User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2007, 02:52 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Hello I'm new to this and considering a career in trucking.

Hi ladies and gents,

First just want to say I've been reading over this forum and pumpkindriver because I've been trying to research this industry and to my delight this forum has a section for women truck drivers!! I have learned a lot just reading through all of your posts and am considering training with Schneider. Also, that I'm sooooooooooooooo very grateful to read what you ladies post because well, I'm one too, and nothing better than hearing it straight from the hearts right? So okay, my name is Janet and I have grown children, my youngest just graduated from highschool, yeah! I previously did work but have been unemployed for about 7 months, long story, nothing bad but I quit the industry I was in. A male friend I worked with suggested I get my CDL and give trucking a go. So, although the thought hadn't crossed my mind before I received the suggestion openly and started trying to research as much as I could, I even discussed this with my family.

I have to say it was a relief to see others ask questions that I have wondered and get really good answers. Also, reading through some of the posts it seemed almost like seeing things through everyone else's eyes and sometimes the stories told have just cracked me up and I almost cried laughing so hard!! Like I said, I'm grateful even to read about your lives, really is insightful and tugs on my emotions (like fear and joy). Well getting to it, I am going to be 42 this year and in pretty good physical condition (don't think I'll have a problem with the DOT physical, I hope). Although I consider myself to be reasonably strong, I'm not a tall women, about 5'3 and 130 lbs and worried about being able to handle myself in a dangerous situation. I'm pretty cautious and conservative anyway but I see being constantly aware is very important not just for safe driving but being alone.

I talked with a recruiter today and I have an appt for an interview on Wednesday. I would most likely train in Fontana, CA for about 5 weeks and I asked about a designated account, explaining I would like to be more home based so I can get some miles under my belt first before venturing further. I like to take my time (which I know sounds like an oxymoron considering the industry) but I'm a "rather be safe than sorry type of gal." Plus, I live in Colorado around the Rocky mountains and just driving my personal vehicle on I 70 and I 25 during snowstorms and icy conditions have been nerve racking for me, I figure I can learn to drive and move past those fears. Yes, I know I need to build my confidence but believe it or not I also believe God loves me and keeps me safe (especially during those times when I've been fear stricken). God guides me through the fear shakes!!

Sorry this is so long but I just wanted to let you all know I appreciate what everyone does and for the sharing. I know you all cannot make the decision for me which I believe I've already made, if anything I think reading what you ladies (and gents) have posted has helped me with making the decision to try. Also, after reading about driving tankers I'm kind of interested in that in the future but the recruiter said that SNI only does that out of the Southwest and not in the region where I live unless I possibly moved?? Dunno... Anyway, thanks again!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:36 AM
Senior Board Member

lil bit .... after reading your post I feel certain you'll do fine. .. You sound like a person who gives alot of thought and research before you jump into the fire :lol: ..... this job is what You make it .. embrace it and go with the flow :wink:

good luck in the future

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 07-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the encouragement for4roses!

At this time I'm still researching my options and asking a lot of questions on pumpkindriver.com (btw I'm aka litl bit there). One of the drivers at pd suggested I check out another company, Prime, concerning hauling tankers. He said they train from scratch too and have a small terminal out of Denver. I could haul food sources. I've gotten really good feedback concerning being prepared for winter weather and road conditions and "to chain or not to chain?" since I'm in the Rocky Mtn. Region, CO.

I spoke with a SNI recruiter who recommended I take a Dedicated Account (I'd be driving CO, NM, AZ, & ID). She mentioned 24 cpm start but I think I need to re-ask some questions when I speak to the interviewer this Wednesday, as their site advertised inexperienced drivers starting at 25 cpm.

Being new to this industry it's kind of hard to know if I'm asking the right questions and I glean others posts for guidance. One thing I have seen consistently so far, is that SNI has excellent training, however many of their drivers, especially where I'm at are limited to what they haul out of their region and new drivers barely make enough to live off of and after they've put their time in they go with another company. I'm realistic enough to see that most companies have a high turnover but it seems primarily because of where the money is, and whether drivers are treated like people instead of like numbers.

I'll keep posting updates as I learn more and hopefully decide which company is best for me to work with. Any thoughts, advice, suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks again, Janet
Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 PM

well, lil bit, I would have to say that you came to the right place.
when I was considering going to truck driving school for my CDL
I had some doubts, especially being a female. But I came here
to CAD and found the Women In Trucking area and just read a
lot of the threads of conversation. It made a big difference for me
to know how many lady truckers are out there and just read what
they had to say about trucking.

So, you have come to the right place! You can learn a good bit about
being a truck driver at this website and you can always ask for advice
here, there are many who will be happy to give you their 2 to 10 cents
worth. Welcome to classadrivers.com.
Old 07-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Rookie

Just remember recruiters are sales people and they usually get commission on what they sell,so make sure you're clear on what you're "buying".Trucking Schools are free,it's just the contracts you sign that will cost you if you do not live up to them.
These companies now have it if you learn on your own they don't want to talk to you either.
Good luck,do your homework!
Old 07-25-2007, 01:43 AM
Default new career

I am also thinking about driving a truck but am scared and put off a bit by the shifting and learning to drive such a big vehicle I wonder if I can pull this off, I lack confidence and sometimes think this would be a way to prove to myself that I can conquer my fears and all that...I worked in a warehouse and drove a yard truck so I can back trailers up all day long and I am used to driving with a 53 foot trailer behind me...but I dunno...what do you all think? what was it like when you started? is it really as hard as I make it out to be? I have tons of stuff given to me by a friend to read who went to school in oklahoma...it just looks so damn hard though...any thoughts or ideas for me? :wink:
Old 07-25-2007, 05:29 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: new career

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykatrina
I am also thinking about driving a truck but am scared and put off a bit by the shifting and learning to drive such a big vehicle I wonder if I can pull this off, I lack confidence and sometimes think this would be a way to prove to myself that I can conquer my fears and all that...I worked in a warehouse and drove a yard truck so I can back trailers up all day long and I am used to driving with a 53 foot trailer behind me...but I dunno...what do you all think? what was it like when you started? is it really as hard as I make it out to be? I have tons of stuff given to me by a friend to read who went to school in oklahoma...it just looks so damn hard though...any thoughts or ideas for me? :wink:
Like anything in life, it's as hard as you make it. If you already pull 53' trailers, and back trailers, what are you afraid of? Everything gets easier with practice. Confidence comes with practice. If you really want to drive a truck, do it. You'll never know if you don't try. Good Luck!

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-26-2007, 01:35 AM

thanks rebel, I need to just get on with it I guess, I am the queen of procrastination and I keep going back and forth with the whole trucking thing..I think it would be great to work alone though and escape all the BS that goes on when you work with the same people every day.

kate
Old 07-26-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladykatrina
thanks rebel, I need to just get on with it I guess, I am the queen of procrastination and I keep going back and forth with the whole trucking thing..I think it would be great to work alone though and escape all the BS that goes on when you work with the same people every day.

kate
You'll find BS is spread thick at just about most jobs, even this one.

Any chance the school you're looking at is Central Tech in Drumright? Excellent program and inexpensive for Okie residents holding an OK driver's license ($1800 or about $2200 if housing is required)

Hi mom
Old 07-26-2007, 02:40 PM

yeah it is central tech, my freind went there last year and is now on the road full time...I have all his books from the class to read over but since we are in the process of selling our home, I haven't had the time to look it over yet. BS at work is something you can never get away from all the way I guess, but you can sure cut down on it I think!..especially the personality clashes...I won't miss that. 8)