User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default luggage???

hello ladies,
this may seem like a silly question but has anyone got any great suggestions about packing?
all this luggage is driving me crazy!
- one for my laptop and paperwork (on wheels)
- a large duffle for my clothing (on wheels and very heavy)
- one to bring into the shower , but it's not big enough for a change of clothing, I can only put my toiletries in it and it's barely big enough for my blow dryer (still trying to find a hair style that doesn't require a dryer)
any serious simplier solutions would be greatly appreciated
thanks to all :-)
Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 AM
Board Regular
Default less is best

less is best with a trainer and I would never take my laptop out with a trainer!
Old 10-12-2007, 03:03 AM
Senior Board Member

orama you didn't say ... will you be going out with a trainer or hopping on your own truck for the first time ??

If you going out with a trainer .... less is Better !
Your bag for the laptop and clothes ... you say there on wheels ~ is it the kind that will fold up real small ? .... if not - - you'll be taking up valuable space in a small cramped space using big bags .. while your running with a trainer.............. Some trainers will only give you 1 cabinet to place your items and maybe a small space under the bunk. Once when I was with a trainer - I had to use half of my bunk to keep my items, he only allowed me 1 cabinet to use ..... It's important to remember - - a trainer is 'allowing' you into his/her home to train you. Not everyone is going to share their storage space because your only there in that traveling apartment for a few weeks. :wink:

As for the bag to carry into the TS for showers ... a small bag for your hair dryer and shampoo - etc. is all you need. A lot of people hand carry their change of clothes (jeans, shirts) in their arms ....

Think small starting out and you won't be disappointed ... after you get set up with your trainer or co-driver .... you can always add items later.

Good luck.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 10-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Senior Board Member

One thing I did before going out with my trainer was to give my number to someone to pass along to the trainer and ask for my trainers' number. We had a chance to talk before he picked me up. We got a chance to talk about all the things you need to bring and space issues. He advised me not to bring laundry soap as he kept plenty on board. He had a cooler and I could put food stuff in there if I wished. He also advised me he liked to eat one "hot" meal a day and make a sandwich and/or cold cereal for the others. He also advised me that he liked to stop at a Wal-Mart or such every 3 or 4 days to restock as needed. After talking to my trainer on the phone I cut my list by more than half right off the bat.

Give it a try!

Ridge
Old 10-12-2007, 03:01 PM
Rookie
Default Re: luggage???

Quote:
Originally Posted by orama43
hello ladies,
this may seem like a silly question but has anyone got any great suggestions about packing?
all this luggage is driving me crazy!
- one for my laptop and paperwork (on wheels)
- a large duffle for my clothing (on wheels and very heavy)
- one to bring into the shower , but it's not big enough for a change of clothing, I can only put my toiletries in it and it's barely big enough for my blow dryer (still trying to find a hair style that doesn't require a dryer)
any serious simplier solutions would be greatly appreciated
thanks to all :-)
Any luggage with wheels is going to be broken within a week, if you don't pitch it sooner. (It won't fit into any cabinet, the sideboxes are normally full of truck stuff, and the big stuff is crammed under the bunk.)

Bring a softsided laptop briefcase or tote. You are not going to be carrying the thing everywhere, so you do not need wheels, you need small and easy to stash.

Use a small gymbag or a large zipped tote as a shower bag. They are small, cheap and washable. Washable is important, they will get surprisingly dirty.

You clothing duffel is another thing you will carry to the truck once, unpack and not touch until you leave. If you have a place to leave your stuff (car, storage locker) at the terminal, move in laundry bags, pillow cases and garbage bags like all the other drivers. :-)

If you use a duffel, the plain canvas ones can be folded flat, and left under the mattress.

And take only the minimum amount of clothing. Simple, washable, can go thru a commercial dryer stuff. Anything nice can wait. Use an extra pillowcase as a laundry bag. You can buy soap on the road.

At this time of year, plan for layers. T-shirts, sweatshirts, workshirts. Jeans or work trousers. Two pairs of work shoes. A work jacket. Don't overpack, there isn't much room, and someone else has at least half of it.

Talk to a hairdresser about a wash & towel dry hair style. It depends on your hair. Mine is long, but there are a lot of cute short bobs and pixies the are finger combed. Don't get talked into anything that needs a "product". They are awful to deal with if you can't shower first thing.

Barbara
Old 10-12-2007, 08:15 PM

I'm sorry I didn't mention that I'm OTR and usually gone for at least 3 months at a time. Actually live out of my truck right now, a lot less expensive when I'm trying to save.
But thanks to all for the great ideas, most especially to you birdY.
For 20 years I was stuck in an office setting, I guess I'm still adjusting to the change in lifestyle. Had to get rid of all my nice office attire cause it's true, stuff does tend to get dirty on the truck.
I will be sure to downsize.
Again, thanks to all.
Drive safe!