User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default advice please

Hi. I'm considering doing team driving with a friend. Hes been teaching me how to drive and I have my permit at this point. I may consider going to a school though since his company doesn't offer schooling and we will be team driving for that company.

I'm female. What advice do you have for me? I've been in the truck riding for a week or 2 out at a time for a few years when I get the time off at work. I've heard the comments and stuff on the CB. I know how the guys can be (sorry guys, I know you are not all like that). Anyway, what else should I expect?

What items do you carry with you while you are out? It may be a strange question, but do you carry a portable toilet with you. If I'm team driving, he may not want to stop (but he will if I ask because thats just how he is).

What other items do you carry as a necessity? I always pack light when I ride. Usually I carry a small duffel bag with clothes, toiletries. A sheet, blanket, pillow. And a grocery bag with a few snacks. That will keep me for a week or 2 comfortably.

Tell me anything else you might have wish someone had told you that would have made things easier when you started. Thanks!
Old 08-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Senior Board Member

Hi and welcome. There is a wealth of info here, just keep reading.

This thread has a lot of useful info from some of the ladies here:

http://www.classadrivers.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=27362

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-01-2008, 04:23 AM
Senior Board Member

greetings coju .. welcome to CAD, as Rebel as already brought to your attention ... there is another thread that's very informative for items to take ... glad to say that the info I put on that thread comes from personal experience. :wink:

As for going out with a friend to learn the ropes .... well ~ that can be a tricky one. Been there ~ Done That ! .... thats the way I started back in the 90's ... studied on my own - took the test on my own - and a friend of mine for many years was working for a company that let me go out with him to learn the ropes and how to be a Truck Driver ~ my friend was an excellent driver and knew how to back in 1 try and so on, but to my surprise.... he didn't have the personality to be a teacher. I already knew how to drive a standard car but the semi was a totally different story and 'he' couldn't understand why I couldn't figure things out quickly. My first trip was going through Dallas and I was behind the wheel. I made it but with alot of tears and a big argument by the time we got to the outside of Dallas ..... The next problem driving with a friend 'male' .... he thought he owned me and would be terribly angery when other male drivers talked to me on the CB .... it turned into a nightmare when he realized I wasn't going to sleep with him and play house after a couple of months .... he made my life a living hell, but I stayed with him for 11 months before jumping off and going with a different company. But at least I did get my license while driving with him. ...... There's alot of things that will surface between you and him ... some could be fun and enjoyable but you may also see a side of him you never knew - which could make you enemies for the rest of your life. So think hard before doing it. .....

Here's 1 example of friends going bad ~ Before going to bed one night - he and I had an argument. :x While he was driving he needed to stop and go to a bathroom, (he knew all the pickle parks real good because he traveled this route all the time - and he knew there was gravel in the drive as you pulled in ) ... on PURPOSE when he pulled into the pickle park he slammed on his brakes and the tractor slide a bit - - Which the force of that sudden stop threw me out of the bed and through the curtains and I landed on the floor under the gearshift :shock: . ... Dang that hurt :cry: ... he looked at me and oups ... "guess the gravel made me slide a bit" .... needless to say I never felt completely safe with him ever again.

Have you discussed boundaries ? sexual or otherwise ?

You need to set guide lines and let him know what exactly it is ~ your wanting to learn from him as a Truck driver.

Make a list to check off later to discuss with him ....on What you like for him to teach you ~
How to do a 90 degree back, 45 degree back, how to chain up, how to check your brakes before starting out and before starting up and down hills and mountains.

How to handle the tractor when your hit with 'straight line winds'.

What to do and Not do on ice.

How to slide your tandums by yourself and how to figure the weight on the tandums.

How to change a light bulb on your trailer and tractor. Always carry extra light bulbs with you. You never know when one will go out and DOT pulls you over because of it. It can make a difference in your driving time if you can change them out and not have to wait on roadside service to come do it for you.

How to take care of a pin hole in a hose until you can get to a garage to have it replaced.

Set guide lines on music - - who is behind the wheel generally sets what they like to listen to .. and when one is sleeping .... keep the CB turned down low and the radio low. ....

Theres so many questions you need to ask before and after getting on someone else truck .... these questions will be the same if you head out with a Trainer from a company too.

We have several qualified Female Drivers here at CAD ... we've all had different experiences. Hopefully we'll be able to help you get started on this new journey in Your life. It can be a good Life. It's all that You make it.

Good Luck

4roses

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 09-01-2008, 05:48 AM
Senior Board Member

One other thing coju .. I see where ur a nurse. May I suggest you keep that License current .... never let it lasp. Because you have no way of knowing if you'll do this forever. Once winter really starts up ... you may deicide this isn't for you :wink:

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 09-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Rookie

ty 4 roses, your advice is great and much appreciated. I plan on keeping the nursing license for sure! I worked hard for it and I don't know that I'll do truck driving forever. I've been in the truck in the winter

I have already considered quite a bit of what you said. He has taught me most of what you listed but there are a few things on your list he hasn't but we haven't gotten to yet. When I ride with him I get to do everything (by choice) so I can learn by doing. When we ride together for a week or 2 at a time we get along well. If he has to drive at night or while I'm sleeping hes very gentle with his driving and keeps the music reasonable. But I can sleep easily while hes driving unless its in NJ on 95 where the road needs desperate repair for quite a few miles. We have our buondaries set since we've been riding together for a while. No problems there so far. We've been in some stressful situations in the truck and managed to work together without trouble between us. I do understand it will be different than just being out for a week or 2 though.

The more I research things the more I'm considering just going to school. It can't hurt to learn from him because at least I'll be ahead of the game.

Anyone else?
PS, thanks for the link..I didn't see the post when I searched before I posted.