt 128 from TN -> NC isn't pretty either :) Someone has gotta have the webpage for pics of it somewhere... I used to but misplaced it. But yeah... you couldn't get me on that road in a car much less a 18wheeler. Maybe on a motorcycle just because the curves would be FUN.

Happy New Year everyone! Be safe![/quote]
The locals call this the "dragon". The alternate route would be to take I-40 if possible!! There are alot of motorcycles that LOVE the dragon because of the curves and have caused alot of accidents. If you have to take this road...be very careful. :?

I will look for the website for the info on this and will post it in the next day or so.

LadyNorthStar 12-31-2006 06:38 AM

Advice given to me by an old timer Alcan veteran.....

"I ain't never seen a bad road, but I sure seen a lot of bad drivers"

mtdewr 12-31-2006 06:49 AM

Found the site! www.moonshinephoto.com This shows the curves and blogs from some of the motorcycle riders. This is a beautiful area but very dangerous.

Hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year!!!

Mtdewr

Mr. Ford95 01-02-2007 08:50 PM

Trucks aren't even supposed to be on Rt. 128/ "The Dragon". Someone posted a link here a while back that showed many trucks either wrecked or stuck because they could not make the turn or the landing gear hung on the road.

ordinaryguy 01-03-2007 01:02 AM

actually "The Dragon" is not on the list of restrictred routes i believe. the website to the Dragon is www.tailofthedragon.com

but "The Dragon" does look fun though, not in an 80,000 pound bullet though heh

mikey4069 01-03-2007 01:07 AM

All roads are dangerous as long as there are 4 wheelers on them . :)

Kevinz 01-03-2007 04:55 AM

Fell free, please make it more complete.

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Mr. Ford95 01-03-2007 10:12 PM

It is not listed but it is a given that a truck doesn't belong there. They supposedly had warning signs up that tell trucks to find another route. Some company's have even told their drivers to stay away from that route while others still route their drivers across it. Not a good place to hang your landing gear because of a high center in the roadway or hit a turn that is so tight that your front end is off the other side of the road while your trailer is dangling down the hill on the other side.

dieselgrl 01-04-2007 12:59 AM

For the record, it's US 129, not 128.

It's not prohibited, per say.... but it's extremely strongly recommended that you don't take it.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/pics2...cks/092105.jpg
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/pics2.../newNCsign.jpg

uglymutt 01-04-2007 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyNorthStar
"I ain't never seen a bad road, but I sure seen a lot of bad drivers"

BINGO , yes the road is only as good as your expierence and your actions. Anyone for a game of yathzee?

yoopr 01-04-2007 04:38 AM

Most dangerous Road is in Baghdad in AO Sword.

Roadhog 01-04-2007 05:00 AM

There is often tell tale signs of a dangerous road ahead.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...oadSign8-1.jpg

Up North...roads in the Spring that have Frost restrictions are usually loaded with Bear...ready to bust a Trucker.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...and10/bear.jpg

yoopr 01-04-2007 05:12 AM

Those are grizzlies-where did you find them? :P

Roadhog 01-04-2007 05:22 AM

:lol: ...only an old grizzly fart like you would notice that. :? :P

But I saw a scene just like this more than once in your neighborhood...only Blackies of course. Many, many times ...I've seen young cubs on the road in the Spring...and the hair on the back of your neck says RUN DUMMY RUN :P

We are getting more and more Bear here again too. We have one that is always knocking over trash cans around town. I remember as a kid...we use to get visited several times a week. It was my job to get outta bed and go out back and bang pots and pans together to chase them away. We had an outdoor outhouse then too. They would tip that over. :evil:

Roadhog 01-04-2007 05:27 AM

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...d10/badday.jpg

There are more dangers than just hills and curves. Logging and mining roads are fun. Boulders rolling down a hillside, mudslides, Bigfoot...etc.

terrylamar 01-04-2007 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadhog
:lol: ...only an old grizzly fart like you would notice that. :? :P

But I saw a scene just like this more than once in your neighborhood...only Blackies of course. Many, many times ...I've seen young cubs on the road in the Spring...and the hair on the back of your neck says RUN DUMMY RUN :P

We are getting more and more Bear here again too. We have one that is always knocking over trash cans around town. I remember as a kid...we use to get visited several times a week. It was my job to get outta bed and go out back and bang pots and pans together to chase them away. We had an outdoor outhouse then too. They would tip that over. :evil:

The Black Bear was eliminated long ago in Texas. In the last few years Black Bears are crossing into Texas from Mexico. We have a growing population along the border in remote areas.

yoopr 01-04-2007 05:31 AM

Black bears don't bother me Unless it's in the Spring and the Sow is with Cubs. Don't want to be within 50 miles of that combination.

allan5oh 01-04-2007 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr
Black bears don't bother me Unless it's in the Spring and the Sow is with Cubs. Don't want to be within 50 miles of that combination.

I've heard from my moms uncle who used to work for the BC government that black bears can actually be worse then grizzlies. He's seen some pretty gruesome stuff.

allan5oh 01-04-2007 06:58 AM

My nomination for BRUTAL highway is the 502 in northwestern ontario between international falls and dryden.

16% grade! YES SIXTEEN PERCENT. Not very long though. Other then that, the highway is pretty damn narrow and windy. Could be worse though, but that 16% takes the cake.

proffit 01-04-2007 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allan5oh
My nomination for BRUTAL highway is the 502 in northwestern ontario between international falls and dryden.

16% grade! YES SIXTEEN PERCENT. Not very long though. Other then that, the highway is pretty damn narrow and windy. Could be worse though, but that 16% takes the cake.

lol that highway is actually was a logging road at 1 time. and if u know anything about logging roads, the excavator and dozer ops are normally stoned and drunk outta thier minds back in the day these things were made. thier are of course other non highway roads in nw ont that are funnier to see, where u get pulled up and pulled down by a set of d8 dozers.

uglymutt 01-04-2007 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadhog
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...d10/badday.jpg

There are more dangers than just hills and curves. Logging and mining roads are fun. Boulders rolling down a hillside, mudslides, Bigfoot...etc.

Please don,t show this to my wife, she thinks logging roads are dangerous and won,t let me run with the pack...

Windwalker 01-05-2007 01:30 AM

I've seen FANCY GAP with fog. If the driver is not familiar with it, he/she can get into serious trouble. The fog can get pretty thick, even in daylight. The best I've come up with is to listen to NOAH WEATHER RADIO for the local forcasts and conditions. Weather Channel may not say anything about it. Just be sure your tail lights are clean and bright when you drive in fog.

Skywalker 01-05-2007 02:03 AM

If you are concerned about steep grades.... stay off of US-40 also known as National Road between Uniontown, PA and Keyser's Ridge, MD. There are 13%, yes... 13% grades on that road, and that is up and down hill. It is a legal truck route, but it is not for neophytes.....especially in bad weather or wintertime.

allan5oh 01-05-2007 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proffit
lol that highway is actually was a logging road at 1 time. and if u know anything about logging roads, the excavator and dozer ops are normally stoned and drunk outta thier minds back in the day these things were made. thier are of course other non highway roads in nw ont that are funnier to see, where u get pulled up and pulled down by a set of d8 dozers.

Yeah tell me about it, most of the highway isn't that bad, but that grade is insane. Better not miss a shift! I used to take that highway a lot, either bringing up recycled paper from the twin cities or taking paper from kenora down. Back when 71 was closed to trucks. First time I went down it, I almost hit a moose.

Too bad they closed that Kenora mill. I heard 17 was shut down west of Dryden due to trucks(yet again). Did you hear anything about that?

allan5oh 01-05-2007 07:26 AM

Found a link

http://www.cjob.com/news/index.aspx?src=loc&rem=55379

Double R 01-05-2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skywalker
If you are concerned about steep grades.... stay off of US-40 also known as National Road between Uniontown, PA and Keyser's Ridge, MD. There are 13%, yes... 13% grades on that road, and that is up and down hill. It is a legal truck route, but it is not for neophytes.....especially in bad weather or wintertime.

That road is fun(in a car :D ) I have had delivers along that road and even being light coming down can be a mess. When it says speed limit 10MPH THEY MEAN IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roadhog 01-08-2007 12:19 PM

wtf....STAMPEDE!!!!!!!!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...nd10/yehaw.jpg

Kevinz 01-10-2007 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krzysztof
TY :) And look at my location. I know cumberland :) There are a few dangerous roads out there. Just keep an eye on the signage. Odds are if there's a marked place for "Brake Check" its probably a GOOD idea despite where you are in ur 3hr/150mile tiem frame.

Dear friend,

Cumberland of what State?

:)

Malaki86 01-10-2007 08:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krzysztof

Dear friend,

Cumberland of what State?

:)

Cumberland, MD - I68