Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   What happens if you're caught driving an ATV with a CDL? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20582-what-happens-if-youre-caught-driving-atv-cdl.html)

Douglas 09-19-2006 12:53 AM

What happens if you're caught driving an ATV with a CDL?

I know they crack down harder on CDL drivers as far as speeding and DUI's go, but what about getting caught driving a 4-wheeler on a dirtroad or paved road?

duck 09-19-2006 12:55 AM

Dunno - I have only heard of a guy on ATV get busted for operating ATV on public road - had nothing to do with his license.

1st mistake was getting caught -- I know of no Crown Vic that can handle the woods or a field like a quad :wink:

yoopr 09-19-2006 01:18 AM

Don't understand your question but your CDL IS your license and if you get tickets driving anything it's on your CDL

duck 09-19-2006 01:22 AM

Thats when you look the officer in the eye and tell him you don't have a license on you. AFAIK there is no requirement to have a DL to operate an ATV. Operating one on a public street is illegal BUT no more illegal to do so without a license than with one.....

yoopr 09-19-2006 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duck
Thats when you look the officer in the eye and tell him you don't have a license on you. AFAIK there is no requirement to have a DL to operate an ATV. Operating one on a public street is illegal BUT no more illegal to do so without a license than with one.....

and that differs state by state

duck 09-19-2006 01:29 AM

I guess - I only know of MI and the one incident where my cousin got pulled over. Nothing on teh license - simply improper use of ATV on public road. He has/had CDL and simply stated he didn't have ID on him. Got a ticket he had to send the $$ in but that was it.

Was a while ago so mebbe things are different now but I don't worry too much bout it.......

Douglas 09-19-2006 01:34 AM

So I'd be better off telling him I didn't have a license rather than telling him I've got a CDL?

yoopr 09-19-2006 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas
So I'd be better off telling him I didn't have a license rather than telling him I've got a CDL?

Just check with your state and ask them if you have to have a License to operate it.

Douglas 09-19-2006 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr
Quote:

Just check with your state and ask them if you have to have a License to operate it.

I was talking about one like a polaris or something, one that's NOT LEGAL on a public road.

duck 09-19-2006 01:42 AM

This is just ME but if I was pulled over whilst riding my ATV on a gravel road near camp. I would say I don't carry ID while riding (last thing I need to do is lose it) and then just give him my name. He would run it - descriptions match and I would be on my way with the ticket. Given AFAIK that a DL is NOT needed to operate an ATV (youth models sell like crazy and most 7 year olds don't drive) I can NOT see how they can ding your license.

Should it get to the license - I would fight the ticket in court. Simply tell the DA - you wil pay the fine but want it off the record, knock it to a civil disturbance or something. Most DA's aren't interested in teaching you a lesson but the $$ generated for the county. I have only had 2 tickets in my life - both one 12 years ago and one 9 years ago. Both out of state and nothing really showed on MVR - least my insurance never found it.

The way I see it - fight the ticket if local - it can not get worse (less you call the judge a flaming butt head or something) and you may catch a break.

JMO YMMV.......

GMAN 09-19-2006 01:42 AM

If you have concerns about your or his CDL perhaps you should get a copy of his or your MVR. I doubt whether this would be considered a major offense, even if it were on his license.

Midnight Flyer 09-19-2006 01:43 AM

:D Several months ago a lady and I were out on a date and had dinner in a restaurant where she ordered a drink and asked me if I wanted one. Told her I wouldn't dare as I would NEVER do anything that might jeopardize my Class A CDL! I worked hard for it, don't wanna lose it and hope to use it again someday! 8)

Douglas 09-19-2006 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Flyer
:D Several months ago a lady and I were out on a date and had dinner in a restaurant where she ordered a drink and asked me if I wanted one. Told her I wouldn't dare as I would NEVER do anything that might jeopardize my Class A CDL! I worked hard for it, don't wanna lose it and hope to use it again someday! 8)

There ya go!!! 8)

yoopr 09-19-2006 02:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr
Quote:

I was talking about one like a polaris or something, one that's NOT LEGAL on a public road.

Yeah I KNOW what a ATV is-we probably have more atv's and snowmobiles than any other state.
CHECK with your STATE :roll:

duck 09-19-2006 02:16 AM

I heard tho that if you offer to share your pasty - you get off with a warning.... :lol:

yoopr 09-19-2006 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duck
I heard tho that if you offer to share your pasty - you get off with a warning.... :lol:

that might work

Ian Williams 09-19-2006 07:32 AM

About three years ago in CA my Buddie got a ticket for doing donuts on the beach with his Jeep in a county park in Humboldt CA. The ticket was like $80 and said "Vehicle Play".

It did not effect his driving record or insurance. A similar "excessive display of speed" on the street would jack up your insurance.

But your mileage may vary depending on the jurisdiction.

happyhookin 09-19-2006 12:24 PM

I'm in a rural area and here the cops genraly won't mess with you if you are just crossing the road or riding along the shoulder, but recently a state cop told me he saw an atv going down the road, ran a stop sign then lied about it when he caught up with him. He wrote the rider the standard 7 tickets, no insurance, registration , tailights, etc., plus one more for running the stop sign. The 7 tickets are non moving violations here, but the stop sign ticket would not be good on your cdl.

If you are that concerned just stay off the road, if you can't stay off the road ride with some sense and be nice if you do get stopped. Attitude is everything.

COLT 09-19-2006 12:46 PM

I've been thinking this for 20 years now, why should my job be at risk for somthing i do on my own time? I think we should have more than 1 license, 1 for work, 1 for after work! Now in Ontario, thier talking about boating tickets going on your license! Hauling 140,000 lb over a mountain pass in Jan. has what to do with fishing in Aug? Croch rocket, nope can't aford the tickets, hot rod, nope... We should have more than 1 license! :evil:

west_coaster 09-19-2006 01:13 PM

Oregon's rule...

Well, at least here in Oregon, if you operate an ATV and you have no license yet (like being under age or just plain haven't got it yet), you have to have a state-approved certification card, which is gained though taking a class. If you have a license, and it's suspended, you get the same fine and ticket as if you were driving a regular vehicle. So, you if you can't drive, you can't operate an atv (driving while suspended $427 fine). That is unless you're on private property, then you can ride an atv, drive a car, whatever. But once you hit premesis open to the public, same rules apply as in a motor vehicle. So that's just in Oregon anyway, not sure about where everyone else is.

west_coaster

Windwalker 09-19-2006 01:26 PM

I know one guy that got a "wreckless driving" citation with a bicycle. Another one for DUI on a bicycle. Being drunk and "driving a boat" will get you a DUI these days. So, if you're on an ATV and have been drinking, you can expect to lose your license. I've heard of one that got a DUI on a pair of ROLLER BLADES. Even drinking and driving a farm tractor will get you a DUI. Now, put your CDL in the blank.