User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Wasn't good enough for Roelh.

Hi Guys. Been a while since I've posted anything. Last one was "Did I do the right thing". It was about having to have a sleep study done. Well,had that done and sat around for two months to find out I have mild sleep apnea. Nothing that requires a cpap machine,just positional therapy.I'm fine if I don't sleep on my back. During that two months of waiting I did a little more research and thought I would give Roelh's 7/4-7/3 a try. By the time I was signed up and off to orientation it had been almost three months since I had been in a truck.Little did I realize how poor my shifting skills had become in the time that had past. I certainly can't blame anyone but myself for this one. Although I still was able to handle the truck well, for the life of me I could not get my shifts under control. :sad: I did however get a few good points for not running over the lot lizard that ran in front of the truck during the road test.LOL! :lol: So,now as I recover from that embarassment ops: I'm weighing my options on what to do next. Could go with a company that has autos or more practice at the school I went to.Ahh... decisions,decisions I do know I'm not ready to give up. Thanks for everyones advice so far. It's certainly come in handy. :wink: 8)
Old 05-17-2007, 10:13 PM
Senior Board Member

I attended "Roadmaster Wholesale Diploma Mill & Freight Relocation University".
I know that they offer refresher training; perhaps you could check with the Freight Relocation University that trained you, take that & go back to Roehl.

That gap, along with the sleep apnea (to any degree) may prove to be very problematic, though.

BOL2U
Old 05-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Rookie

They didn't have a problem with the sleep apnea thing. I've got documentation from my doctor that says I'm fine. I've only just got home last night and the wifes had me pretty busy so I haven't had a chance to contact my school to see if I could come down to practice a little before the next time I try. I'm sure they'd let me for $.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:00 AM
Rookie

I got approved for orientation with Roehl and do the SE region. I been out of driving for about 2 months were they that anal about the shifting? Now it has me wondering!!! Just doing a test makes me nervous!!
Old 05-18-2007, 01:18 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by secretoktober
I got approved for orientation with Roehl and do the SE region. I been out of driving for about 2 months were they that anal about the shifting? Now it has me wondering!!! Just doing a test makes me nervous!!
Yes, they want to see you double-clutch every shift with ease when you take the final road exam before going to Evolution III. Fortunately, if you're sorta ok at shifting they'll just say "you have Evo 1 and Evo 2 to spend with 2 or 3 different trainers to improve upon your shifting." Hopefully by the time you take your Evo 3 exam you'll be fine. If not, they'll say "take a few more days out with a trainer and come back."

I took a 3 month hiatus between CDL school & orientation at Roehl, took a "40 hour" refresher, more like 6 real hours. I did fine, and you'll probably do fine. 95% of all the trainers at Roehl are awesome, and they'll help you get your driving up to par and then some if it isn't already.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2007, 01:21 AM
Rookie

I will be going in as experience driver so I will test in orientation.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:23 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
I will be going in as experience driver so I will test in orientation.
Yea they handle the experienced drivers a little differently. You might still go out for a week with another driver trainer just because, but it'll be shorter than the training period for a recent cdl grad.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:26 AM
Rookie

Are you still with them now and have you heard drivers talk about the SE Regional runs?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2007, 01:38 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Are you still with them now and have you heard drivers talk about the SE Regional runs?

Thanks
No I left Roehl back in November to work for an audio company out of Nashville. I'm their one and only active CDL-A driver there, and the experience I gained by working for Roehl has been tremendous.

I've been at the Ellenwood terminal many times and I've talked to the drivers who base out of there. The terminal is small, and it's always been said that freight is a little slower down there, but being based out of Gary, I was working loads in and out of Atlanta about equally if not more than I did pulling loads out of Chicago or Wisconsin. It really all depends on who you get for a dispatcher. If you get a dispatcher out of Gary, you'll be sitting for a half an hour waiting for a new load assignment on your qual-comm. Most of the dispatchers out of Marshfield are great and are really on top of things, mainly because all the trip planners are there under the same roof.

I only ran to Canada once, New England 3-4 times, and the Left Coast twice, but the area I covered was broad, oh about 39 states or so, and I rarely went to the same customer more than once.

Hope that answers your question.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:12 AM
Senior Board Member

I ran with Roehl in their 7/7 fleet for a little while a few years ago. Top notch company when I was with them (left due to a family emergency that caused me to come off the road for a while.)

I ran out of Ellenwood, it was a good little terminal, even if I wasn't thrilled to be so close to Atlanta at all :twisted: The people were all very friendly, and I didn't have problems with freight at all, but with the tight schedules the 7/7s were on, generally it seemed we were catered to before other drivers.

Black Heart - I'd go with the refresher if I were you. You just need a little more seat time and soon the shifting will come natural to you. I ground a few gears on my Roehl road test as well, and botched the living daylights out of the back (they had me hooked to a flatbed, and at the time I had only driven vans!) - but still made it in. Get some more seat time and practice. If you're having problems with shifting patterns, practice with a plunger on the floor - it does work. Just try not to let your nerves get the better of you on a road test - easier said than done when you've not been in a truck in a bit, but it's the truth.

Best of luck to ya!