Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   What happens if you're caught driving an ATV with a CDL? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20582-what-happens-if-youre-caught-driving-atv-cdl.html)

Douglas 09-19-2006 12:53 AM

What happens if you're caught driving an ATV with a CDL?

I know they crack down harder on CDL drivers as far as speeding and DUI's go, but what about getting caught driving a 4-wheeler on a dirtroad or paved road?

duck 09-19-2006 12:55 AM

Dunno - I have only heard of a guy on ATV get busted for operating ATV on public road - had nothing to do with his license.

1st mistake was getting caught -- I know of no Crown Vic that can handle the woods or a field like a quad :wink:

yoopr 09-19-2006 01:18 AM

Don't understand your question but your CDL IS your license and if you get tickets driving anything it's on your CDL

duck 09-19-2006 01:22 AM

Thats when you look the officer in the eye and tell him you don't have a license on you. AFAIK there is no requirement to have a DL to operate an ATV. Operating one on a public street is illegal BUT no more illegal to do so without a license than with one.....

yoopr 09-19-2006 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duck
Thats when you look the officer in the eye and tell him you don't have a license on you. AFAIK there is no requirement to have a DL to operate an ATV. Operating one on a public street is illegal BUT no more illegal to do so without a license than with one.....

and that differs state by state

duck 09-19-2006 01:29 AM

I guess - I only know of MI and the one incident where my cousin got pulled over. Nothing on teh license - simply improper use of ATV on public road. He has/had CDL and simply stated he didn't have ID on him. Got a ticket he had to send the $$ in but that was it.

Was a while ago so mebbe things are different now but I don't worry too much bout it.......

Douglas 09-19-2006 01:34 AM

So I'd be better off telling him I didn't have a license rather than telling him I've got a CDL?

yoopr 09-19-2006 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas
So I'd be better off telling him I didn't have a license rather than telling him I've got a CDL?

Just check with your state and ask them if you have to have a License to operate it.

Douglas 09-19-2006 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr
Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas

Just check with your state and ask them if you have to have a License to operate it.

I was talking about one like a polaris or something, one that's NOT LEGAL on a public road.

duck 09-19-2006 01:42 AM

This is just ME but if I was pulled over whilst riding my ATV on a gravel road near camp. I would say I don't carry ID while riding (last thing I need to do is lose it) and then just give him my name. He would run it - descriptions match and I would be on my way with the ticket. Given AFAIK that a DL is NOT needed to operate an ATV (youth models sell like crazy and most 7 year olds don't drive) I can NOT see how they can ding your license.

Should it get to the license - I would fight the ticket in court. Simply tell the DA - you wil pay the fine but want it off the record, knock it to a civil disturbance or something. Most DA's aren't interested in teaching you a lesson but the $$ generated for the county. I have only had 2 tickets in my life - both one 12 years ago and one 9 years ago. Both out of state and nothing really showed on MVR - least my insurance never found it.

The way I see it - fight the ticket if local - it can not get worse (less you call the judge a flaming butt head or something) and you may catch a break.

JMO YMMV.......