User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2009, 03:19 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Want to start a new life driving at age 62

I have had my hours cut at work. Always wanted to drive a truck. I am a woman at the age of 62 yrs. Do you think I am too old? I talked to a man truck driver at my present job and he said that I wouldn't be able to do the job. I am very interested in becoming a truck drive.
Any imput you can give me would be appreciated. Thank you
ginny
Old 11-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Board Regular

Why did the driver tell you you could not do the job?

Unless you have some health issues, can do a little heavy lifting now and then, have no issues putting in 18 hour days and can drive at night in all weather conditions, it should not be a problem.

There are also the starting wages, can you make it on less than $20,000 a year, maybe closer to $10,000 in this economy for at least the first year? And you will also need to come up with around $5000 for a truck driving school to get your CDL.

Last edited by Justruckin; 11-04-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justruckin View Post
Why did the driver tell you you could not do the job?

Unless you have some health issues, can do a little heavy lifting now and then, have no issues putting in 18 hour days and can drive at night in all weather conditions, it should not be a problem.

There are also the starting wages, can you make it on less than $20,000 a year, maybe closer to $10,000 in this economy for at least the first year? And you will also need to come up with around $5000 for a truck driving school to get your CDL.
You sound like the one trying to keep her out. There are plenty of companies that the labor is minimal. 18 hour a day? Not with my OTR companies. This local job, the fours are much longer but OTR, 12 to 13 hours a day was the norm but there were some short days as well.

Driving at night. maybe, many companies and drivers are strictly day time drivers but there are some night times I personalty had to drive but I would imagine there are driving jobs out there for daytime drivers.

driving in all weather conditions. This is unfortunately the truth although if conditions are EXTREAME I've always pulled over, by extreme I mean I passed a few trucks and 4 wheelers and cars in the ditch, traffic is moving at maybe 10 mph, etc.

Maybe I was just lucky but I started I grossed closer to 25k and the next year close to 35k but not sure how things are with this economy. I do know I have friends that are still getting close to 3k miles per week out there.

5k for a trucking school? there are plenty of company sponsored schools out there. Some are good, some I wouldn't recommend but you'll have to pm me for that school I wouldn't recommended .

I would not recommend you switch simply because of them cutting hours. Truck driving has some pretty irregular hours it's self. Some weeks I'm running hard, some weeks I sit for days at a time. Some weeks I see big paydays, some weeks I seen no paycheck. But I wouldn't totally agree with the above post from my exp.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:18 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisjb1 View Post
I have had my hours cut at work. Always wanted to drive a truck. I am a woman at the age of 62 yrs. Do you think I am too old? I talked to a man truck driver at my present job and he said that I wouldn't be able to do the job. I am very interested in becoming a truck drive.
ginny
If you're sick of what you're already doing, then do this.

Aside from the negative aspects of the job, there are many positive aspects that could outshine the rest depending on how you look at things.
Depending on who you get on with, you could be given a load with a 3-4 day timetable to deliver.
If you already know it will take you 2 days to get it there legally, you could use the spare time to check out some sites along the way.
Another cool thing about it is the fact that contrary to what everyone says about the DOT and dispatchers, as long as you do the job right, it'll feel as though no one's telling you to do much.
And finally if you're like me and have never had any connection with places you've lived, truck-driving is a good chance to waltz into any particular town and be that "cool drifter" person.

I'm not doing it right now due to some obvious reasons, but it's where I'm sure to be again as well as yourself if you know you really want to get into the profession and put 110% into it.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Board Regular

Trying to keep her out? Just stating the facts of what trucking is like, why sugar coat it? Unless it has suddenly changed in the past few weeks since I have hung it up.

Alright Gee...

Let's break this down for the newbies, who are all in seemingly desperate need of work and a good paying job to pay the bills... Don't most of these trucking companies state that you will make $30,000 a year to start?

OK, you go to Swift driving academy, they still charge you for school and lodging.

We go through the 18 day school to get the CDL. The school costs $3900 + $500 for lodging.

Then we take our test to get the CDL.

Then we get the CDL, and wait for a trainer to become available. And from reading here on this site that is taking upwards of four months to get drivers going with the trainer. Each case will vary, but it is safe to say that you will still need to eat and pay bills in that time frame, be it one week or four months.

We get to the trainer, you guys get along, you stay out for 6 weeks, maybe longer depending on how you do. You get a flat salary of $450 a week. Which $67 a week is subtracted out of your pay for the school, and don't forget taxes. $450 - .27 in taxes = $328 - $67 for school = $261.00. Now subtract at least $100 for living expenses out of that in the form of an advance... We have a net pay of "roughly" $161.00 for the week.

All right, $161 for the week, say you are out 8 weeks, that works out to.... $1288.00 or $644 a month net pay, or $21.46 a day NET.

Now, we go solo, we start at Swift @ .26 a mile. Your first week out, you get 1000 miles, which is not unusual in this economy. You have just earned your first paycheck, $260.00

$260 - .27 for taxes = $190 - $67 for school = $123 - $100 advance for food which leaves you with $23.00 for a weeks worth of work. Now remember, we use real weeks in trucking on a 24 hour clock, which is 7 full days.

Let's break this down further, you just netted $23.00 for a week of work. Divide that by 7 = $3.28 a day for your labor.

Now you start getting some miles, you are now up to 1500 miles a week average for your first 6 months, not unusual out here in this economy. Let's do the math... We will use a four month time frame subtracting the two months for the training time that you were on salary.

Training pay, net for 2 months = $1288

Four months solo @ 1500 a week net average with a base of .29 a mile = $151.00 a week x 17 weeks = $2567.00 I spared you the deductions.

You have now been on the road for 6 months, with an average of 1500 miles for every week you have been out. You have a NET pay after all expenses of $3855.00 for 6 months of work. Or $148 a week or $21 a day.

Now lets say you make it 6 months on this pay, which moves up on a scale at Swift. At 6 months you are now making .32 a mile and are now averaging say 1800 miles a week. 1800 x .32 = $576 - .27 for taxes = $420 - school @ $37.00 = $383 - $100 advance = $283.00 a week net income.

Now, lets say you take no time off and work the remaining 26 weeks of the year. You will net $7358.00 for 26 weeks or $40 a day.

So let's add up your annual NET income for your entire first year. $1288 + $2567 + $7358 = $11,213.00

That averages out to a NET of $216 a week, or $31.00 a day. You get all of this, plus a roof over your head in an 8'x8' box to live in rent free with all of the junk food you can afford to eat. Every time you hit a truck stop, it will cost you roughly $10 to eat fast food or $15 for a sit down meal, that is roughly $25 a day to eat. Unless you have a fridge in your truck and shop at WalMart and eat out of a can or lunch meat. And then lets not forget showers. Showers are around $10 a pop, and if you aren't running, you ain't buying fuel so no free showers. Say you take 3 a week out of your own pocket and skip a day or two. Let's do some more math... Let's say you can live on $20 a day for food, that works out to $140 a week and then throw in 3 showers at $30 because you don't like wandering around feeling and smelling like a pig. That is $170 a week right there and trust me, you are not getting much for that $20 a day in food.

Now run the numbers again, can you live on $100 a week out here? And what if you smoke? Add that to that $170 figure. And remember, you can only live on .99 hot dogs for a very short period of time before you get to the point you gag when see the rotisserie. And if you think you will fast food it, I was in Dallas TX a few months ago, it was $7.90 for a Whopper and near $10 for the meal deal. Salads were running $7 with out a drink.

I could do this all day long, I have done this stuff, and the numbers do not lie, math is math. And math is the main reason I sold all of my equipment and hung it up. I got lucky, as most of my friends have lost their homes and families. Trucking today is like Amway.

Hey, I just hate seeing people get into this racket without knowing what they are truly in for. This is not some fun and games occupation to just jump into where you make lots of money, especially if you have bills and responsibilities. It took me near ten years before I actually started to earn what I would consider a living wage. But I did not have anything when I got into this racket, I was young, recently divorced, lost everything and needed a roof and a few squares a day. Trucking fit the bill and allowed me to simply survive. I remember many times calling home and asking for money from my parents just so I could eat.

With 20 years under my belt and a squeaky clean record I can honestly tell all of you, I could not afford to be a company driver at these wages. Wages that have not gone up in over thirty years.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:12 AM
Senior Board Member

Did Hobo and Rev. change there names to geeshock and justruckin ????????? :rofl:
Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Senior Board Member

If you can live in an environment that is always changing but is pretty much the same go for it. Sounds contradictory but if you are flexible in how and when you can work but pretty much do the driving, dealing with customers, occassional real labor with no REAL health problems - go for it.

I wouldn't put much stock in one guy's opinion.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebirdrfd View Post
Did Hobo and Rev. change there names to geeshock and justruckin ????????? :rofl:
lol, I don't think so. I look beter than both of them, lol. I just am trying to point out, the job isn't the end to your problems but isn't the horror that some are makeing it out to be. I have a wife, and am the only provider in the fam and I made it fine. The opertunity is there if you work hard enough to make it work.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:36 AM
Senior Board Member

I have a friend, he was the car salesman who sold me my new car 2 yrs ago. We were friends before he sold me the car, should I hate him now...lol anyway he has always wanted to drive so he plopped down the money cash, went to school, and was picked up by H O Wolding. I have to tell you he has the gift of gab and has made this line of work, work for him!!! Trucking is what you make it!!!!! There is still plenty of money in this business!!!!! You have to know how to get along with people. "happiness does not mean everything is perfect, it means you have learned to look past the imperfections"!!!!!!!
My friend gets on the average of 3k miles a week, home most weekends, not all but most, and has shown me his pay stub with 49,678 as of last weeks pay sheet, and his 1st full year ends on Dec. 14th!!!
This job is not meant for everyone!!!! Some people are just destined to always make slave wages!!
I have been in this business for 31 yrs now, and have always made money...ALWAYS... even now!!!
This was not meant to get anyone's as@ hairs up in a bunch, but people who are dedicated, not just say they are, will most times fair WELL!!!!!
Old 11-08-2009, 01:26 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davisjb1 View Post
ginny
go for it.:thumbsup: