User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 12:46 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default question for LADY NORTH STAR

One of the other drivers in another forum suggested that I ask you this question.I am military and will be driving from Colorado to Fairbanks and wondered about the canadian portion of the drive. I understand some of the roads are unpaved and wondered how much of that there is and what route you would recommend thru Canada. Thank you
Old 04-20-2009, 02:08 AM

I just delivered in Edmonton, AB last tuesday and have driven the Alcan several times I'd go straight up I 15 and cross at Sweetgrass, Mt...take Hwy 4 to Lethbridge, Hwy 3 to Fort Macleod, Hwy 2 up through Calgary and Edmonton, 16 w out of Edmonton to Hwy 43 to Valley View then Hwy 34/2 to Dawson Creek and that's where the Alcan starts...once you get to Alaska Hwy 2 will take you right to Fairbanks. If ya got younguns...just before you get to Fairbanks is the town of North Pole by Eilsen AFB...take em to visit the Santa Claus House, you'll see it from the Hwy. Enjoy the trip...great scenery...and the Canadians are fantastic...stop and enjoy their hospitality.

The first time I went up in 1978 we really lolligagged and spent 45 days getting there, had a great time. You can make great time though...the last time I moved my daughter back to Ohio we left Anchorage on a monday and were in Columbus, Ohio on Friday morning...driveway to driveway was I believe 4300 miles. ENJOY the ride and people you meet along the way. If you fish....stop in each Province and get a 3 day fishing license.

PS...in June...bring some good bug dope!!! Mosquitos can get numerous and hungry.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:13 AM

Oh, on the paved/unpaved....it's not like it's a rutted dirt road...in fact you'll find most is paved...and the unpaved smoother to ride on for the most part. Northwest territory and the Yukon territory was where most of the unpaved was my last time up...but, it was nice running, as I said...no frost heaves or cracked pavement....Canadians do a great job in maintaining the road.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Rookie
Default thank you BOB

thanks for all the great info very much appreciated.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birrig20 View Post
One of the other drivers in another forum suggested that I ask you this question.I am military and will be driving from Colorado to Fairbanks and wondered about the canadian portion of the drive. I understand some of the roads are unpaved and wondered how much of that there is and what route you would recommend thru Canada. Thank you
I run the complete route from Edmonton to Whitehorse as a regular route.

As Bob stated the best way is to come up through Montana & then up to Edmonton, where you would get on the Anthony Henday Drive straight to Highway 16.

You then take that West to highway 43. Depending on what you are hauling I wouldn't recommend driving through the city of Grande Prairie...drivers there are NUTS!

Best way to go if you are just hauling a 5 axle is to take the (damn can't recall the highway #) LOL you come to the top of the Big Smoky & there's the town of Bezanson, the road you want is to Teepee Creek, follow the signs... there's a 10 mile jog to the north then west again through Tepee Creek & you will be on Highway 59, that takes you to just east of the Alberta/BC border where you then go back onto Highway 43. You go through Pouce Coupe & Dawson Creek & you are on the Alaska Highway in BC. Just remember if you are hauling HazMat you MUST take the by-pass around Dawson. It's actually a better way to go anyway, you miss all the lights (take a left at the second light & follow the signs).

Once you get back on Hwy 97 (Alaska Highway), that's the ONLY road there is.

You'll need to make ABSOLUTELY sure you fuel completely before you leave Edmonton, as there's not alot along the way.

REMEMBER...there are NO, ZERO, NADA truck Stops. If you have big fuel tanks (150 gallon each) you can make Watson Lake before you fuel. Fuel in BC is INCREDIBLY expensive...wacko liberal gov't & their taxes!

Another thing...MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN YOU STOP AT EACH AND EVERY POSTED BRAKE CHECK IN BC! There are MASSIVE fines if you get caught blowing one. And believe me if it's not noted in your log book...ANOTHER fine. BC means BRING CASH! Remember you are in the MOUNTAINS...most of the grades are from 6-10% and BC is FAMOUS for a 30-50 mph corner at the bottom of a long grade!

Also remember our signs are in KPH..so 100 kph is roughly 62 mph. And when you see a curve that is posted at 30 kph DO THE SPEED LIMIT!

There are a few good spots to stop to eat, Buckinghorse River is one. It's 1/2 way between Fort St. John & Fort Nelson. Another one is Rancheria, YT, it's at km 1100 between Watson Lake & Whitehorse. You can also get showers, etc at both places for 4$. There are 2 Flying J's in Edmonton, but neither is worth squat.

Most of our fuel stations for trucks are cardlock, so you will likely only be able to fuel in daytime if you don't have a cardlock card.

Once you get past Fort Nelson, about 6 hours from Dawson Creek & would recommend you stay there for the night. Night driving for the next six hours is not for those who have never been on that part before. Once you get past Steamboat you will be on the old part of the highway, the road is VERY narrow & winding, there are no shoulders & if you screw up the ditches are mighty deep or you'll end up whacking the mirrors of the guy approaching you! There are a couple of curves at Muncho Lake where two truck CANNOT pass each other, just take your time & don't pay any attention to the guys who "fly" along there...they know the road.

It will take you roughly 6 or so hours to get to Watson Lake, YT from there. GET FUEL!

When you get to Watson there is a POE scale, it's open 24/7, where you can get your permits...the people who run the scales in Alberta, YT & NWT are NOT like your DOT...they are UBER nice! BC is staffed by Nazi's...so watch your butt!

Also, DON'T forget our HOS are different from yours...you can drive 13 hours here, where you can take 2 of your 10 in 30 minute increments, but the 8 should..you can split, but it's complicated...be consecutive. The biggest thing they get US drivers on is the reset...ours is 36 hours...not 34. Also it's better to use that 2 hours off for breaks along the way...our DOT do NOT like to see you driving 13 hours straight. We have some "rules" about a 15 minute break after 4 hours of driving and a 1/2 hour after 6. They aren't stupid, they KNOW it's dangerous to drive non-stop. You have 16 hours to complete your shift instead of 14. And once you cross the Yukon border you have 15 hours you can drive instead of 13, but I wouldn't recommend that..YOUR DOT would FREAK if they saw THAT on your logbook!

Then from there you are 5-6 hours..depending on what spring storm has hit from Whitehorse.

There's another scale at Whitehorse that's 24/7..signs are well marked for Alaska.

From Edmonton it will take you two days to get to Whitehorse.

Have a safe trip!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"

Last edited by wildkat; 04-21-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Board Regular

Hi Kat,

Just sent you a PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by birrig20 View Post

Hi birrig, sorry for the late reply, I don't check here too often anymore.

I see your question has mostly been answered, with a bit extra information, since I noticed you are just travelling for military purposes and not in a big rig. lol

I run only the Alcan primarily so beyond that the other have given good advice.

There is fuel along the way, Tetsa services is open late... they are about 1.25 hours from Fort Nelson, Muncho Lake has fuel, Hot Springs has fuel, Contact Creek has Fuel, then Watson Lake, Rancheria, Swift River, Teslin. Fuel is not a worry this time of year.

Summit Lake (the Rock Cut) and Muncho are beautiful parts of the highway, there are no corners where 2 trucks can't meet, just one that is a bit tight and we usually avoid it if possible.

Its a beautiful drive, take your time and enjoy it! No horror stories from me, #1 is just watch out for wildlife. (That may or may not include me, mwahaha)
LNS
Old 07-17-2009, 03:11 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat View Post
I run the complete route from Edmonton to Whitehorse as a regular route.

As Bob stated the best way is to come up through Montana & then up to Edmonton, where you would get on the Anthony Henday Drive straight to Highway 16.

You then take that West to highway 43. Depending on what you are hauling I wouldn't recommend driving through the city of Grande Prairie...drivers there are NUTS!

Best way to go if you are just hauling a 5 axle is to take the (damn can't recall the highway #) LOL you come to the top of the Big Smoky & there's the town of Bezanson, the road you want is to Teepee Creek, follow the signs... there's a 10 mile jog to the north then west again through Tepee Creek & you will be on Highway 59, that takes you to just east of the Alberta/BC border where you then go back onto Highway 43. You go through Pouce Coupe & Dawson Creek & you are on the Alaska Highway in BC. Just remember if you are hauling HazMat you MUST take the by-pass around Dawson. It's actually a better way to go anyway, you miss all the lights (take a left at the second light & follow the signs).

Once you get back on Hwy 97 (Alaska Highway), that's the ONLY road there is.

You'll need to make ABSOLUTELY sure you fuel completely before you leave Edmonton, as there's not alot along the way.

REMEMBER...there are NO, ZERO, NADA truck Stops. If you have big fuel tanks (150 gallon each) you can make Watson Lake before you fuel. Fuel in BC is INCREDIBLY expensive...wacko liberal gov't & their taxes!

Another thing...MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN YOU STOP AT EACH AND EVERY POSTED BRAKE CHECK IN BC! There are MASSIVE fines if you get caught blowing one. And believe me if it's not noted in your log book...ANOTHER fine. BC means BRING CASH! Remember you are in the MOUNTAINS...most of the grades are from 6-10% and BC is FAMOUS for a 30-50 mph corner at the bottom of a long grade!

Also remember our signs are in KPH..so 100 kph is roughly 62 mph. And when you see a curve that is posted at 30 kph DO THE SPEED LIMIT!

There are a few good spots to stop to eat, Buckinghorse River is one. It's 1/2 way between Fort St. John & Fort Nelson. Another one is Rancheria, YT, it's at km 1100 between Watson Lake & Whitehorse. You can also get showers, etc at both places for 4$. There are 2 Flying J's in Edmonton, but neither is worth squat.

Most of our fuel stations for trucks are cardlock, so you will likely only be able to fuel in daytime if you don't have a cardlock card.

Once you get past Fort Nelson, about 6 hours from Dawson Creek & would recommend you stay there for the night. Night driving for the next six hours is not for those who have never been on that part before. Once you get past Steamboat you will be on the old part of the highway, the road is VERY narrow & winding, there are no shoulders & if you screw up the ditches are mighty deep or you'll end up whacking the mirrors of the guy approaching you! There are a couple of curves at Muncho Lake where two truck CANNOT pass each other, just take your time & don't pay any attention to the guys who "fly" along there...they know the road.

It will take you roughly 6 or so hours to get to Watson Lake, YT from there. GET FUEL!

When you get to Watson there is a POE scale, it's open 24/7, where you can get your permits...the people who run the scales in Alberta, YT & NWT are NOT like your DOT...they are UBER nice! BC is staffed by Nazi's...so watch your butt!

Also, DON'T forget our HOS are different from yours...you can drive 13 hours here, where you can take 2 of your 10 in 30 minute increments, but the 8 should..you can split, but it's complicated...be consecutive. The biggest thing they get US drivers on is the reset...ours is 36 hours...not 34. Also it's better to use that 2 hours off for breaks along the way...our DOT do NOT like to see you driving 13 hours straight. We have some "rules" about a 15 minute break after 4 hours of driving and a 1/2 hour after 6. They aren't stupid, they KNOW it's dangerous to drive non-stop. You have 16 hours to complete your shift instead of 14. And once you cross the Yukon border you have 15 hours you can drive instead of 13, but I wouldn't recommend that..YOUR DOT would FREAK if they saw THAT on your logbook!

Then from there you are 5-6 hours..depending on what spring storm has hit from Whitehorse.

There's another scale at Whitehorse that's 24/7..signs are well marked for Alaska.

From Edmonton it will take you two days to get to Whitehorse.

Have a safe trip!
Wow. I don't drive any longer but that post made want to go and give that a try. The only thing I miss about the truck is going up to Canada. Love that place.

Follow the Madness: Madness.