Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   Amber lights in the cab? (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/26222-amber-lights-cab.html)

red12 04-10-2007 12:24 AM

Amber lights in the cab?

I was coming from Springfield,MO saturday and saw a Old Dimenion truck pulling doubles and in the center of the cab I saw a Amber light in the middle of the windshield what that all about?

Mr. Ford95 04-10-2007 09:29 AM

Could have been a satellite radio. I have one that glows Amber only because it is easier on my eyes than the blue color on the other models Sirius has.

Jackrabbit379 04-10-2007 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Could have been a satellite radio. I have one that glows Amber only because it is easier on my eyes than the blue color on the other models Sirius has.

That's what mine has. Took me forever to figure out how to dim it. :P

Snowman7 04-10-2007 05:06 PM

Some guys who have regular routes every nite have started putting a colored light on their dash so oncoming trucks who also run the same road can distinguish them from other trucks of the same company by the color and quantity of the lights in the windshield. LTL companies like Old Dominion for example so I would say thats what its for. Its a driver thing, nothing to do with the company, this way they can say "hey ya look good back thataway-seeya on the flipflop". They think its cool I guess. We call them "good buddy lights"! I know someone reading this has them so before you get all bent out of shape its ITS JUST A JOKE!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yoopr 04-10-2007 05:23 PM

Lots of times in the past we used to put a light to help cut down the Glare.
Maybe this guy had some electronic devise. Don't know.

Teal 95 KW 04-10-2007 09:56 PM

I think it's to cut down on glare, as Yoopr said. It sounds funny, but running an amber interior light can cut down on the glare you see out your windows. I always flip the reading light on by my bed when I drive at night, and it cuts down the glare drasticlly.

Larry Heyns 04-10-2007 11:03 PM

Red Light

I installed a red marker light under the dash to illuminate the floorboard area without interfering with night vision. One night, a scale master warned me over the loudspeaker about any red light at the front of a vehicle. Apparently, my little marker light was magnified by the lense of the safety window, and hit him right in the eye. So, I blocked the safety window with my waste basket.

red12 04-11-2007 12:12 AM

its not the first time i have seen them that is interesting about the glare your talking about.

Highwayman 04-11-2007 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7
Some guys who have regular routes every nite have started putting a colored light on their dash so oncoming trucks who also run the same road can distinguish them from other trucks of the same company by the color and quantity of the lights in the windshield. LTL companies like Old Dominion for example so I would say thats what its for. Its a driver thing, nothing to do with the company, this way they can say "hey ya look good back thataway-seeya on the flipflop".

BINGO. This is all it is, just a way for nighttime linehaul drivers to identify their buddies in the dark.

Quote:

They think its cool I guess.
More likely they do this to break up the monotony and boredom of nighttime linehauls.

yoopr 04-11-2007 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highwayman
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowman7
Some guys who have regular routes every nite have started putting a colored light on their dash so oncoming trucks who also run the same road can distinguish them from other trucks of the same company by the color and quantity of the lights in the windshield. LTL companies like Old Dominion for example so I would say thats what its for. Its a driver thing, nothing to do with the company, this way they can say "hey ya look good back thataway-seeya on the flipflop".

BINGO. This is all it is, just a way for nighttime linehaul drivers to identify their buddies in the dark.

Quote:

They think its cool I guess.
More likely they do this to break up the monotony and boredom of nighttime linehauls.

Right :roll: