User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2017, 12:37 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Smile & Wave, Girls!

HI from Louisiana!
I am a lady in my 50's. After 30 years of clerical/ customer service & answering phones, I found myself working at a trucking terminal. After 4 years part-time in the office, the TM suggested I go to school and drive - absolutely the last thing I'd thought about as a career - but I ain't gettin any younger & I was bored; so, since October 2016 I've worked hard and mastered the basics, got my CDL with all endorsements. Yes sir, I can put a 53' trailer in a 85' foot space around a curve. WOW!

This process has challenged my patience and expanded my self-confidence. It has been tough, but worth it! DO NOT give up! It is hard work and you'll get dirty - there will be cussing, tears & praying (lots of praying after the cussin and you'll question yourself at least 3 times a day and want to quit at least twice. But once you get that license in your hand you know you've done the greatest thing in the world except bring a child into the world; or fly a plane or drive a tank. You know what I mean, it's a big accomplishment. At 5'2" and 110 lbs believe me, I know.

So... you should have 3 things in your pocket: gloves, flashlight, knife. The guys will make comments & tease you, but will answer your questions and give advice once they see you're trying hard. Treat those older than you w/ respect and the younger ones like your brothers. Also, it's ok that you're a girl. Brush your hair, freshen your lipstick, smile & wave, girls; smile & wave (like the penguins in the movie Madasgascar). Ladies, we got this!
Old 01-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Senior Board Member

"smile and wave girls" I thought for sure this thread was started by one of those guys with SHOW ME YOUR____written on the trailer doors.
Welcome aboard malynnium and congratulations on your new skills and career.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington