Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   New Truck Drivers: Get Help Here (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here-102/)
-   -   Tips for Rookies (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/new-truck-drivers-get-help-here/20345-tips-rookies.html)

CharismaticEvil 09-13-2006 01:39 PM

GMAN,

Well I completely understand your point of view, all you say is difficult to dispute as it's all very true, still, I can argue some of my points as well, but given that you're my elder, I'll agree to disagree. I appreciate you lending your experiance, please elaborate on the other points as well, or add new ones. :)

GMAN 09-13-2006 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharismaticEvil
GMAN,

Well I completely understand your point of view, all you say is difficult to dispute as it's all very true, still, I can argue some of my points as well, but given that you're my elder, I'll agree to disagree. I appreciate you lending your experience, please elaborate on the other points as well, or add new ones. :)

Elder, huh? I don't know how old you are, but I suppose that is probably true. :wink: I am always glad to share my experiences with those starting out.

CharismaticEvil, unfortunately, the professional truck drivers leads one of the most unhealthy lifestyles today. Truck stops offer limited food that would be considered healthy. Buffet's are heavy laden with carbohydrates and fat and are expensive. It is difficult to have a meal in a truck stop for less than $10-12. Sitting for extended periods of time tends to complicate the problem of leading a healthy lifestyle. I would recommend getting an electric cooler and taking some food with you to help save money and eat healthier. You can take some milk and cereal for breakfast and sandwich meats and cheese for lunch or dinner. You can also cut fresh vegetables and fruit at home and take them with you. I always try to eat vegetables at least once a day. If you eat off the menu at the truck stops, it is usually more healthy than the buffet offerings. I will also sometimes eat a Subway sandwich. If you are going to have a sandwich, that is about as healthy as you will find at most truck stops. I find the food to be better and less expensive at the independent truck stops. Starting out, you will probably have certain fuel stops and truck stops your company wants you to use. While I try to maximize my time when I make stops, you still need to take care of yourself. I have known of some drivers who take fresh vegetables and pre-cooked food with them. You can use microwaves at most truck stops to warm your pre-cooked meals. Keeping hydrated is sometimes a challenge on the road. I have a large container that I fill up when I stop. Most truck stops will allow you to get ice and fresh water at no charge, although a few have begun to charge. Water helps to keep your system flushed and aids in digestion. There are some drivers who will walk around truck stops to get some exercise. You just need to be careful, not so much because of being assaulted, but the way some of these people speed through them can be dangerous. Unless my wife is with me, I usually park at the back of the truck stop to get a little extra exercise.

When you are talking about "legal protection" I assume that you are either talking about personal protection or from tickets. If it is tickets, there are several which cater to the professional driver. Prepaid Legal and RoadLaw. They basically refer you to a local attorney should you ever need one. If you are talking about personal protection, you are somewhat limited. It seems that each jurisdiction has it's own laws. If you cross the U.S. and Canadian borders, you should be especially cautious. You may or may not have a problem if you should be caught with a gun in your truck in the U.S. However, if caught crossing into Canada with a gun, you will go right to jail and your truck will likely be confiscated. Your best bet is to stop in well lit high traffic areas. There is strength in numbers. For the most part, you should not have a problem. You should be aware of your surroundings. You could keep a piece of pipe or tire thumper in the truck, next to your seat. A tire thumper resembles a small bat and can be found in most truck stops or truck parts stores. They are inexpensive and should be legal regardless of where you go. They are also small enough to keep on your person. Hairspray or deodorant can stop someone if sprayed directly in the eyes. If you travel alone, you could make references to your husband or companion being in the sleeper, if someone gets out of line. I have seen women who could stop a big aggressive man in his tracks with a look. I ran with a woman for a while in the Northeast. She would talk to drivers on the CB. If they crossed the line, she would just stop talking to them. The guy might talk for a while, but he would essentially be talking to silence. We stopped at the TA in Connecticut and talked for a bit. She was petite and seemed nice. She kept a stun gun with her. I don't think whose are legal in some jurisdictions.

You seem to have some safety concerns. That is understandable. You are entering a new profession which you have little knowledge and don't know what to expect. Most potential problems can be avoided. Visiting with other drivers is good and you can learn a lot. Most truck stops have a drivers lounge where you can visit and talk, without it being threatening. There are usually other drivers around. You can be friendly without being overly so. There are a lot of other women driving today. Some travel with their husbands, others are paired with a trainer. Quite a few travel alone. People are less likely to give you a problem if they think you are traveling with someone. You can control most of what happens to you on the road. If you don't allow yourself to be in a compromising situation, you are not as likely to have a problem. Keep doors locked and don't open your door to anyone you don't know. Until 9/11 I never locked my truck and left it idling much of the time with the doors unlocked. I always lock the door, sometimes even at the fuel island. You may want to buy a porta-pottie once you get your own truck. They are fairly inexpensive and you don't have to worry about getting out of the truck in the middle of the night, should the need hit you. Good luck.