User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 04:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default First "Incident"

Yesterday sucked!

On my days off, 2 days a week, I drive a 40' transit bus. Oh yeah, it's fun! :roll:

Anyway, on my first run yesterday here's what happened. I made a left turn from a 2 lane street onto a 4 lane street, turned into the left lane (as required). There is a Bus stop about a block down so I have to get over to the right. I signal, check the mirrors, all clear and start moving over. Passengers in the back of the buss start yelling "look out she's trying to pass". Apparently a car that turned behind me, and was following so close I didn't see it, decided to try to pass me on the right. Kicker, it was City of Kankakee vehicle. (Turned out to be a code enforcement officer). She went off the road to avoid being hit and was sitting on the side of the road. I called Dispatch immediately and was told if there was no contact to continue on my route because I was late.

I get back to the depot and the City vehicle is parked, waiting for me. Now I have talked to Dispatch 3 times and was told to keep driving until I got to the depot. The Code Enforcement Officer had apparently also called in. I have passengers waiting, but I'm told to wait at the Depot while they (in the office) decide what to do. While I'm waiting and asking repeatedly for an ETA to give my passengers, 2 squad cars pull up with their lights on. GREAT!!!! I get off the bus to talk to the police, hand him my license and DOT card, (which he said he didn't need). He asks me if I'm alright, tells me I look pale and a little shaky ( I was PI$$ED more than anything!) Asked me what happened, talked to passengers/witnesses and tells the other driver, that IF there had been an accident, she would have been ticketed! At that point she left.

I had told the Officer that the office was sending a back-up driver and I had to wait at the Depot. The Safety manager finally showed up with a dispatcher and a substitute driver. The officer made a point of telling the Safety Manager that I had done NOTHING wrong, the other driver was at fault but he wasn't issuing any tickets. He would however supply a written report if they wanted one.

Did I ever mention that when Im really upset I start making really stupid jokes? As the safety manager is walking toward me and the cop, I hold up my hands and say "Look no handcuffs, he didn't even offer!"

Anyway, I had to be taken for a BAC and pee test and was sent home for the rest of the day, but I'm going back today, so for now I have been told by Safety and the Transit Director that I still have the job. And I have to work today so wish me luck!

Reb

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-03-2008, 08:33 PM
Senior Board Member

Reb I'm so sorry that happen to you ... girl it sounds like you kept your kool rather good. Thank goodness for the passengers :!: I'm sure their statments made a world of difference .... dang there always has to be jerks out there ..... Lets just hope your day tomorrow will be different ~ in a good way :wink: I'll be sending postive thoughts and energy Your way

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 05-03-2008, 09:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks Roses. I'm ok, just aggravated. I did find out, when I went in today that another bus was involved in a side-swipe accident!

I always thought driving the truck was bad (with the 4 wheelers) a Transit bus is worse! I understand NO ONE wants to be stuck behind a bus, it makes frequent stops. But the number of cars that cut the bus off, pass the bus only to make a right turn in front of it (WHICH IS ILLEGAL in Illinois!) Buses get rear-ended at RR crossings even though it clearly says across the back of the bus that is STOPS at all RR Crossings. It's amazing to me. Yesterday the Officer asked the other driver "Didn't you see the 40 foot bus right in front of you?"

A part of me really likes the challenge of driving buses, but I'm not sure how long I can do it. It's a little crazy some days!

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Senior Board Member

Several months ago ~ I worked for a company here that transported new buses in the USA ... I was driving one up to Wis. and this female decided she wanted to force herself onto the hwy - off the ramp - :shock: .... you should of seen the look on her face while she was running down the shoulder because I wouldn't or couldn't let her in ..... I laid on my horn because this was a brand new school bus and I was responsible for any scratches that may be put on it from Tulsa to it's final stop ...... :roll: ... :twisted: should of seen the big number one she kept giving me .... daaaaa - I still couldn't move over and I wasn't really in the mood to do it if I could have at that moment in time. .. I was in Chicago traffic and no where to move too. :? ... ......... Good luck while your out there driving those buses. ... I'd rather drive a tractor than another school bus any day ..... I thought about the Tour Buses too, even went as far as have one of the Mangers of the company call me and talk about coming on board with them ..... naaaaa .... dont' think so. :wink:
Good luck lady .... keep it safe

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 05-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Senior Board Member

I only do the transit bus 2 days a week (my days off). Some weeks even that is too much!

Abraham Lincoln

Old 05-04-2008, 12:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Im glad the incident apparently worked out for the postive for you Reb. These kind of situations occur when driving any type of large vehicle, especially in and about a city. You can look and look again and somehow they (them pesky 4wheelers) will manage to get in the way.
You said it, Ive said it its everybody for themselves these days, and they want nothing to get in there way.
An incident like that really sucks till a few days after, but the aggravation wears off and the learning experience sets in.
Ive had many incidents were a vehicle has gotten into my blind spot and they generally regret doing it when they realize they narrowly avoided getting "smacked".
Except for one incident. Long story short.
Approaching toll plaza NYstate. Lined up with EZ pass lane. Got closer to the plaza saw the lane was closed due to a accident in the plaza. Statie already on the scene. I signal to move to the EZ pass lane to my right. However long line of trucks in that lane, another truck opens a "hole" for me and I move into the hole. As soon as Im in the lane, a 4wheeler hits my right fender. Trooper found me at fault (unsafe lane change, one of the CDL no/nos') (photos I took proved otherwise.) Got a lawyer took it to court....Case was thrown out.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, you live in what seems to be one of the worst states in the country for driving habits. When I lived in WI, a MAJORITY of the accidents on the hiways of WI involved an IL driver. Having said that, I also have to say that there are also quite a number of really good drivers in IL as well. (There have been times I tend to think they're "imports".)

There are areas in WI where the people will tell you that the best thing WI could do for hiway safety is BAN IL DRIVERS from entering the State. However, IL could do a great deal for safety in their own state simply by having an officer ride in trucks and have chase cars along the routes.

Hope you've already heard all you're going to hear about that. The other thing to watch out for is 4-wheelers that will pass you on the right... or left, and then move over directly in front of you and hit the BRAKES. No one else in front of them, but they want an insurance settlement. I've had it happen once in IN, but more times than I care to count in IL. Even took to having a video camera and VCR going in IL for a while.

One driver told me he did that, and when he bumped a 4-wheeler that did that to him, he sent the tape off to his insurance company. The 4-wheeler is now serving 15 years for insurance fraud.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Senior Board Member

I know this may seem...borish...but..even though the proper method for making a left turn from a 2-lane street or roadway, onto a 4-lane street or roadway, is to turn into the left-most lane of travel, then manuver to the right hand lane....after driving in Los Angeles and Seattle city traffic..I quickly decided that when making turns (be it right or left)..I was going to turn into the lane which I needed to be in. If that meant turning into the right lane,from the left turn lane, or into the left lane from a right hand turn, then that is what I did....and do. Saves a whole lot of greif and aggravation doing it that way...and now...after 29 plus years of off and on city driving...I have yet to have a police officer or DOT enforcement officer, pull me over for doing so..and I have made more than one such turn in front of them.

Sometimes doing what is safest for you and your vehicle, is the best way. Defensive driving skills are good to have...but driving on the "offense" sometimes works best.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Unfortunately, you live in what seems to be one of the worst states in the country for driving habits. When I lived in WI, a MAJORITY of the accidents on the hiways of WI involved an IL driver. Having said that, I also have to say that there are also quite a number of really good drivers in IL as well. (There have been times I tend to think they're "imports".)

There are areas in WI where the people will tell you that the best thing WI could do for hiway safety is BAN IL DRIVERS from entering the State. However, IL could do a great deal for safety in their own state simply by having an officer ride in trucks and have chase cars along the routes.

Hope you've already heard all you're going to hear about that. The other thing to watch out for is 4-wheelers that will pass you on the right... or left, and then move over directly in front of you and hit the BRAKES. No one else in front of them, but they want an insurance settlement. I've had it happen once in IN, but more times than I care to count in IL. Even took to having a video camera and VCR going in IL for a while.

One driver told me he did that, and when he bumped a 4-wheeler that did that to him, he sent the tape off to his insurance company. The 4-wheeler is now serving 15 years for insurance fraud.

Good luck to you.

I will agree with you 100% about the bad driving habits here! I've driven here for over 30 years and am still amazed on a daily basis at the stupid things I see drivers do. :evil:

Abraham Lincoln

Old 05-05-2008, 01:02 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelDarlin
I will agree with you 100% about the bad driving habits here! I've driven here for over 30 years and am still amazed on a daily basis at the stupid things I see drivers do. :evil:
In most states, I prefer to think of the 4-wheelers as being "UNINFORMED" rather than stupid. However, IL is one of the exceptions.

(As you can see, I'm not always "BASHING" women...) :lol: :lol: :lol: