User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Dot physical (blood pressure)

I'm starting school Oct 9th and I need to take the physical this monday. The only part that concerns me is the high blood pressure screening. The few times I've had my blood pressure checked it's been border-line high. I'm a reasonably fit 52 year old that walks for exercise on a fairly regular basis. Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of testing ok? Drink lots-o-water maybe? I do tend to drink too much coffee and being dehydrated might increase blood pressure.

TIA!
Old 09-29-2006, 10:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Avoid caffiene all together for at least 48 hours before the physical. Also avoid nicotine as both tend to elevate BP.

Spend the weekend doing lots of walking, drink lots of fluids, limit salt intake, and when the time comes to get your BP taken relax.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Board Regular

Do all that was suggested above. I have borderline high blood pressure so I did all of the suggested things and I passed with flying colors. Since then I have continued to cut out the salt and caffeine, which has made me feel better.

Doesn't matter where you have been, it's where you are going in life that counts!
Old 09-30-2006, 06:38 AM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Drinking lots of water or whatever will cause you to have a higher BP. One common medication for BP is a diuretic which gets rid of fluids in your body. The less water in your system the lower your BP will be since it takes up room in your blood stream. The less volume, the lower the BP.
Old 09-30-2006, 01:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Default That's it.

I did the same thing. I just didn't drink anything for 24 hours before my physical. I passed no problem. But as soon as I got my 2 year card I just about tore the door off the soda machine in the doctors office. :lol: Good luck
Old 09-30-2006, 02:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Default JtotheP

You don't say what your weight is, but could be quite possible for every pound you lose in weight, your BP will drop a point. More exercise and less eating of calorie dense foods could do wonders for your BP. BOL
Old 09-30-2006, 05:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Who cares about your DOT physical- what about your health? Have you seen a (good) doctor about this? You need to be more concerned with YOUR LIFE than with passing your DOT physical.

Eating right and exercising are ALWAYS healthier than sitting on your duff eating Twinkies... unless you have a condition that exercise can make worse. There are medications you can take as well. You need to see someone about your health rather than looking for quick fixes.

I'm sorry if I come off rough about this- but I am more concerned about YOU than your physical.

I'm not sure that suggesting to someone that he dehydrate himself as much as possible to pass a stupid test is a good idea. Ask your doctor, instead, for a long term plan.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:57 PM
Rookie

I know you mean well Tweety Bird. I don't think it's like that though. Point A, Point B, never a straight line you know? I'm in good health but I do plan on getting a professional opinion that hopefully confirms that once I get some insurance. I've never had health insurance and I do plan on taking advantage of it just as soon as I get that magic card in my wallet.

Steve - you're right about diuretics. I googled for it and you're absolutely right brother, less water and therefore less blood volumn translates into lower bp. I guess the traditional advice to drink lots of water is to help with diluting sugars in the blood. So for a guy like me that doesn't have much personal history to draw on (and with a diabetic sister) my best plan might be middle of the road - exercise before the physical, avoid coffee, drink some fluids but not too much, and like that. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 09-30-2006, 11:18 PM
Senior Board Member

This whole BP thing has become a pain...but once DOT became fascinated with 140/90 were we all doomed!

Like 141 is gonna do ya in! :lol: