User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 12:23 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Car Haulers

I never see any posts on here about car hauling. I have looked at some of the company sites and they all seem to require a couple years experience driving and one or two want car hauler experience.
They also seem to pay nice, but I know transport companies don't give away money so there must be a reason for the higher CPM.
Any comments from anyone on car hauling?
Old 10-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

We have discussed hauling cars on the forum. I used to haul cars and there are several who post who now haul for car transport companies. It is rare to find a auto transporter who will hire you without at least 2 years of otr experience. Many want a year or two of car hauling experience. There are some good reasons for this requirement. Learning to safely maneuver an 18 wheeler can be a challenge in and of itself. Not everyone is cut out to haul cars. There is much more involved hauling cars than most other types of freight. You will need to learn how to stage your load and drive your freight (cars) onto a moving ramp. It will move as you drive on it. You must learn where to place various vehicles and how to properly secure them. It is hazardous work where you can easily get hurt. It isn't uncommon to hear about some who have fallen off of their trucks and been seriously injured. Extra caution must be exercised and it is critical to be physically fit. If not, then you will have some difficulty doing your job. It is easy to damage vehicles. One scratch can cost you thousands of dollars. Damage claims is the main reason most transporters want experienced drivers. I believe there are still a few who will train you to haul cars once you gain some driving experience.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:47 PM

Jayb, what would u like to know, I have about 1.5yrs hauling cars and I love every moment of it. The job is physically demanding, but its a great work out. Like Gman said damages can come easy, but in due time u will learn how to prevent silly damages.

There are several companies out ther that will train you. I am not sure where you live but Waggoners and United road are just two that I know of off the top of my head. If i had to choose I would start with United road. Equipment is much better and the drivers seem to be very happy.
Training can take up to a month for those that dont catch on quickly, but the rewards are great if u can stick it out.
Like I said I been doing this for a 1.5 now and I love it. The challenge of loads and the customer service is great.

If I can assist u will any questions feel free to ask
Old 10-21-2007, 05:50 PM
Senior Board Member

What about these guys?

http://www.pmtghome.com/driverrequirements.aspx

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 10-22-2007, 01:22 AM

The two companies mention are they O/O companies? are just company trucks and drivers? I was also wonder about car hauling before the first today. It sounds like a great job if u like to work and then drive..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobytob
Jayb, what would u like to know, I have about 1.5yrs hauling cars and I love every moment of it. The job is physically demanding, but its a great work out. Like Gman said damages can come easy, but in due time u will learn how to prevent silly damages.

There are several companies out ther that will train you. I am not sure where you live but Waggoners and United road are just two that I know of off the top of my head. If i had to choose I would start with United road. Equipment is much better and the drivers seem to be very happy.
Training can take up to a month for those that dont catch on quickly, but the rewards are great if u can stick it out.
Like I said I been doing this for a 1.5 now and I love it. The challenge of loads and the customer service is great.

If I can assist u will any questions feel free to ask
Old 10-27-2007, 01:51 AM
Senior Board Member

Waggoners is O/O and company drivers. They have really poorly maintained equipment- we worked there 3 years. They do train- or, at least, they DID. You learn a lot from other drivers, too.

PMTG used to be Bavarian Motor Transport. I'd be surprised if they didn't train.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:36 PM

Waggoners is a company driver and O/O company, he equipment sucks, but u have to start somewhere. They will train u and teach u just about everything u need to know about hauling cars, the rest of ur information will come as hands on training once u get out that and start working.

United road also has O/O trucks, but mostly company trucks. they are a good company. They haul alot of used cars out of the NE. I know several drivers there that are doing well and love it. They run OTR and get home just about twice a week depending on where they have to go..

PMTG, is also a very good company. I dont know much about them. They have enclosed trucks and use straps on the wheels to hold the cars in place. They're trucks usally have 8 to 9 cars on them.

I have any open carrier, any more questions feel free to ask......
Old 10-29-2007, 05:08 AM

Saw an ad today on the Pilot Challenge mag...you did'nt list how much if any exp you have or where your located so do'nt know if you fir this or not but here it anyways....

Precision Motor Transport Group
www.pmtghome.com

requires 1 year experience and hire in teh following states: CT,DE,IL,IN,KY,MA,MD,ME,MI,NH,NJ.NY,OH,PA,RI,VA,VT ,WV, also Kansas City, MO

and tehy provide paid training.. they state drivers avg. over 72,000 hauling luxury autos..

Hauler drivers here may know about this company.. I do not, just saw the ad and thought I'd post it for ya.