User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2013, 02:26 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Sitting at home waitng for bones to grow together.......

I'm on hiatus right now waiting for bones to grow back together and it's no fun, so I went next door to talk to an old man who was sitting on his porch selling produce. We started talking about produce, where it comes from and where it goes, and all kinds of supply chain distribution that I had learned first hand. He had lots of questions even though he was 87 years old.

During the conversation I realized how blessed I was to have experienced a part of our countries greatness by hauling just about everything under the sun. My conversation somehow eased the pain I often remembered from some of the frustrating times in trucking, when I couldn't pay my bills no matter how hard I worked, or companies that were poorly managed, or that were run by monkeys. I told the old man stories of some of the topography of this great nation, the weather, the beautiful strawberry fields of California, the tractor plants in Illinois, the beef packing plants of Texas and Kansas, and all the different kinds of people I'd met along the way. He said he'd never been out of Texas and didn't know all that was going on. I didn't either before I became a truck driver. I noticed that he perked up when we discussed how truckers contributed to construction, agriculture, manufacturing and every bit of development in this nation. I think sometimes people take this for granted or just haven't noticed as truckers go about their jobs without incident.

I had picked up a truckers atlas that morning, and every page in it I could point out dozens of towns I had delivered loads. I could recall a lot of them. What an education I had received, and in many ways better than my college education. It used to be "see the USA in your Chevrolet" when I was a child and we did some road trips, but who could afford the view that only truckers can get now? It is an expensive view.

To you future truck drivers that are reading this, don't be mislead by the romanticism of the road early on, but time will change your perspective later on after you've paid your dues, that is if you can endure it. Even some of the dispatchers I had that would drive me up the wall, I think I could sit down and drink a beer with them now. I don't have that anger that used to boil up in me over things that I should have been able to handle in better ways. I can now see why they did some of the things they did because of pressure on them......

That's what a severe injury, three surgeries with one more to come, will do to you. You'll discover what's most important is not what you thought it was. You learn that you are not indispensable or bullet proof, even if you are good at your job, and you put more effort into it than the next ten guys that don't really care.

You'll learn that trucking is a great career, and those that are able to persevere are rich because of it, even if their bank account doesn't reflect it.

I could go on but I'll stop here.........
Old 08-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

sounds like the pain meds are working

wish you good health and a good recovery

Old 08-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
sounds like the pain meds are working

wish you good health and a good recovery
No pain meds needed now, but maybe they did more damage than I perceived....
Old 08-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Board Icon

Excellent post, Slacker! You "date" yourself with your reference to the old Chevy ads! Haha! But, I know exactly how you feel. I have lived all over the country, and seen all but one or two states of it, and that was BEFORE I started trucking. But, the view from the windshield of a truck is a magnificent one, if one is inclined to appreciate it. It still amazes me that, in this day, there are people who have never seen anything outside of their own little state... or backyard. Yet... they feel they can opine about the "state of the nation."

Wishing good healing for your bones. But, worst case... you have experienced a healing of the mind and soul that very few Americans are even aware of. But, a GOOD life is a life lived good... whether in a small town or in a large country. You made that man's life BIGGER by telling him about things he'd never seen. But, I believe he made YOURS bigger, by telling you about how to enjoy life wherever you live it.

Happy trails. Keep us informed.

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:33 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I hope you get along well in your recovery, slacker. I have traveled ever since I can remember. I have visited every state but Alaska and Hawaii. I have also had an opportunity to go to Canada on numerous occasions as well as Mexico. There is something that I like about every state that I have visited......Well, maybe except for New York and New Jersey. We do have a very beautiful country. There is nothing like a western sunset filling the sky as you head toward California in the desert.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:50 AM
Senior Board Member

"There is something that I like about every state that I have visited......Well, maybe except for New York and New Jersey."

Hey, G-Man!! There's something I LOVE about New Jersey..... something i REALLY look foreword to every time I go there.

It's called......... "LEAVING"!!