User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2007, 11:42 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Mother/Daughter Team

My mom and I are interested in driving truck. Do any of you ladies out there have any advise on safety, and things to take with us for when we get started? Classes for us are starting in January, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-08-2007, 02:33 AM
Senior Board Member

dracojewel .... Good luck ... I wish my daugher would of been interested in driving too .... that would be so kool ... First off .. there's so many things to tell in hopes to help you and your mother ... May I suggest you take time to read several post here on safety on the road,..... Common sense is the 1st and foremost thing to remember. - -

Always know where each other is at all time - :wink:

Set up a secret code - word - that the two of you know, so when your in an uncomfortable place in public .. each other will know that it's time to GO and get to a safe place.

Always look around and under your trailer/tractor as your walking up to it ... to make sure there's not someone hiding under it.

KEEP YOUR DOORS LOCKED AT ALL TIME :!:

If one is asleep and the other needs to get out to get fuel or go to the restroom ... leave a 'set' item in the drivers set so your partner will know when they return - that the person asleep has gotten up and gotten out of the truck also to go to the restroom ...... You'd be surprised how often a co-driver leaves their partner behind at a TS or rest area ... because they thought they were still asleep with the curtain pulled .. :cry:

Have your keys IN your hand when walking to and back from anywhere .. these can be used as a weapon.

Don't carry a purse, maybe a backpack :?: .... money and etc in your pockets .... you want your hands free at all times and there are purse snatchers ... 'street people' / beggers .. A guy tried to steal my purse once :evil:

NEVER tell other people on the CB what you have in your trailer or which direction your going or where your going .... It's NONE of their business :!: :!: ..... Hate to sound distrusting - but you are to trust NO ONE .... it's your safety and job your protecting.

Flirting with other drivers can be fun and break the boring part of the job, but remember ..... dont' tell them where your going or any of your business ....

Never walk around in a TS at night .... dont' care where your at ... if you must ... go inside - do your business and once you get back in your tractor, stay put till time to leave or day light.

Try to always park close to the front roll of parking in a TS .... or at least next to a bright light. .... Stay away from the back roll .... if at all possible.

Once you've left you truck to eat or fuel - always check your 5th wheel pin - - - there are people out there that will pull the 5th wheel :shock: .. for meaness ..... and there are males out there that don't like female drivers - and will try to cause your problems...... (example - I had my trailer handle stolen while I slept one night - so I had to get another one before I could dollie down /up at my next stop :evil: )

If your tractor doesn't have curtains ... make some or buy some ... it's not a good idea to set in your tractor at night with the light on - it's the same as if you were opening all your curtains at home during the night and letting strangers watch you. .. You need your privacy.

Don't walk to the restroom in a pickle park (rest area) after dark by yourself .... it's not just the drivers you have to watch out for .... people in the cars could cause you harm too.

Theres so many things and suggestions ... I'm sure other drivers will add to this list ... my brain is just tired right now ... :wink: .... How about it LadyNorth or Wildkat and other ladies ..... what have I left out here :?:

Again ... Good Luck and always use COMMON SENSE :!: :!:

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 12-08-2007, 06:13 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

I think you've about said it all Roses, above all be professional. There is a double standard out there, use it to your advantage, be proud of it!

We are NOT trying to scare you gals...just be careful out there. Remember one thing above all... you WILL be treated how you act... REMEMBER that!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 12-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Rookie

Thank you ladies SO much!!! My mom and I both love to travel, and this is one job that caught both of our attentions. A couple of members of our family are truckers, and I guess we are both following suit! lol.

I really appreciate the advise you all are giving. I was wondering also on your thoughts of a self-defense course, or even one of those hand held stun guns. I have read a lot of postings on safety, but not too much is mentioned about what is not allowed to be used. I know that a hand-held gun is not entirely doable, especially with the laws governing them being different in every state.

Also, what kind of things would be a good idea to take to school and on the driver training trucks? I have a list of necessities; like clothing, toiletries, etc. Would anything else be a good idea though?
Old 12-08-2007, 11:49 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

I've been trucking 29 years now, never had a self-defense course in my life...I'm 5'1", 125 lbs, never had a problem... ever, but then I don't invite it either. Guns of any sort, are NOT a good idea IMHO as they could be taken & used against you. I think the best defense is your own common sense.

As Roses stated above always be aware of where you are & what's going on around you. That, INO is the best weapon you can carry.

Remember to pack light, especially when going to driver training, remember you are, in reality, moving into that driver's home. Only bring what you ABSOLUTELY need. There will be very limited space for you or your things. I always told my students to pack like they were going camping, don't bring anything you don't absolutely need.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 12-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Senior Board Member

good luck dracojewel, to you and your mom.

4roses covered a all of it, leaving nothing for the rest of us! just teasing lady :P but a couple things i would like to add/reiterate.

always be aware of your suroundings. when your gut tells you that the guy walking behind your trailer is taking too long to cross the street, move. even if it means running a red light.

keep an emergency cell phone charger with you, something like the energizer from walmart.

under keep your doors locked at all times, also slip the seat belt thru the door handle (if possible) to slow them down even more. the door can be jimmed open quickly and the seat belt will slow them down considerably.

get into the habit of checking your 5th wheel everytime you get into the truck, and i mean everytime, even if you've only gotten out to open the doors. one day it'll save you from dropping a trailer. plus the little dip down you have to do is good exercise.

find and carry 3 or 4 short but somewhat thick pieces of wood with you. that way when you have to hook to a heavy loaded trailer that one of your fellow drivers dropped too low, you can use them and your air bags to pick it up without busting a gut trying to roll it up yourself.

if you like music, take an ipod or other mp3 player. at some time you will either get bored or irritated with the other person and it's a great escape.

i carry a ballpeen hammer with me as a tire thumper, door "persuader", and to pull nails out of trailer floors (we haul paper), so it's my defense if need be, but to be honest i haven't ever felt the need.

wipe the fear off your face. people will see it and try to take advantage.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:31 PM
Senior Board Member

dracojewel ..... Where will you be going to school ? .... The only school I know about is Central Tech - in Drumright, Ok. The place you live at will provide your bedding, dishes, and etc. the only thing you take will be your clothing and items for school. I suggest a backpack to put your heavy books in, fine pt black inkpens, short rules, spiral notebook.

As for the road while in training -

Fine pt. black inkpens

short ruler

calculator

spiral notebook - you will be keeping alot of notes your trainer tells you.

couple pair of gloves .. those cheap brown ones work fine... also the cloth gloves w/plastic lining on the fingers will keep the fuel off you hands while fueling.

small flashlight

change of clothes to last 7-10days ... you'll do laundry on the road

extra pair of shoes - remember you'll be in ice/snow they will get wet

wallet - to keep your money and license in - in your pocket at all times

small disposable camera - or phone camera - not only to take pictures of interesting things but to use if you have an accident. You'll need to be able to prove what happened.

Ask your trainer if they have an icebox and may you use a small space in it? .. take some cheese crackers - power bars - bottle water .. food items that keep you rollin till you can stop. Eating all meals in TS will use up all your income. ..... While in the trainers truck - use the foot of your bunk to store your extra items so there not on the floor if at all possible. But remember NOT to store anything on there that will roll off or fly out at ya if you have to stop suddenly.

Advil, etc. .. Tums .. etc. These items will cost you double in TS.

In your wallet - keep your doctors phone number & important numbers - your phone may stop working and you'll have a back up. Let your doctor know that your going to be a truckdriver - if you get sick on the road the pharmacy can call your doctor and get a script filled anywhere.

roll of toilet paper - you may have to go under the trailer late at night and not all pickleparks have paper.(they do run out)

Dont need or suggest taking ..
large suit case - USE a fold up kind .. your living space is small
large atlas - you can use your trainers
tools - they will already be on the trainers truck

Again - Good Luck, be Safe and Enjoy

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 12-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Rookie

My mom and I will be attending the school in OK.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Senior Board Member

Roses you covered more than I would have thought of, you know me, running remote, everyone knows everyone....

Only thing I can say that I tell every new woman driver, is that to get respect you must act like a proffessional. Don't ever ask a man to do something for you, ask to be shown how to do it. This is HUGE in being treated like a driver rather than like a woman trying to do a mans job.

Good luck to both of you...
Old 12-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Here, here LNS!

How's it going down south there with the new job?

Are you missing the frozen north yet? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can send you some if you like :!: :!: :!: