Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers

Trucker Forum - Trucking & Driving Forums - Class A Drivers (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/)
-   Women in Trucking (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/women-trucking-17/)
-   -   Hello All! (https://www.classadrivers.com/forum/women-trucking/29131-hello-all.html)

20Girl 08-21-2007 10:00 PM

Hello All!

Hello!

Just signed up on this site...and wanted to say Hi! I'm an outta work architectural drafter and recent divorce victim who needs a life change! I'm going to talk to Roadmaster tomorrow and see what my options are...but I have been lurking on this site for some time now and have learned alot about what to ask a recruiter, how life is on the road, and what little things a lady needs to have in her truck! Much thanks for the info...this is a really good site!

I definitely want to bring my "furr-kid" on the road with me...and wanted to inquire as to known companies that allow pets. Also, I'm hoping to bring her with me while in training at whatever company I choose...but that does seem to be impossible. Is it?[/color]

4roses 08-21-2007 11:27 PM

welcome to the site ..... :D ... be sure and ask ALL the companys about you bringing your pet with you while in training. Honestly ... I've never heard of that being approved, because your stepping into another person's home on wheels and generally they don't have pets either. To much time in used just to learn the profession. Either way ... good luck. If you do find a company that will approve your pet while in training ... let us know so we can share this with others down the road. :wink:
Again .. Welcome :)

ladykatrina 08-23-2007 01:52 AM

hi 20girl and good luck with your training with a pet, I think you will have some trouble finding a place that will let you bring a pet which I assume is a dog, along on the training. I too found this site to be very helpful in providing first hand knowledge about what to expect from a career in trucking. I will not be pursuing this as a career this year but I am not writing it off either. its just not the right thing for me at this moment. I have my mom to house and care for right now and need to be home everyday. again, good luck with your new potential career.

kate :D

WildK9 08-23-2007 01:56 AM

Welcome to the site. Nice avatar! :wink:

BOL

20Girl 08-23-2007 03:15 PM

Thanks for the welcome!! I have decided to hold off a little longer on committing to trucking. The amount required for school...and (like ladykatrina) I too have elderly parents that really need me around. But I haven't written it off...just trying to scrape by a little longer...and get a little more savings in the bank...and help my folks decide what they want to do.

I will also need to find someone to care for my pooch for several weeks while in training...as I'm sure I won't be able to bring her with me.

But I intend to keep up on this site and utilize all the helpful info here! I will be chatting with ya!!

ladykatrina 08-24-2007 01:26 AM

I know what you mean 20girl having responsibilities that keep you tied down when you just want to run away..I guess thats what appeals to me about driving a truck, being able to get away...I've spent the last 2 months wrestling with this decision and have a second interview with a local manufacturing plant next wednesday. when I left my last factory job I swore I'd never work another but here I go again. maybe someday you and I will meet on the road somewhere! :)

Sizzle 08-25-2007 04:39 PM

Good luck ladies!

Hey Gals,

Good luck with your decisions to accept other positions. I'm sure it's difficult to leave your parents that are in need at this time of their lives. I chose trucking and haven't regretted it. My parents both turned 70 lately, but are in good health and are wealthy so can afford any care they'll need.

I'm not talking to my parents at present because they vehemently disagree with me trucking. It's too bad that they don't see that their only daughter and oldest child is happy for the first time in decades. All they see is that I gave up a huge custom built home with a wealthy husband and went trucking. They didn't live the horrible marriage I lived. I always respect people who actually get along with their parents and are looking out for them. So good luck gals.

I wish my parents would realize that it isn't shameful that their daughter chose to be a trucker over being an accountant with a wealthy husband. MONEY TRULY DOESN'T BUY HAPPINESS. I know everyone who hasn't had it thinks it does. All is does is make it easier to pay bills. You don't have to rob from Peter to pay Paul. That's all it did for me.

I had a loveless marriage that was over years before it ended. He was a workaholic and didn't appreciate me until I was gone. He remarried within two years. I couldn't believe it. No, he wasn't "fooling around" as everyone has asked me. He met Wife #2 from mutual friends in Europe. Obviously, couldn't be screwing around when we lived in Misery [Oops, did I say that outloud?-Missouri]. I asked him why he got remarried so soon and he said, "because it was the worst two years of his life."'

I realized right then and there that it was the best two years of my life so I knew the divorce was great for me. He didn't even know how to get to FedEx in a 14,000 population town after 13 years because his wife always went to FedEx for him. He had never done a load of laundry by age 47. How's that for spoiling an ungrateful husband? Boy, have I learned.

If I ever get married again it will be to someone who is my equal. I don't want another man I have to mother. No Thanks.

Oops got off on a tangent. Good luck gals. It's the best decision I ever made for myself. I love it. Hate my company and will be changing within the next month. But love trucking. :roll: 8) :)

ladykatrina 08-26-2007 04:26 PM

got off on a tangent?..perhaps, but it was still interesting and it just makes me pause to think for a moment about perceptions and how great things look when you see a woman wearing 3000 bucks worth of clothes driving her audi TT and living in a big house where the only 'work' she does all day is boss her maid around. I write from experience as I have worked for these women and they are all teribbly unhappy and bitter...I envy them their money and not having to worry about where their next meal is coming from and I stop envying them the moment their husband gives me a look or hits on me...I cleaned houses for years, I could tell stories all day long about how shallow and insipid these people are and how self-absorbed they are and how clueless they are about real life. sizzle, you say you come from money but inside you all those years was a 'real' person trying to get out..I for one applaud you and respect you for doing what you did. not many of us could have walked away from the lifestyle you gave up! :? ..I have spent a lot of time looking for a man like your former husband...who would let me live the good life...after reading your post here I wonder about my ideas of what the good life really is...the grass is always greener....pick your cliche...theres nothing worse than being in a relationship with someone who takes you for granted or is never there...

Sizzle 08-26-2007 08:02 PM

Life can be grand again!

Well Lady Katrina,

Thank you for your compliment. I'm telling you Lady, I was so lonely. I used to make myself busy all day. Got into yard work and had one of the nicest yards in the neighborhood. Most people in the neighborhood had yard professionals doing their yards. They'd stop and ask me how my yard looked so nice. I'd say Scott's. It is definitely the "secret" to a beautiful green yard. We planted flowering bushes and trees so the yard had blooms most of the summer.

I'd hate to see the yard now. 6 months after my departure, I went back to move my stuff and the yard looked like hell. He bought a sit down lawn mower which has a tendency to yank the grass out by it roots and the yard had spotted "brown spots" on it. I hope there's even a yard left at this point 6 years later. Funny how he bought a sit down mower when he mowed and I could mow 4-5 hours standing up. Although, it's better for the grass, I probably wouldn't have used the sit down anyway. The bushes needed trimming and my "English Garden" was almost dead. Probably enitrely dead now!!!

Yeah, I thought I wanted the same thing-comfortable lifestyle. However, even though that would be nice I want a man who loves me and wants to spend time with me. Not some damn workaholic who only knows his job and doesn't understand the female who does everything for him to enable to be at work all the time. SIGH!!!

It's much more rewarding to take care of yourself. Trust me Ladies-it is. You're not beholding to anyone. Perhaps someday I'll find that Knight In Shining Armor. In the meantime, I'm having a hell of a ride. Nice to know that men find me attractive when I was emotionally abused for several years. Realized after the fact, it was his way of "keeping me down" so I wouldn't stray on him. Didn't think men would ever look at me again. Still amazed when someone half my age hits on me. I look 15-20 years younger than I am. Hate lying about my age. I need to say 29 and holding.

Remember it's what's inside that counts more than outside. Although, our society is shallow and puts more value on the outside appearance. When you treat others well you will get it back.

cmegobye 08-27-2007 02:55 AM

I can really relate to this post topic. I was in an emotionally abusive marriage for 17 years. I was committed to the relationship but he kept forgetting he was married. I look back on those years and just wish I'd wised up much sooner. I came home one day and told him "I'm going to make you happier beyond your dreams today" as I handed him the divorce papers. "These will allow you to be single at last". He couldn't believe it. BEST MOVE I EVER MADE. I've been trucking for 13 years and they hve been very rewarding. I can not even think of being finacially beholden to a man again in my life.