User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2007, 03:29 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default SWIFT to Transport America

Yes I quit SWIFT after only 10 days with my mentor. He was an ***. This was back in late March. I don't think at the time I was ready to drive. I went back to the factory job and hated it for the next 6 months. Then after long discuusions with my wife and children I decided to try it again. I put an application in with Transport America and was accepted. Because of my very, very limited experience I had to go with a trainer for 21 days. It was a very good experience. They dont run you as a team like SWIFT does. Even though there are 2 of you in the truck you only drive as if there is one driver in the truck. In my opinion that is better for the new guys, because if your "mentor" is sleeping in the bunk and you run into some crap and need help yesterday you are S.O.L. and when you are driving an 80,000 pound weapon, lives can be at stake.

After 18 days with my trainer I tested out and got my own truck and will soon complete 90 days employment. I like this company and plan on staying for quite a while.

They start you out at 0.29cpm (student) plus the .03cpm monthly bonus which is realistic and attainable.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:35 AM
Senior Board Member

sounds like you made a good choice. i wouldn't have chosen TA but whatever you feel more comfortable than go for it.

Congrats
Old 11-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Senior Board Member

I am entering my 4th week of training and I drive as a team with my co-driver. I do not have a problem with it because if something comes up he will get up. He usually wakes up if I have to slow down for traffic, tolls, or whatever. I have learned a lot of things on my own. Remember, this is driving, not rocket science.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Rookie

You are right it is not rocket science. It is a lot of common sense behind the wheel of an 80,000 pound weapon. My opinion is that your trainer should be present (awake) beside you at all times when you are behind the wheel. Good luck coltsfan I wish you the best and please be safe out there especially with winter driving approaching fast, that is if you are over on the east coast. Colts Fan are you working for SWIFT?
Old 11-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Senior Board Member

you hit the nail on the head. the trainer does need to be up for your driving. and the last 2 weeks I trained with swift he just plaed his game and waited for me to ask questions, I drove like I was solo, just with him beside me for advise and constructive critasism. I'm glad to see you found a trainer that worked for you and actualy wish you both the best of luck. get your trainers numbers and ask them and other truckers for advise. Just becuse I worked for swift and was a new guy didn't meen they wouldn't help me. they were most generous and I'm thankfull. ok, am probably getting a little off topic so I'll close right here, bol to u
Old 11-25-2007, 02:42 PM

Hey Little Big Man i went thru same thing w/Prime inc. in April 07. I m lookin to try again! w/ either Millis or Central Refrigerated! at prime i never could sleep always had to keep movin Trainer in sl. berth. Never time to stop 4 pee brakes. Prime uses you as teamm 4 about 4 months to get ur training. Hey if any one knows if CRS OR MILLIS is better p Thanks guys and ladies!lease let me know! :shock:
Old 11-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio joe
Hey Little Big Man i went thru same thing w/Prime inc. in April 07. I m lookin to try again! w/ either Millis or Central Refrigerated! at prime i never could sleep always had to keep movin Trainer in sl. berth. Never time to stop 4 pee brakes. Prime uses you as teamm 4 about 4 months to get ur training. Hey if any one knows if CRS OR MILLIS is better p Thanks guys and ladies!lease let me know! :shock:
I those were the two I had to choose from I would go with Millis. The people that run Central DO NOT have very good reputations.

Are you willing to die to take them away from me?