User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Swift Orientation

Well, I returned home Thursday from Swift orientation. I think everything went well. Of the 25 people scheduled only 15 showed up. There were only 3 of us with previous driving experience and we were the only ones who got to do a road test. This was out of the Gary, In. terminal. I didn't have any real problems except I backed the trailer into the wrong space. Brainfart! ops:
I was on their simulator and it was pretty intense. :shock: Didn't crash but it did give me a headache.
Sooooooo, now I sit and wait for 1 to 2 weeks waiting for a call. :sad: My mentor will be based out of the Gary, In. terminal and when I'm finished I will drive regional out of Manteno, Il. That's only an hour and a half from my home.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Rookie

Excellent job !!! 8) ..Keep the posts coming. Give us the good , bad , and the ugly on your experience with mentor. God bless and drive safe !!
Old 02-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Rookie

Good job and good luck. I would like to here more about the simulator. What do you do in it? Any test to see how you would handle a emergency situation?

Thanks,

Marty
Old 02-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Rookie
Default Simulator

The simulator has 3 video screens. Two are at an angle and they show what you would see in your mirrors. They can program just about any situation you can imagine.
I started out parked along the side of a 2-lane highway. I pulled out and as I was accellerating a car came up behind me and passed on a double yellow line. Another vehicle approached before he got around me. I slowed down and let him in. There was a box in the road and I was able to safely straddle it. By the way, it was raining. There was a construction zone and all kinds of obstacles. They can change the weather in an instant. Day to night, fog, sleet or anything inbetween; in any combination.
The main purpose of this is to test your reaction time and your judgement of what's happening around you. It tests your decision making abilities.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm heading off tomorrow for the Swift terminal in Syracuse,NY for orientation on tuesday actually looking forward to going back over the road the local thing was quite boring driving around Boston,Cape Cod and Providence,R.I 6 days a week .Can't wait to get started a friend of mines just got done with his 6 weeks of training and got himself on a Lowes dedicated run .I should have gone straight to Swift when i got out of school instead of wasting my time at TMC then BH Trucking the way i figure it i would have been in my own truck now.Swift is not as bad as people say i have another friend making the switch to Swift from ROEHL because of lack of miles
Old 02-11-2007, 07:04 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Simulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by newolddrv
I started out parked along the side of a 2-lane highway.
...so this is just a part of Swift's training?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by motman68
I'm heading off tomorrow for the Swift terminal in Syracuse,NY for orientation on tuesday actually looking forward to going back over the road the local thing was quite boring driving around Boston,Cape Cod and Providence,R.I 6 days a week .Can't wait to get started a friend of mines just got done with his 6 weeks of training and got himself on a Lowes dedicated run .I should have gone straight to Swift when i got out of school instead of wasting my time at TMC then BH Trucking the way i figure it i would have been in my own truck now.Swift is not as bad as people say i have another friend making the switch to Swift from ROEHL because of lack of miles
Hey neighbor !!! Small world it is !! I live on the cape ( Yarmouth here ) Provided I make it through their school and orientation, I will be working out of Syracuse. Good Luck to yah In orientation.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:28 PM

Thanks Bluesman for the goodluck .I want to wish you good luck i actually live in western massachusetts i have a 4 hour ride to east syracuse tomorrow hey who knows i might see you out there one day
Old 02-12-2007, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Over 9 feet of snow just north of Syracuse. :shock: BTW, I'm from just east of Worcester(Wista) Mass. 8)