User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 04:32 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My Story - Part II

Hello all,

I came here about a year ago. At the time, I had just recently gotten my CDL, and trying to get into the trucking business as an owner operator.

I am a music teacher, have been ever since out of college. Happily married, with three children.

Last year I had a difficult time dealing with my career, and I wanted to change it for something very different. I think some of you might remember some of the conversations we had in here. Maybe not.

I had a turning point in my life, right before I was going to quit my current job. Prayer and really listening on the inside helped me realize, just days before I was going to go for it, that this is not for me.

I was born to be a musician, and to serve the church. I almost threw all of it away. The thought scares me.

Yes, many of you told me when I came in here, some nicely and some not so nicely , that I was making the wrong move. Well, it had to come from the inside. I had to get to the answer on my own. I am just glad the answer did not come too late.

Conclusion: I am so happy to do what I do!!! I am so excited to get up in the morning and do what I love most: play music and teach children how to do it also. The feeling is undescribable! I am so happy to be able to go to church and serve whenever I want to. I have time.

True, we live on a quite limited budget, but it is workable. We have not starved yet.

Funniest thing: I ended up with a CDL :shock:

This is my story. So far.

Best regards,
HorsePower
Old 01-10-2007, 02:33 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Sometimes it just all works out. Glad to hear all's well.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Board Regular

thank you

I did have to buy a car for myself, as my Ford Focus was falling apart on me.

I bought me a six-speed The truck I drove at the school had nine speeds only three more. I know, I know, the size does not compare (it is the new Nissasn Versa :shock: ) , but I love to shift gears, though I don't have to do double clutching.

also, it's a breeze to make right turns, not to mention backing up on the right

:lol:

thank you for the kind toughts
Old 01-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: My Story - Part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsePower
Hello all,

I came here about a year ago. At the time, I had just recently gotten my CDL, and trying to get into the trucking business as an owner operator.

I am a music teacher, have been ever since out of college. Happily married, with three children.

Last year I had a difficult time dealing with my career, and I wanted to change it for something very different. I think some of you might remember some of the conversations we had in here. Maybe not.

I had a turning point in my life, right before I was going to quit my current job. Prayer and really listening on the inside helped me realize, just days before I was going to go for it, that this is not for me.

Yes, many of you told me when I came in here, some nicely and some not so nicely , that I was making the wrong move. Well, it had to come from the inside. I had to get to the answer on my own. I am just glad the answer did not come too late.

Best regards,
HorsePower

Well, Hello, Horsepower!!!

I was one of the guys who was "not so nice" in telling you what I thought, but I am pleased to hear from you. Both you and your family have been in my prayers.

I'm just going off of memory here, so please correct me if I'm wrong; but this is what I seem to recall.

There were two things that set off alarms for me:

First, your commitment as a music teacher, and your passion for serving others was ringing loud and clear.

Your financial situation wasn't what you wanted it to be ,but it did work for the most part.

Secondly, you were thinking of vectoring off into completely uncharted territories. IIRC, your brother was also hauling containers, and he was going to mentor you. Fine, as long as all goes well. But let the unforeseen happen, and from what I could tell, you, and even more importantly, your family would have been screwed.

So no, given the stakes here, I seem to recall that I was not so nice!!

At the same time, I am absolutely delighted to here that you and your family are doing well!!! If you lose sight of your purpose for being put on this Earth, then the things that you do, or what you do for a living can become meaningless very quickly; when that happens, life tends to become even more difficult that it may seem now!!

Take care of you, and your Blessed children, Horsepower!!... And once again, thanks for letting us in on the follow-up story!!

Peace Out,
Useless
Old 01-10-2007, 04:36 PM
Board Regular

thank you for the thoughts, Useless.

Yes, I recall talking to many of you. It hurts to think the 'I told you so' of those around was the right answer, but truth hurts sometimes, and humblesness is a good quality anyways.

The answer had to come from 'inside' and from 'above' though, and I am sure glad it did.

I am humbled by the experience, and also very happy with the outcome.

Thank you for your words, now and before.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:42 PM
Board Regular

Hey Horsepower,

I do remember your posts. You did your homework. You listened to other people and more importantly yourself. Plus you waited things out instead of just going with your impulse -- Well done!

If you need to scratch that itch, there is still P/T local trucking. Pleasurable work is hard to find (especially as a rookie with insurance {person hiring} and lack of experience {you} ). It can be a real pain in the butt -- but the work (fun) is out there. Anyway, there is nothing like finding contentment in life. Congrats!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Board Regular

Thank you Nomad, I appreciate it.

as far as 'scratching the itch' maybe I'll offer to drive the church bus :shock:
Old 01-10-2007, 04:53 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
thank you for the thoughts, Useless.

Yes, I recall talking to many of you. It hurts to think the 'I told you so' of those around was the right answer, but truth hurts sometimes, and humblesness is a good quality anyways.
No "I told you so" coming from me here!!

I will tell you that I am proud of you for being willing to listen to the answers that came from within, and from above. It takes a great deal of moral courage to listen, and it takes maturity to understand that The Lord WILL answer your prayers, even though those answers may not be what you want them to be!!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to explore or create other options in your life; that is one of the ways in which we all have the opportunity for inner growth. At the same time, if we jump off into new ventures without educating ourselves properly, we can easily lay out the course for our own destruction.

Peace,
Useless
Old 01-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Board Regular

Quote:

as far as 'scratching the itch' maybe I'll offer to drive the church bus :shock:

I left the "P" out of my endorsements for a reason :wink: I hear you.

Not to steal your thread, but I am just a P/T (weekend driver) hence "the itch" comments.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Board Regular

it does feel kinda funny to be back on the forum though.