Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   help with a GPS (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/26013-help-gps.html)

terrylamar 04-02-2007 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mtc_Is_Hell
I had 3 of the stand alone ones. Then went to Microsoft S/T It has a learning curve but is much better then the garmin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by terrylamar
I have Microsoft Street & Trips 2007 and love it for the detail available. You can even download satalite photos of the address you are looking for.

I, also, have a Garmin Nuvi 660, a stand alone device. I find myself using it almost exclusively. True, you only see one turn at a time, you can page through these turns and verify them against your atlas. I find it much more convienent than the computer base mapping program. It is much faster, provides more than enough detail. The controls are simple and easy to use. I have it mounted where I don't have to take my eyes off the road for more than a split second. It provides real time routing, showing you what the road in front of you will do before you get there. This has saved me more than once at night or driving in fog. I know exactly which way the road is going. I just found out a couple of days ago that you can drag the screen where ever you want.

I agree that it is all personal preference. For me I find the Garmin Nuvi 660 to be the best trucking aid available at any price. S&T provides more detail at a price I am unwilling to pay.

Having said all that, my computer is having problems. The cooling system is failing and it may have damaged my CPU or at least is effecting it. Once it is repaired or replaced I will revisit S&T. I may find the combination, stand alone and computer based the best thing going.

Malaki86 04-02-2007 02:28 AM

The one thing I did add to my laptop was a seperate 7" touchscreen monitor, and it's a Godsend. I have it mounted to my sunvisor, so all I have to do is glance slightly upward to view it. Same for controlling CoPilot, which is somewhat designed for touchscreen apps. I also have a seperate keyboard in the front of the truck.

The one thing about CoPilot, though, is that their tech support absolutely SUCKS!!! I've had 2 major issues since I purchased it. I've been in contact with them almost weekly over the issues since early December. Every time I talk to them they tell me a patch will be released 'next week'. Well, next week has yet to arrive.

The 2 issues are that the 'Save Current', which is supposed to save your current location as a Point of Interest simply is garbage. I've had it save a location 50 miles away. The second issue is the Live feature, which requires you to log off your account through their website if you exit CoPilot. It also has unknown people tracking you (and sending you messages asking why they're tracking you).

I'll be on the phone with them again bright and early tomorrow morning.

Roadhog 04-08-2007 11:36 AM

I just bought the Garmin 660. I haven't tried it yet. I hope I like it. I'm use to my laptop and Delorme. But...this is nice as it also offers Bluetooth phone use, and MP3 playback through the Truck speakers. Two things I'm sure I will like.