User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 06:23 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default USS New York (LPD 21)

WindWalker shared this with me, and we wanted to share this with you!

http://www.ussny.org/
Click on this site, and view a good look at a diagram of her from clicking on "The Ship" link, then "Take A Good Look." The "Media Gallery" has some good photos.
She is the newest entry to the U.S. Navy's fleet of San Antonio-class LPD (Landing Platform Dock) warships.

She was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center .

She is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite , LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept 9, 2003, "those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence," recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. "It was a spiritual moment for everybody there."

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the "hair on my neck stood up. It had a big meaning to it for all of us," he said. "They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back."

The ship's motto? 'Never Forget'

Old 08-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Thank you for sharing this. She's a beauty!

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member
Default Re: USS New York (LPD 21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadhog

WindWalker shared this with me, and we wanted to share this with you!

http://www.ussny.org/
Click on this site, and view a good look at a diagram of her from clicking on "The Ship" link, then "Take A Good Look." The "Media Gallery" has some good photos.
She is the newest entry to the U.S. Navy's fleet of San Antonio-class LPD (Landing Platform Dock) warships.

She was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center .

She is the fifth in a new class of warship - designed for missions that include special operations against terrorists. It will carry a crew of 360 sailors and 700 combat-ready Marines to be delivered ashore by helicopters and assault craft.

Steel from the World Trade Center was melted down in a foundry in Amite , LA to cast the ship's bow section. When it was poured into the molds on Sept 9, 2003, "those big rough steelworkers treated it with total reverence," recalled Navy Capt. Kevin Wensing, who was there. "It was a spiritual moment for everybody there."

Junior Chavers, foundry operations manager, said that when the trade center steel first arrived, he touched it with his hand and the "hair on my neck stood up. It had a big meaning to it for all of us," he said. "They knocked us down. They can't keep us down. We're going to be back."

The ship's motto? 'Never Forget'
Right story, wrong photo.
SNOPES

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 08-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Board Icon

Thanks, I just noticed the number on the bow.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:59 PM
Board Icon

I know what it is like to be a "PLANK-OWNER" aboard a navy ship. I am a Plank-Owner on the USS FARRAGUT (then designated as DLG-6) which has since been re-classified to a CLG (light guided-missile cruiser).
When the order is given to
“Man our ship and bring her to life!”
it tends to bring out dedication you didn't know you had. I can't even imagine what those words will mean to the men and women that will be given that honor for this ship.

To be assigned duty aboard a ship and be present for the commissioning is what makes you a plank-owner. Today, 40 years later, I still feel that I belong aboard the Farragut. But, I envy the people that will have that honor for the USS NEW YORK.

We don't have a "smiley" with an American Flag, do we???

Old 08-09-2008, 08:05 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
I could be wrong, but if you saw the two ships side-by-side, and the numbers covered, you would have a very hard time trying to tell which one was which. They're made from prints that are basically the same. Maybe a few modifications that you would have to be inside to see. It still gives you the idea of what she looks like. For that matter, it is the STORY, not the picture that counts. For that matter, blame me for the wrong pic. I forwarded an email I got about it to him. I didn't notice the number either.

Press release from April 4, 2006
Quote:
NEW YORK - With a year to go before it even touches the water, the Navy's amphibious assault ship USS New York has already made history - twice. It was built with 24 tons of scrap steel from the World Trade Center, and it survived Hurricane Katrina.

That combination of disasters gives the ship a unique standing among the 500 or so Avondale, La., shipyard workers building it, said Tony Quaglino, a crane superintendent who postponed retirement to have a hand in the New York's construction. "I think Katrina made us more aware of the tragedy in New York," said the 66-year-old Quaglino. "One was manmade, one was natural, but they're both a common bond."

The New York is about 45 percent complete and should be ready for launch in mid 2007. Katrina disrupted construction when it pounded the Gulf Coast, but the 684-foot vessel escaped serious damage and workers were back at the yard near New Orleans two weeks after the storm.

The ship led many of the yard's thousands of workers to return to the job even though hundreds lost their homes, Quaglino and others said.

Northrop Grumman employed 6,500 at Avondale before Katrina. Today, roughly 5,500 are back, working on the New York and three other vessels. More than 200 employees who lost their homes to Katrina are living at the shipyard, some on a Navy barge and others in bunk-style housing.

"Their dedication and devotion to duty has been, to say the least, epic," Philip Teel, a vice president for Northrop Grumman Corp. and head of its ship systems division, told a Navy League dinner audience in New York on March 22.

"It sounds trite, but I saw it in their eyes," Teel said in a separate interview. "These are very patriotic people, and the fact that the ship has steel from the trade center is a source of great pride. They view it as something incredibly special. They're building it for the nation."
Two more ships are scheduled for the future.

Arlington - Where the Pentagon is located

Somerset - the place where the fourth plane went down in PA

Old 08-09-2008, 10:37 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Somerset - the place where the fourth plane went down in PA
Thanks, That reminds me:
Works begins on the USS SOMERSET

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 08-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Food Service Monkey
Senior Board Member

Quote:
For that matter, it is the STORY, not the picture that counts.
Correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winderwalker
For that matter, blame me for the wrong pic.
Why? You only forwarded an E-mail that has been going around since late 2006. The original e-mail has the wrong picture but the right story. Not your fault. Read the SNOPES link that I posted.

MY FACEBOOK PAGE
Old 08-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
I could be wrong, but if you saw the two ships side-by-side, and the numbers covered, you would have a very hard time trying to tell which one was which.
Everyone loves twins!

I found this link on the USS Farragut with some nice photos.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/05/0206.htm

The USS New York is a ship with the blood of it's citizens in it's bow. May God Bless this vessel, and all Americans who share in the pride, patriotism and honor.

Old 08-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I know what it is like to be a "PLANK-OWNER" aboard a navy ship. I am a Plank-Owner on the USS FARRAGUT (then designated as DLG-6) which has since been re-classified to a CLG (light guided-missile cruiser).
When the order is given to
“Man our ship and bring her to life!”
it tends to bring out dedication you didn't know you had. I can't even imagine what those words will mean to the men and women that will be given that honor for this ship.

To be assigned duty aboard a ship and be present for the commissioning is what makes you a plank-owner. Today, 40 years later, I still feel that I belong aboard the Farragut. But, I envy the people that will have that honor for the USS NEW YORK.

We don't have a "smiley" with an American Flag, do we???

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln