User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2008, 04:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is the New York Times really endorsing Palin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Editorial Page
Where is it written that only senators are qualified to become President?... Or where is it written that mere representatives aren’t qualified, ... Where is it written that governors and mayors, ..., are too local, too provincial?... Presidential candidates have always chosen their running mates for reasons of practical demography, not idealized democracy…. What a splendid system, we say to ourselves, that takes little-known men, tests them in high office and permits them to grow into statesmen.... Why shouldn’t a little-known woman have the same opportunity to grow?... [T]he indispensable credential for a Woman Who [sic] is the same as for a Man Who [sic] – one who helps the ticket.
Oh yeah, that's right, I redacted the following phrases:
Quote:
... like Geraldine Ferraro of Queens... ...like Diane Feinstein of San Francisco...
Click here to see the full article. It requires a paid subscription to the Gray Lady, which I don't intend to buy, but the quotes are legit. The editorial appeared on July 3, 1984. I guess you could say that it doesn't agree with their current stance, but hell, consistency is overrated.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 09-05-2008, 04:34 AM
Board Icon

Women are only qualified if the have a (D) in front of their name. Otherwise, they are men.

But in all fairness, I actually agree with the Obama statement from earlier today that Palin isn't running for POTUS, and isn't Obama's challenger. McCain is.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:37 AM
Senior Board Member

IMHO if some one wanted to play the "experience" card as it relates to the White House someone who has been a governor is a lot more qualified than a senator or representative since they are the ones, at state level anyway, where the buck stops so to speak.

In most elections the VP candidate does not really figure into things all that much, but given McCain's age and health it is going to be a bit different this time around. If Obama really believes that Palin is not a threat to his campaign he is a fool.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
n most elections the VP candidate does not really figure into things all that much, but given McCain's age and health it is going to be a bit different this time around. If Obama really believes that Palin is not a threat to his campaign he is a fool.
Uturn you are right. VP usually doesnt figure much into the elections. But...this one, IMO, is different, I believe the Dems and Obama do see her as a very real threat, and they is trying to downplay her role in this race. If she can "hold her own" for the next 2months, I really believe she will be the reason McCain will pull this off.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

The Dems have sent Hillary Clinton, of all people, down to FL to try to reduce Palin's effects down here. I don't know who was sent to MI, but they have "EMERGENCY SQUADS" going to a few states to try to counter the effect of Palin. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They're taking it very seriously... We need BIGGER SMILEYS that are rolling on the floor, laughing.

The Reps, aren't having the slightest problem with Biden. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old 09-06-2008, 03:34 AM
Board Regular

The city where I live has a larger budget and staff than the Governor of the state of Alaska. Does that mean our mayor is qualified to be President also? God help us all.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:47 AM
Senior Board Member