User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2022, 06:54 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Returning to trucking

Hello. My name is Nat from Alaska. Relocated to Ohio for work. Had my CDL-A driving license for a major company in the past but didn't renew it because I was a school bus driver in Alaska. What a MISTAKE not to renew that. Now I'd like to return to trucking again. The major hiccup is: my Alaska Driver's License. Most carriers will NOT accept my license. Go figure! I've had nothing but obstacles trying to find a company to drive (basically starting all over again) for because of the Alaska License. I suppose the easiest remedy is getting my CDL-A in Ohio but I'm holding on to the Alaska Driver's license as my knuckles turn white. So, here's the skinny: I've got the experience (once a trucker-always a trucker), have the DOT card and physical. I just need to help to drive for a spell; take the road test and have been doing the practice written test to be ready. I want to get back on the road because I gotta say I loved trucking and miss it; I'm getting antsy. So, does anyone have any ideas how I can stream line this process without giving up my Alaska License?
Old 01-15-2022, 12:20 AM
Rookie
Default That is shocking info given the AK skill level - are you sure?

Hi, that's downright shocking info to me.
I live in the lower 48 but have spent time in Alaska. Everything takes greater skill up there. ESPECIALLY driving a semi-truck.
Can you tell us which state you are now applying in? I think this is going to play a role. Also, if you name carriers that might help. You never know who on this forum is a dispatcher, fleet manager, trainer & so on with them.

Never heard this before about any license from anywhere in the US, that it would not be valid in another state. Not disputing what you are saying mind you.

Have you tried applying with a carrier headquartered in AK which runs the lower 48? That might solve the whole problem. LTI is one of them. Runs AK, Canada and all over the lower 48. I'm sure there are others as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hello. My name is Nat from Alaska. Relocated to Ohio for work. Had my CDL-A driving license for a major company in the past but didn't renew it because I was a school bus driver in Alaska. What a MISTAKE not to renew that. Now I'd like to return to trucking again. The major hiccup is: my Alaska Driver's License. Most carriers will NOT accept my license. Go figure! I've had nothing but obstacles trying to find a company to drive (basically starting all over again) for because of the Alaska License. I suppose the easiest remedy is getting my CDL-A in Ohio but I'm holding on to the Alaska Driver's license as my knuckles turn white. So, here's the skinny: I've got the experience (once a trucker-always a trucker), have the DOT card and physical. I just need to help to drive for a spell; take the road test and have been doing the practice written test to be ready. I want to get back on the road because I gotta say I loved trucking and miss it; I'm getting antsy. So, does anyone have any ideas how I can stream line this process without giving up my Alaska License?