Now hiring CDL-A Drivers with 4+ months of tractor trailer experience & recent trucking school graduates!
If less than 6 months of solo driving experience, we have a training program tailored just for you. (see below)
As a Yard Switcher, you'll play a critical role in our customer's transportation needs by ensuring the timely movement of trailers in and out of the docks on-site at the customer's location.
This rewarding career opportunity offers:
- Average 36-48 hours per week.
- Working 3-4 days per week
- Alternating schedule of 6am-6pm or 6pm- 6am
- Sunday - Tuesday, Thursday - Saturday, working every other Wednesday
- Hazmat is preferred but not required, an additional .50 will be offered to those who have the endorsement.
Some of the responsibilities of an Averitt Yard Switcher includes:
- Performing pre- and post-shift equipment safety inspections
- Hooking/unhooking trailers
- Frequent bending for placement of wheel chocks
- Lifting/opening trailer doors
- Sliding trailer tandems when necessary
- Safely entering/exiting yard tractor numerous times per shift
- Safely maneuvering equipment with good backing skills
Experienced CDL-A Drivers (with 6 months of solo driving experience):
- Starting pay of $16.85/hour with top out pay of $17.35/hour after 90 days.
Paid Training Programs:
Driving School Grads:
Must have graduated from one of our approved truck driving schools in the previous 180 days.
Students will also earn a $4,800 tuition assistance bonus! Payable after completing orientation at a rate of $150 per month for the first 12 months and $250 for months 13 - 24.
If you have less than 6 months solo driving experience OR have been outside of the truck for a while, we have a paid training program tailored for each level of experience. Your recruiter will be able to tell you the best training program for you.
Regardless of the amount of training needed you will be paid eight hundred dollars per week while training; training time can range from 1-5 weeks. After training you will start at $16.85/ hour.
Check out these benefits of being a full-time Averitt CDL-A Driver:
- Family & individual Cigna medical coverage with 2 choices (PPO or high deductible health plan), dental, vision, prescription and hearing benefits package ALL starting as low as:
$75.70 per week for family
$30.55 per week for single coverage
With the option of even lower medical premiums if you participate in the upcoming year's wellness initiatives.
- 8 paid holidays (after 90 days).
- Paid Time Off (PTO/ vacation) up to 8 weeks.
- Profit sharing and 401(k) plans.
- Wellness programs available
- Company-paid life insurance and short-term disability benefits.
- Company provided professional uniforms
- Wells Fargo banking products.
- Flexible spending accounts.
- Wellness programs available.
- Other career advancement opportunities within Averitt.
- Paid orientation in Cookeville, TN with free lodging, transportation and meals.
- Red Thinkin' Rewards- points program that encourages you to meet specific fuel & service goals and in return earn points towards a selection of over 12,000 gift items.
- Referral rewards- cash bonuses for referrals
- Weekly direct payroll deposits.
- Associate discounts (on vehicles, computers, cell phone service, etc.).
- A professional atmosphere with quality people since 1971!
Averitt's fleet includes local, dedicated, and regional positions. Drivers have the opportunity to change their driving preferences as their careers progress, including opportunities in operations and leadership.
Averitt Express is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Retirement Plan
- Profit Sharing
- Stock Options