Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Anything and Everything (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything-106/)
-   -   Halliburton soon to be UAE Corporation (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/anything-everything/25502-halliburton-soon-uae-corporation.html)

Orangetxguy 03-11-2007 05:42 PM

Halliburton soon to be UAE Corporation

So Long, Goodbye, Good Riddance.

Think this about shareholder values?

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070311/emira...rton.html?.v=3

yoopr 03-11-2007 06:03 PM

Wrong-They're NOT going to become a UAE Corporation :roll: -Halliburton is opening its corporate headquarters in Dubai while maintaining a corporate office in Houston,"

Fozzy 03-11-2007 10:57 PM

And they still have one heck of big yard in Duncan OK...

ben45750 03-11-2007 11:02 PM

Just another way to avoid paying income tax's to the US.

Fozzy 03-11-2007 11:06 PM

How do ya figure? Maybe if they weren't the target of every bottom feeding democrat, they may stick around.. If I where them, I'd move too!

GMAN 03-11-2007 11:59 PM

High taxes and an overly burdensome regulatory environment is one reason Halliburton and many other U.S. corporations have sought relief outside of the country. There was a time when this sort of behavior was viewed as un-American. Now it seems more American to move to avoid taxes and too much government intervention than keep everything here. My guess is that the move is more an administrative thing than a physical move. There is less likelihood of the U.S. government interfering in their day to day operations if they are based in another country. They also have a lot of interests in that part of the world, so it is a fairly safe and friendly environment for them. I think I will move my corporate offices offshore.....perhaps to Mexico or the Bahama's. :P

ben45750 03-12-2007 12:00 AM

I'm for from being a Democrat, but anyone that does business with Iran is a bottom feeding company.

yoopr 03-12-2007 12:00 AM

It's a logistical move-nothing more-nothing less
Corporate is still in Houston and it has nothing to do with taxes

Fozzy 03-12-2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben45750
I'm for from being a Democrat, but anyone that does business with Iran is a bottom feeding company.

Why is that? Why not soak them sucker instead of giving it to the Europeans. Cutting off one's nose to spite their face should stop at grammar school.

Orangetxguy 03-12-2007 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoopr
Wrong-They're NOT going to become a UAE Corporation :roll: -Halliburton is opening its corporate headquarters in Dubai while maintaining a corporate office in Houston,"

From the above posted link;
{Oil services giant Halliburton Co. will soon shift its corporate headquarters from Houston to the Mideast financial powerhouse of Dubai, chief executive Dave Lesar announced Sunday}.

Yoopr... :shock: I guess I must be "One Stupid Guy" :roll: ...I take "shift its corporate headquarters from Houston to the Mideast" as meaning...The Corporation is moving to the UAE. I do not take it to mean, the "Corporation" is opening a corporate office...which they already have there...by the way.

BP has a Corporate Office in Cleveland(former Headquarters of Standard Oil of Ohio; SOHIO)..in Chicago (former Headquarters of American Oil Company; AMOCO)..and in Los Angeles (former Headquarters of the Atlantic Richfield Company; ARCO). BP's Corporate Headquarters though are in London. (actually..they moved to the suburbs of London in 2000..but who really cares)

Once Halliburton moves it's Corporate Headquarters to Dubai, United Arab Emirates; Houston will be just a corporate office...just as the "Old Headquarters" in Duncan Oklahoma are now...just a corporate office.

Of course...i am un-edikated. i dwive a twuck foe uh wiving.

PS; Before Atlantic Richfield was an oil company based in Los Angeles it was The Atlantic Refining and Marketing Company based in Philadelphia, and The Richfield Oil Company, based in, of all places, Los Angeles.

And yes...I feel that Halliburton moving it's HQ to a different country is an Act of Treason. Any and all tax breaks that Halliburton enjoys from being an American "Oil Services Company" should cease the very day that the Halliburton corporate "Flag" is raised in Dubai. Anyone whom feels that Halliburton doesn't enjoy special tax privileges over their French, and larger competitor, Schlumberger, is sadly mistaken.

sweepwing 03-12-2007 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozzy
How do ya figure? Maybe if they weren't the target of every bottom feeding democrat, they may stick around.. If I where them, I'd move too!

Fozzy. You really don't like the United States do you? Only you can find honor in a company that steals to the tune of $2.7 billion from the taxpayers.

You really disgrace the emblem at the bottom of your page. The taxes that Halliburton might have to pay by keeping the hq in the US just might go to help pay for some things that the army might need.

yoopr 03-12-2007 04:39 AM

Yeah you must be because you seem to have a reading comprehension problem. Halliburton is Keeping Corporate Offfice in HOUSTON-Headquarters in UAE for logistical reasons only.

Drove just as long or longer than you so stop the BS

Of course...i am un-edikated. i dwive a twuck foe uh wiving

Not my fault you're Uneducated

Fozzy 03-12-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweepwing
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fozzy

Fozzy. You really don't like the United States do you? Only you can find honor in a company that steals to the tune of $2.7 billion from the taxpayers.

You really disgrace the emblem at the bottom of your page. The taxes that Halliburton might have to pay by keeping the hq in the US just might go to help pay for some things that the army might need.

"Steals"? LOL!!!! Sounds like you're another selective crybaby who is selectively upset on what the feds spend money on. For the liberals and of course the ever present Bush hating camp following trollops to be so selective on government waste makes me laugh! I'd rather whizz away billions to working Americans and American corporations than to continue to poor the trillions we have spent on the millions of social re-engineering projected designed to spend the poor into prosperity. And when it comes to my son and his friends who also are my sons in a way, I'd also pick Haliburton to be there than the alternative which is a French company...

sweepwing 03-12-2007 03:38 PM

You should pray that the trillions of dollars going through the UAE isn't going to be used to fund shrapnel used against our troops. The UAE is the clean-faced mafia banker for the Middle East. He neither asks or cares who his clients are.

Halliburton is caught redhanded overcharging the govt $2.7 billion and that is being a selective crybaby? Halliburton hires as many non-Americans as they can to work on these contracts and they don't pay them well. They aren't spreading the $$ around to Americans nearly as much as you would like to think.

As far as social programs go, I don't like them either and I occasionally call my congressman to vent my spleen. Labeling anyone that you disagree with as a liberal democrat or bush-hater just shows your mental limitations. I am neither. Cheerleading the avoidance of investing in America and its citizens shows contempt for our nation and its people. Why do you hate our country Fozzy?

sweepwing 03-12-2007 04:05 PM

More for Fozzy.

You say that you don't like all of the $$ going into social re-engineering. What do you think that amnesy, unlimited foreign work visas, open borders, North American Union, and the Security and Prosperity Partnership are?

Please let us know.

sweepwing 03-12-2007 04:56 PM

From ABC News, but I can not vouch for its content. There are a couple of highlighted quotes that are of relevance to this thread.

By JAKE TAPPER

March 12, 2007 — Halliburton Co., currently the largest military contractor in Iraq with billions of dollars in Pentagon contracts, announced Sunday that it was planning to move its CEO and corporate headquarters from Houston to Dubai, the United Arab Emirates.

The move could eventually save the firm a fortune in U.S. taxes, but it is raising serious questions about its priorities and prompting at least one possible congressional hearing.

Dave Lesar, Halliburton's chairman, president and chief executive officer, made the announcement at an energy conference in the Kingdom of Bahrain.

Lesar said the goal of the move was to focus on Eastern Hemisphere "oil exploration and production opportunities, and growing our business here will bring more balance to Halliburton's overall portfolio."

Run by Vice President Dick Cheney from 1995 to 2000, Halliburton has a five-year, $16 billion contract with the U.S. Army and total revenues of $22.6 billion in 2006.

Energy analyst Roger Read says if the company formally incorporates itself in the U.A.E., the banking mecca of the Middle East, company profits will soar.

"You'd probably be looking at a tax savings of several hundred million [dollars]. … It's a win for the shareholders," Read said.

Move Makes Democrats Suspicious

Outrage over that possibility had Halliburton scrambling Sunday to explain it had no plans to incorporate abroad. Still, Democrats are suspicious.

"For one of the largest contractors with the United States government to move its headquarters overseas? [It] just doesn't look good, doesn't sound good, doesn't smell good," said Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y.

The move may raise serious national security questions too, as happened last year with the canceled port security contract with another U.A.E.-based company, Dubai Ports World. Congressional outrage scuttled that deal; Halliburton will now have some explaining to do to avoid similar scrutiny.

"Obviously a company that has its headquarters overseas should be given a little more scrutiny than an American company," Schumer said. "No question about it."

Halliburton is already being investigated by different government agencies for various allegations of improper business dealings, and it is in the cross hairs of Democrats in Congress for alleged overbilling.

At a House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing last month, chairman Henry Waxman, D-Calif., noted that a government audit had indicated that Halliburton was responsible for "$2.7 billion in suspect billings."

cdltpx 03-12-2007 07:50 PM

Where will it end

I have chatted with older men that get social security here and go live in Philippines where their money will go much farther than it ever could here. Not only do corporations do this some individual’s do so too. :shock:

Twilight Flyer 03-12-2007 08:27 PM

Quote:

The move may raise serious national security questions too, as happened last year with the canceled port security contract with another U.A.E.-based company, Dubai Ports World. Congressional outrage scuttled that deal; Halliburton will now have some explaining to do to avoid similar scrutiny.
That's gotta be an issue to consider, too. Granted, Haliburton is probably currently in the best position to support troops, but one has to wonder if that will continue. A move to Dubai would certainly save them millions in taxes, but if they eventually lose contracts because of that move, they will have effectively slit their throats.

In the short run, it'll create a U.S.-based vacancy for support organizations. Look for heavy investing to begin in current 2nd fiddles to take over that spot.

Fozzy 03-12-2007 09:07 PM

Quote:

You should pray that the trillions of dollars going through the UAE isn't going to be used to fund shrapnel used against our troops.
Why should the UAE be any different? There are enough American's doing the same thing through their action that are doing the same thing. The UAE is nothing even close to a lot of the "peace" groups based here are doing.

Quote:

The UAE is the clean-faced mafia banker for the Middle East. He neither asks or cares who his clients are.
So is the DNC.. SO?

Quote:

Halliburton is caught redhanded overcharging the govt $2.7 billion and that is being a selective crybaby?
It may come as a shock to you, but this isn't the first time that this has happened with civilian contractors and if you'd use you head for more than a hat rack, you would understand that Haliburton has given money back to the government several times. Wonder when the welfare and entitlement class will refund the tax payers for some of their goodies?

Quote:

Halliburton hires as many non-Americans as they can to work on these contracts and they don't pay them well. They aren't spreading the $$ around to Americans nearly as much as you would like to think.
Well Scooter, when they are operating all over the globe, they should actually employ the locals as much as possible ya` think? The port deal was just like this, should they just have imported their workforce as you are suggesting Haliburton do? How about All of these foreign car and machine factories here? Should they fire and toss all of the Americans out and import their labor to make you happy?

Quote:

As far as social programs go, I don't like them either and I occasionally call my congressman to vent my spleen. Labeling anyone that you disagree with as a liberal democrat or bush-hater just shows your mental limitations. I am neither.
If you walk like a duck..... I did forget to put conspiracy theorists and black helicopter enthusiasts to my list.

Quote:

Cheerleading the avoidance of investing in America and its citizens shows contempt for our nation and its people. Why do you hate our country Fozzy?
How much is enough? Haliburton employs thousands of Americans and pay them quite well in this and other countries and pays millions in taxes. The bunny huggers and global warming kooks have made investing on the oil infrastucture practically impossible. When Hillary suggested that she'd simply TAKE the oil companies profits to spend them on what she wanted, I'll bet they had to get the smelling salts after you.

(EDITED) I don't hate my own country.. (EDITED)

Twilight Flyer 03-13-2007 02:14 PM

Knock off the insults, guys. You're both getting out of line. :?

Yeah, the farm animal crack was out of line, but the anger was warranted. If I was accused of hating my country because I didn't go along with your ideas, I'd be ticked off, too.

hoosierdaddy 03-13-2007 03:10 PM

Wow! :shock: When someone disagrees with someone they get accused of hating their country? That's one hell of a whopper non-sequitr with an ad hom attack on top of it.

It must be the modern version of "inserting Hitler comment" when one knows they're losing the "debate".

How about the next time someone is accused of hating their country, the accused gets to kick the accuser's @$$, thus showing that they do indeed LOVE their country and are willing to do anything for it?

"Why do you hate your country?" You might as well have just said, "you win Fozzy; I'm bowing out of the discussion now".

Dejanh 03-13-2007 07:17 PM

When Hillary suggested that she'd simply TAKE the oil companies profits to spend them on what she wanted, I'll bet they had to get the smelling salts after you.

Please point where and when she had said anything in that regard and since everyone who doesn't have conservative type of thoughts is called a tree hugger or whatever else please also point to a single POSITIVE thing that has been done for the middle class since conservatism came to power..?
If you bash the others and dispute everything else said to you then move to Alaska or some other bum**** place where you can talk to the trees and bears because that type of attitude flows there, not here....

Denying global warming its like leasing to these 90cpm carriers and refusing to accept the fact that you are going broke

hoosierdaddy 03-13-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dejanh
When Hillary suggested that she'd simply TAKE the oil companies profits to spend them on what she wanted, I'll bet they had to get the smelling salts after you.

Please point where and when she had said anything in that regard and since everyone who doesn't have conservative type of (IDIOTIC by all means) thoughts is called a tree hugger or whatever else please also point to a single POSITIVE thing that has been done for the middle class since conservatism came to power..If you bash the other only without seeing where you come from is called ONE SIDED opinion and again, IDIOTIC...

Denying global warming its like leasing to these 90cpm carriers and refusing to accept the fact that you are going broke

I'll believe in global warming when I see the proof of it. However, when it was just discovered a few years ago that the earth is actually cooling, it may be hard to find the proof for global warming.

Just so you know I'm not a conservative or a liberal. I'm in between.

Dejanh 03-13-2007 07:30 PM

No, i didnt watch Al Gores movie that made me think that millions of tons of carbon dioxide released in our atmosphere can acctualy damage the enviroment we all share, i just started thinking for myself one day... :roll:

What proof do you need, you think that proof will happen in our lifetime or that somehow i can pin point exacly where is? Each year scientists from all over the world meet and discuss everything related to their field and just a months ago in Vienna i think statement was released where they all agreed that global warming is not a myth...i dont need to rely on anyone to know that not only carbon monoxide but much more can affect the air and ozone we all live in..

hoosierdaddy 03-13-2007 10:47 PM

Well, the proof I would need is probably records taken that show the world is warming up. And even if it is, it is not going to affect us. However, scientists have already said the earth is cooling.

Dejanh 03-13-2007 11:44 PM

Who said earth is cooling man, what the hell are you talking about?

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/index.html , no, this is not a conspiracy theory web site, its official US government site with usefull info about global warming?

greg3564 03-14-2007 12:17 AM

Quote:

http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/science/index.html , no, this is not a conspiracy theory web site, its official US government site with usefull info about global warming?

I'm far from a tree hugging liberal. I'm a conservative Republican. And even I believe from my own research that the climate is warming. Someone would have to be in serious denial to think otherwise.

hoosierdaddy 03-14-2007 05:30 PM

Quote:

Surely you can't tell me that you haven't heard the earth was cooling? What the hell are you smoking?

Dejanh 03-14-2007 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosierdaddy
Quote:

Surely you can't tell me that you haven't heard the earth was cooling? What the hell are you smoking?

What's Known
Scientists know with virtual certainty that:

Human activities are changing the composition of Earth's atmosphere. Increasing levels of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere since pre-industrial times are well-documented and understood.
The atmospheric buildup of CO2 and other greenhouse gases is largely the result of human activities such as the burning of fossil fuels.
A warming trend of about 0.7 to 1.5°F occurred during the 20th century. Warming occurred in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, and over the oceans (NRC, 2001).
The major greenhouse gases emitted by human activities remain in the atmosphere for periods ranging from decades to centuries. It is therefore virtually certain that atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases will continue to rise over the next few decades.
Increasing greenhouse gas concentrations tend to warm the planet.

Why do you reply on topics you know NOTHING about man????, were you raised up in those Canadian mountains so you have no sence of the need to STOP debating subjects you are not fammiliar with?????

You are far away from any Canadians i have ever came into the contact with, am telling you man and i have had contacts with bunch of those in my recent years..... :?:

hoosierdaddy 03-14-2007 10:16 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What's Known
Scientists know with virtual certainty that:

Human activities are changing the composition of Earth's atmosphere. Increasing levels of greenhouse gases like carbon dioxide (CO2) in the atmosphere since pre-industrial times are well-documented and understood.
The atmospheric buildup of CO2 and other greenhouse gases is largely the result of human activities such as the burning of fossil fuels.
A warming trend of about 0.7 to 1.5°F occurred during the 20th century. Warming occurred in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres, and over the oceans (NRC, 2001).
The major greenhouse gases emitted by human activities remain in the atmosphere for periods ranging from decades to centuries. It is therefore virtually certain that atmospheric concentrations of greenhouse gases will continue to rise over the next few decades.
Increasing greenhouse gas concentrations tend to warm the planet.

Why do you reply on topics you know NOTHING about man????, were you raised up in those Canadian mountains so you have no sence of the need to STOP debating subjects you are not fammiliar with?????

You are far away from any Canadians i have ever came into the contact with, am telling you man and i have had contacts with bunch of those in my recent years..... :?:

The fact is the earth is cooling. 'nuff said. I can't take you seriously or anything you say when all you have the ability to do is throw ad homs like you're throwing a Mexican baby.

You want to insult me and my nationality, go ahead. That's all you can do, so take your best shot.

In the meantime I have a question for you you have yet to answer. Since when does having an opinion on something depend on having a commercial licence? Following your logic you cannot have an opinion on science as you're not a scientist and you most certainly cannot have an opinion on Mexicans and illegal aliens as you are definitely not an immigration lawyer. I will keep asking you until you answer. Count on it.

greg3564 03-16-2007 04:37 AM

Quote:

The fact is the earth is cooling. 'nuff said.

MSNBC staff and news service reports
Updated: 3:38 p.m. CT March 15, 2007
WASHINGTON - This winter was the warmest on record worldwide, the U.S. government said Thursday in the latest worrisome report focusing on changing climate.

The report comes just over a month after the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change said global warming is very likely caused by human actions and is so severe it will continue for centuries.

And a NASA study reported Thursday in the journal Science found that an important counter-balance to warming — sunlight blocked by volcanic gases, dust, pollution and other aerosol particles — appears to have weakened.

As for this winter, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said the combined land and ocean temperatures for December through February were 1.3 degrees Fahrenheit above average for the period since record keeping began in 1880.

The report said that during the past century, global temperatures have increased at about 0.11 degrees per decade. But that increase has been three times larger since 1976, NOAA's National Climatic Data Center reported.

Greenhouse gases and El Nino
Most scientists attribute the rising temperatures to so-called greenhouse gases produced by industrial activities, automobiles and other processes. These gases build up in the atmosphere and trap heat from the sun somewhat like a greenhouse.

Also contributing to this winter's record warmth was an El Nino, a periodic warming of the tropical Pacific Ocean. It was particularly strong in January — the warmest January ever — but the ocean surface has since begun to cool.

The report noted that in the Northern Hemisphere the combined land and water temperature was the warmest ever at 1.64 degrees above average. In the Southern Hemisphere, where it was summer, the temperature was 0.88 degree above average and the fourth warmest.

The late March date of the vernal equinox noted on most calendars notwithstanding, for weather and climate purposes northern winter is December, January and February.

For the United States, meanwhile, the winter temperature was near average. The season got off to a late start and spring-like temperatures covered most of the eastern half of the country in January, but cold conditions set in in February, which was the third coldest on record.

Less 'sunscreen' for Earth
In its study, NASA described the aerosol effect as a "sunscreen" for Earth.

"When more sunlight can get through the atmosphere and warm Earth's surface, you're going to have an effect on climate and temperature," lead author Michael Mishchenko of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies said in a statement. "Knowing what aerosols are doing globally gives us an important missing piece of the big picture of the forces at work on climate."

Scientists extracted an aerosol signal from satellite measurements originally designed to observe clouds and weather systems that date back to 1978. "The resulting data show large, short-lived spikes in global aerosols caused by major volcanic eruptions in 1982 and 1991, but a gradual decline since about 1990," NASA said in a statement. "By 2005, global aerosols had dropped as much as 20 percent from the relatively stable level between 1986 and 1991."

The Associated Press contributed to this report

greg3564 03-16-2007 04:40 AM

The fact is the earth is warming. 'nuff said.

Dejanh 03-16-2007 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greg3564

Man its useless with this dude...came in on one ear, came out the other :lol: even though i gave him official link of the United States Government which is BTW ran by the Bush adm who just recently addmited global warming....

Fozzy 03-16-2007 11:15 AM

The earth is warming..for now.... EVERYONE PANIC

hoosierdaddy 03-16-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Man its useless with this dude...came in on one ear, came out the other :lol: even though i gave him official link of the United States Government which is BTW ran by the Bush adm who just recently addmited global warming....

English is your second (currently being developed) language right?

Dejanh 03-16-2007 03:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

:lol: , yeah, thats the way to go around the subject.....

hoosierdaddy 03-16-2007 03:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL nothing to go around. You don't make a hell of a lot of sense (even a Mexican immigrant would know that), and there is no such thing as global warming.

Dejanh 03-16-2007 04:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LOL nothing to go around. You don't make a hell of a lot of sense (even a Mexican immigrant would know that), and there is no such thing as global warming.

Youre not disputing me as much as you want to, youre disputing UNITED STATES OFFICIAL STAND on the issue, might wanna call them and give them a piece of you ,,mind'' if you have any..

hoosierdaddy 03-16-2007 04:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Youre not disputing me as much as you want to, youre disputing UNITED STATES OFFICIAL STAND on the issue, might wanna call them and give them a piece of you ,,mind'' if you have any..

More grammatical goulash.

Nope, I'm disupting you. You're the one I'm writing to. I could care less what the United States OFFICIAL STAND on it is. They've been wrong on other things before. You've said so yourself.

Dejanh 03-16-2007 04:33 PM

So you're much smarter than everyone else then, which you are don't get me wrong :roll: ....

I know that mountain air gets to you, are there prescriptions for what you have?