Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildK9
Quote:

US Navy Corpsman here, 84-88, slice dice and puree!
sorry for the temporary hijack, but i shoulda went in when i graduated back in 89. instead i joined in 2002 at 30 years old. got out end of 04. still miss it, but love trucking more.
I miss it myself, and seriously considered going back after 9/11. But it would have wiped me out financially to make such a move at that time.

But, I will tell you this, that short time in the service pretty much shaped my character to what it is today. I am far from perfect, but I look at things in a much different light. And it sure is allot like trucking. I guess that is why there are so many Vets out here driving, some of us just got to continue the adventure! :wink:
amen brother :wink:
Old 12-05-2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: what school dont tell you "Home Time"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickll
don't think that when a company tells you that for every 7 day's out you get one day off ... and think your going to be home every two weeks for two day's .... it don't work that way ... most of the drivers we talk to out on the road say they stay out 3 to 5 weeks or more ... we've been out for 9 weeks and going home tomorrow for 5 day's .... I think truckers should be able to get home more often ... trucking is a great life ... but it's also a real hard life if you like being home
Something I have found to be interesting ... Does the company have a "Home time" Macro and are the Driver Managers / Dispatchers measured on getting drivers home when requested?

Gordon Trucking is such a company. I believe Marten is one also. Since Home time is important to you .. researching and finding such a company might be better. BTW) Something else you do not like will also be there. It is a combination of things that make the job and you have to determine what is important.

Watkins Shepard has no home time macro but gets you home pretty regularly if you are in the traffic lanes for 1 off for 6 days on. I live slightly off the beaten path so I do 3 - 6 week stints.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Emerlin, where do you live?
Sioux Falls, SD. Why? Got any ideas on a good employer?
Like I said, I'm pretty much willing to pay my dues, just trying to find a company that'll treat me right when it comes to home time.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:56 PM
Rookie

Quote:

It all boils down to character. Either you have it, or you don't.
Best Piece of Advice ... I will heed it.