Airgas, an Air Liquide company, is the leading U.S. supplier of industrial, medical and specialty gases, as well as hardgoods and related products; one of the largest U.S. suppliers of safety products; and a leading U.S. supplier of ammonia products and process chemicals. Dedicated to improving the performance of our more than 1 million customers, Airgas safely and reliably provides products, services and expertise through more than 18,500 associates, over 1,100 locations.
Airgas is hiring a CDL A Local Delivery Driver in Hyattsville, MD. If you are ready to be part of a passionate and hard-working team eager to drive the business and your career forward, join our team today!
- Competitive hourly wages with 40 hours average per week
- Overtime pay after 40 hours
- Paid via direct deposit bi-weekly
Home Time, Route, & Schedule
- Home every night!
- This is a local delivery job making deliveries to external customer sites and returning to a branch location
- Schedule: Monday through Friday schedule. No weekend or holiday work
- Shifts typically start between 5 am – 7 am and end between approximately 2 pm – 5 pm
- Level of Touch: Load and unload
- Late model fleet with flatbed, tanker, straight and box trucks
- Must be able to operate both manual and automatic transmission
- Safely loads, delivers and unloads cylinders containing compressed gases to external and internal customer sites.
- Records deliveries and pick-ups on a load manifest and obtains signatures from customers for receipt purposes. Collects empty cylinders or rejected or unsold merchandise. Returns empty cylinders to either a plant or branch location for refilling.
- Establishes and maintains good customer relations. Listens to and helps resolve service inquiries and complaints.
- Provides timely communication back to manager or to the customer’s assigned Airgas sales associate regarding any changes or issues experienced by the customer.
- Performs cylinder inspections per operating procedures.
- Maintains load manifests and all required vehicle documents ensuring they are properly completed and balanced with truck counts and shipping documents before and after deliveries. Ensures that vehicle manifests, labeling and load are in compliance with all regulatory guidelines.
- Operates a pallet jack, forklift & other warehouse equipment.
- Works in warehouse or in branch as needed and performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 21 years of age
- Valid CDL A Commercial Driver’s License and valid USDOT medical card
- Hazmat endorsement (H or X endorsement) or the ability to acquire them as a condition of employment
- Ability to operate a vehicle with an airbrake system (no air brake restrictions on CDL)
- Must have one (1) year of prior Class A professional driving experience within the last five (5) years
- Must have a clean driving record to include no more than two (2) convictions; OR two (2) at- fault accident in the last 3 years; OR no more than a combination of one (1) conviction and one (1) at-fault accident in the last 3 years.
- In lieu of experience, may consider accepting a diploma from an accredited driving school and a minimum of one (1) year of prior driving experience within the last five (5) years.
- Prior experience in the gas, welding and safety supply industry preferred.
- Regularly required to transport and move 60 pounds with or without the use of a hand truck for distances up to 25 feet. For transporting any weight 25 feet or beyond, requires the use of a hand truck (or the aid of some alternate material handling equipment). Employee may occasionally be required to transport and move up to 800 pounds with the use of material handling equipment.
- Excellent customer service skills, high integrity, and a positive attitude.
- Ability to clearly and effectively speak to customers and employees as well as legibly write.
- Must have a high attention to detail.
- Ability to work independently and under some pressure to meet deadlines.
- Basic PC knowledge to include familiarity with onboard computers/telematics preferred.
- Ability to read and comprehend material safety data sheets.
- Ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division in various units of measure to include whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals and compute rates, ratios, and percentages.
- No DUI/DWIs within the past 7 years.
- Must meet Department of Transportation (DOT) testing and physical requirements and be knowledgeable of DOT regulations.
- Must be able to pass a required pre-employment drug screen and background check (criminal and work verification).
- Hiring Radius: Drivers must live within 35 miles of Hyattsville, MD or be willing to relocate for this position.
- Retirement Plan