LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 03:09 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default California May Grant Illegal Aliens Driver's Licenses

California May Grant Illegal Aliens Driver's Licenses
September 15, 2008
FAIR - The California state legislature has passed a bill that would allow illegal aliens to obtain driver's licenses. Sponsored by Senator Gilbert Cedillo (D-Los Angeles), the California REAL ID Act of 2007 (S.B. 60) passed the state assembly on Friday, August 29th and is currently being considered by Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. (KMPH, August 31, 2008; S.B. 60)

According to Senator Cedillo's website, S.B. 60 attempts to conform California law with the Federal REAL ID act of 2005. REAL ID requires the states to "retool their system[s] of issuing driver's license[s] to ensure uniformity among all states and greater security regarding both the license itself and the identity of the person to whom it is issued." (Senator Gilbert Cedillo's Fact Sheet on S.B. 60) S.B. 60 attempts to satisfy this mandate by creating two separate categories of driver's licenses. The first category enables California to meet the minimum document design, security, and issuance requirements set forth in REAL ID so that the driver has a federally recognized license. These licenses would meet minimum requirements under REAL ID, including ensuring that the document: is manufactured in a secure facility; has security features designed to prevent counterfeiting; and contains certain basic information. To apply for licenses in this category, Californians would need to meet the minimum identity requirements laid out in REAL ID, including verification of legal presence. (Id.; S.B. 60)

The second driver's license category created by the bill, however, is more controversial. (KMPH, August 31, 2008) S.B. 60 creates a "'driving only license' that is not recognized by the federal government for identification purposes." (Senator Gilbert Cedillo's Fact Sheet on S.B. 60; S.B. 60) This license may not be used by any federal agency for federal identification or for any other official purpose. Licenses in this category would be available to individuals who cannot meet the minimum identity requirements that would allow them to obtain a license in the first category. (Id.) If the bill is signed into law, state legislators estimate that 2.2 million illegal aliens residing in California would apply for these special licenses. (KMPH, August 31, 2008)

Schwarzenegger has vetoed legislation similar to S.B. 60 in the past. On October 7, 2005, the Governor stopped another Cedillo-sponsored bill that was "similar" to S.B. 60. (Senator Gilbert Cedillo's History of the Driver's License Bill) Schwarzenegger also vetoed a comparable Cedillo bill on September 28, 2006. (Id.)

California stopped issuing driver's licenses to individuals who could not prove legal residency in 1993. A document on Cedillo's website maintains that "persons who can not show proof of legal residency currently drive on [California] roadways without being tested, licensed, or insured." (Senator Gilbert Cedillo's Fact Sheet on S.B. 60) Cedillo's legislation would give the approximately 2.2 million illegal aliens residing in California 18 months after the bill's passage to apply for the 'driving only license.' (S.B. 60) Speaking on S.B. 60, Senator Cedillo told KMPH, "This isn't about immigrants, it's about highway safety." (KMPH, August 31, 2008) However, the bill also contains a provision that prohibits police from arresting or detaining individuals for driving without a license. (S.B. 60, Sec.6(a))

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
However, the bill also contains a provision that prohibits police from arresting or detaining individuals for driving without a license. (S.B. 60, Sec.6(a))
Thats cool, if I foget my ID I can say I am illegal. And they'll let me go. :roll:
Old 09-19-2008, 03:51 PM
K-Mart Secret Shopper
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin
California May Grant Illegal Aliens Driver's Licenses

"This isn't about immigrants, it's about highway safety."
Oh WHATEVER! It sure is about immigrants. I can't even get started on this issue...it pisses me off to no end!

Humphry Davy
Old 09-19-2008, 04:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Leave it to the nut jobs in CA to misconstrue this:

S.B. 60 attempts to conform California law with the Federal REAL ID act of 2005. REAL ID requires the states to "retool their system[s] of issuing driver's license[s] to ensure uniformity among all states and greater security regarding both the license itself and the identity of the person to whom it is issued.

Why would we give a STATE license to an ILLEGAL? Isn't the premise behind Homeland Security to make sure they BELONG here? DOH! Since the Bill doesn't (AND CAN'T) apply to Mexican illegals only, doesn't that leave a rather LARGE loophole to bypass the intended purpose of the Real ID program? Isn't that side-stepping the Federal Program?

And how effing stupid is this?

"This isn't about immigrants, it's about highway safety." (KMPH, August 31, 2008) However, the bill also contains a provision that prohibits police from arresting or detaining individuals for driving without a license. (S.B. 60, Sec.6(a))

If it IS about highway safety, GET THEM OFF THE THE FREAKING HIGHWAY!

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Board Regular

If they were concerned about security they would close the borders and make those wishing to enter have some form of clearnace papers. Same as other countries have to do.

BUT>>>>>> cheap labor is far more important than national security issues, a drivers license would allow this cheap labor to drive unmolested and undetered from job to job.

Is there anyway to give CA back to the Mexicans and let them deal with the nut cases there? Sure make our lives easier.

PS: All the Hollywood starlets will be relocated to Texas!!
Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 AM

I don't know of any legitimate insurance company that would insure an undocumented illegal...so all these Mexifornians gonna be driving around without insurance? Is insurance going to become optional for everybody in California?

What a bunch of knobs... :roll:
Old 09-21-2008, 03:04 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWD
Is insurance going to become optional for everybody in California?
Not everyone... just the wetbacks who refuse to obey the law.

Welcome to America... where the rules only apply to those who were born here.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:59 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin
Leave it to the nut jobs in CA to misconstrue this:

S.B. 60 attempts to conform California law with the Federal REAL ID act of 2005. REAL ID requires the states to "retool their system[s] of issuing driver's license[s] to ensure uniformity among all states and greater security regarding both the license itself and the identity of the person to whom it is issued.

Why would we give a STATE license to an ILLEGAL? Isn't the premise behind Homeland Security to make sure they BELONG here? DOH! Since the Bill doesn't (AND CAN'T) apply to Mexican illegals only, doesn't that leave a rather LARGE loophole to bypass the intended purpose of the Real ID program? Isn't that side-stepping the Federal Program?

And how effing stupid is this?

"This isn't about immigrants, it's about highway safety." (KMPH, August 31, 2008) However, the bill also contains a provision that prohibits police from arresting or detaining individuals for driving without a license. (S.B. 60, Sec.6(a))

If it IS about highway safety, GET THEM OFF THE THE FREAKING HIGHWAY!
That suggests that they're planning on ending ALL REGULATIONS about driving. Any individual? Someone that lost his license because of a couple of DUIs can get behind the wheel without any fear because they can not arrest them or detain them? They pass that, and the smartest thing everyone in CA can do is just let their licenses lapse.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Hell why not have no laws? :roll: This is the stupidest crock of sh*t I ever heard in my life. Thank God I don't live in CaliMexico.