User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Passed the Georgia CDL A Written Exam

Well, I passed the three tests (air brake, general and combo) this morning to get my CDL A lerner's permit. Not as bad as I thought. Now the practice begins. Since I am not attending a school of any kind, the learning will be up to me. Does anyone have the dimensions for the Georgia course? I can approximate the dimensions but it would be great to have a little better accuracy.

I will let you all know when I take the skills test. Any suggestions you might have that could help me would be great.

Thanks!
Old 11-06-2007, 10:00 PM
Board Regular

I'm from Georgia too. Air brakes and Combo wasn't bad, but the General Knowledge was just too long (didn't get it til my 3rd try, but on that 3rd try, I only missed 2 out of the 50.)
What do you mean by "dimensions"? Do you mean what all do you have to do on the driving test?
Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Passed the Georgia CDL A Written Exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexAtlanta
Well, I passed the three tests (air brake, general and combo) this morning to get my CDL A lerner's permit. Not as bad as I thought. Now the practice begins. Since I am not attending a school of any kind, the learning will be up to me. Does anyone have the dimensions for the Georgia course? I can approximate the dimensions but it would be great to have a little better accuracy.

I will let you all know when I take the skills test. Any suggestions you might have that could help me would be great.

Thanks!
One thing you might not know is GA requires you to take a Highway Watch(r) safety and security program.

I would suggest you go down to where the give the skills test. If it is like most area the dimensions are not a set size.

One thing you need to know inside out is the pre-trip. More people fail this than any other part of the exam.

kc0iv
Old 11-07-2007, 12:20 AM

By doing this without going to school,you could run into a wall.Most companies require you to attend a certified school.This is due to insurance.Good luck in your training.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:21 AM

By doing this without going to school,you could run into a wall.Most companies require you to attend a certified school.This is due to insurance.Good luck in your training.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 AM
Board Regular

You could have saved yourself the trouble and bought your CDL online. Just like people buy a degree online without setting foot in a college, both will be equally worthless.

NO COMPANY will hire a rookie with no formal schooling. YOU ARE SHOOTING YOURSELF IN THE FOOT WHILE PATTING YOURSELF ON THE BACK.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the input guys. As to getting the CDL A without a school I know where you are coming from. The good news, for me anyway, is that I already have a job.....all I need is the license. Insurance and everything else is squared away. I do imagine it would be difficult to get a job at a trucking company without coming from a school.

kc0iv - Your suggestion is excellant. I took the Highway Watch on-line course. I had my membership number before I took the written exam. It is an interesting course and has made me more aware while I am driving.

Douglas - by dimensions I mean the layout of the skills course at the DMV. It looks like the lanes are a certain length, the pull up line is a specific distance from the end of the lane and so on. Also, how wide and long is the parallel parking space.

Again, thanks guys for your input. I really appreciate it.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piece Of Work
You could have saved yourself the trouble and bought your CDL online. Just like people buy a degree online without setting foot in a college, both will be equally worthless.

NO COMPANY will hire a rookie with no formal schooling. YOU ARE SHOOTING YOURSELF IN THE FOOT WHILE PATTING YOURSELF ON THE BACK.
I never went to school at all for my CDL. Got my permit, practiced and paid a third party road tester for my test. I got a job and got some experience.