Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   Obama Declares War On China (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/38697-obama-declares-war-china.html)

Jackrabbit379 09-14-2009 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 462325)
They were talking about a trade war, not a fighting war, at least not yet.

Ohhh. Ok. :lol: I thought, "dag gum, Obama's short tempered". :lol:

Well, maybe in the future, we won't have anymore things being "made in China".

GMAN 09-15-2009 02:43 AM

I would love to only buy products made in America. Our industry didn't move offshore over night and it won't come back quickly. Industry can be encouraged to move their operations back to the U.S. We have a ready and willing workforce that is ready to go to work.

Jackrabbit379 09-15-2009 05:47 PM

Something I don't understand...the unemployeement rate is "supposed" to be sky high, and everyone is getting laid off, but yet, we still have stuff made "overseas". I aint dumb, but something don't make sense.

Rev.Vassago 09-15-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 462377)
I would love to only buy products made in America.

Wait a minute - earlier you said you were purposely buying cheaper products made in China. Now you are saying you'd love to buy only American made. What gives?:confused:

GMAN 09-16-2009 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 462420)
Wait a minute - earlier you said you were purposely buying cheaper products made in China. Now you are saying you'd love to buy only American made. What gives?:confused:

I would love to only buy American made tires, but until they start standing behind their products and get their prices in line with what I can buy elsewhere I will continue to buy where I can get the best deal. I used buy Bridgestone tires, but at this point their prices are much higher than I can get elsewhere and they don't wear any better than the cheaper tires.

Rev.Vassago 09-16-2009 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 462456)
I would love to only buy American made tires, but until they start standing behind their products and get their prices in line with what I can buy elsewhere I will continue to buy where I can get the best deal. I used buy Bridgestone tires, but at this point their prices are much higher than I can get elsewhere and they don't wear any better than the cheaper tires.

Congratulations. You just defined the entire reasoning against buying American-made goods, and defined why American companies are moving their businesses overseas.:thumbsup:

Dejanh 09-16-2009 01:11 PM

I also think that it is a bad idea to raise tariffs on their tires.....he did it for the unions and it will backfire.

Any kind of subsidizing is just bad idea, farmers and everything else. it keeps prices artificially high just so that some can have bigger profits even though market does not demand their products at that price...

GMAN 09-16-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago (Post 462460)
Congratulations. You just defined the entire reasoning against buying American-made goods, and defined why American companies are moving their businesses overseas.:thumbsup:

When I grew up the Japanese were just beginning to recover from the devastation of WWII. Much of what they exported to the U.S. was cheap and inferior. That has changed dramatically. Japanese products are now among the best in the world. There used to be junk coming from China. That has not totally changed, but it has improved. They still send some inferior products to the U.S. and other countries. Some of these foreign companies are partly or wholly owned by U.S. companies.

American workers used to care about doing a good job. Workers took pride in their work. That is no longer the case. There are some, but for many they only want to do the minimum to get a paycheck. My how things have changed in a few short decades. This country needs to change their attitude. Obama can raise tariffs on our imports to make them more competitive with U.S. made products. That will not solve the problem. I will pay a higher price if the product I want to purchase is worth the higher cost. If I am asked to pay a higher price for a product of equal or lesser quality then I will opt for the cheaper priced product. If there was a tire made in the U.S. that would give me longer use and the manufacturer's would stand behind their products then I would go back to buying U.S. made tires. By the way, if you drive a new Freightliner your truck was most likely made in Mexico. And Freightliner is owned by Mercedes as is Detroit engines.

Rev.Vassago 09-16-2009 03:46 PM

Do you support NAFTA? Did you support Clinton's trade agreements with China? From what you're saying here, you should.

TimberWolf 09-16-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAN (Post 462479)

American workers used to care about doing a good job. Workers took pride in their work. That is no longer the case. There are some, but for many they only want to do the minimum to get a paycheck. My how things have changed in a few short decades. This country needs to change their attitude. Obama can raise tariffs on our imports to make them more competitive with U.S. made products. That will not solve the problem. I will pay a higher price if the product I want to purchase is worth the higher cost. If I am asked to pay a higher price for a product of equal or lesser quality then I will opt for the cheaper priced product. If there was a tire made in the U.S. that would give me longer use and the manufacturer's would stand behind their products then I would go back to buying U.S. made tires. By the way, if you drive a new Freightliner your truck was most likely made in Mexico. And Freightliner is owned by Mercedes as is Detroit engines.

In my opinion we have employer greed to blame for the lack of enthusiastic employees. Companies for the last 30/40+ years have looked soley the bottom line of revenue while forgeting about employee
loyalty. "
Thanks for the 19 years of service Mr Smith but it is just not working out anymore" the company loses Mr Smith's 60,000 salary and brings in Mr wet behind the ears at $35,000 a year. you see it every day, the days of people spending 20+ years with one company are sadly in the past. How can an employer expect employees to put forth 100% if the employee lacks a secure feeling, our nature does not allow for this to happen. If at any one time an employee feels slighted they will seek out other employment or look for ways to get back at the employer ie. theft, lazyness, lack of enthusiasim, and in general poor performance.
"never buy a car built on Monday or Friday" it is a catch 22.

I too wish to buy American products at all times however when it comes to large purchases like cars it will come down to an evaluation the the product and warranties versus the American counter part. My wife's Izuzu Rodeo is an American built car owned by a Japanese Comapny it runs great and still has plenty of room to go. My 67 Fastback is an awesome car built to last by Ford, However My 06 Mustang Sucks I have had numerous issues with it to the point that I am ready to trade it in and am looking at buying a Hyundai Santa Fe, right now I'm busy looking at the differences between the Escape, the Eqinox, and the Liberty and sadly the foreign import is coming out on top with the warranty and across the board reviews, as well as pricing..
I always tell my father he and mom lived in our country at the best time when we were still new enough to know better but not quite mature enough to know best..

Timberwolf