User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 02:04 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Domestic Questions?

Greetings Ladies!

My husband and I are going back over the road after a 4year absence. One of the things I always wanted to do was cook more in the truck. Could you all share your ideas and proven methods for better eating? I hear of folks having cook plates, crock pots, etc., but can't help and wonder how you keep it stored while cooking or how it's cleaned when you're done.

I thought about keeping a water tank on the truck but we drive flatbed and every ounce is important so we can't keep lots of water and such on board.

Also... any general housekeeping tips? Odds are we'll be driving a Freightliner condo unit and have a cat along. I'm always curious where other people put the litter box and how the mess is dealt with.

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2007, 12:24 PM
Board Regular

I never cooked in a stock truck so I can't be much help on that, but I know that people do. I cook a lot, at least 1 meal a day, 2-3 if we're not really busy. I'm sure someone will have some storage/cleanup advice.

I carry a crockpot, an elec skillet, a baby George Foreman grill, a little gas grill and a few baking dishes & bowls. The dishes and bowls are getting changed to the new silicon kind when I find the sizes that I want. It doesn't break or rattle, so it should be easier to store.

It's a lot easier for me to cook rolling b/c of my bunk, but I know a lot of people that pull over and cook a quick meal. According to them (I've never timed it) they can slip in a rest area, throw a meal together and eat in about the same amount of time it would take to stop at a TS and do it. I usually stop to cook too, but combine showering with the cooking so I don't clock watch.

Hormel has some quick main course type dishes that are pre-cooked and only take 4-5 minutes in a microwave (meatloaf, chicken in gravy, turkey in gravy...) and Birdseye has some really good frozen veggies that steam in the bag in 5 min. Don't know if you'd have a fridge in your truck though...
Old 06-28-2007, 02:35 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

I carried a cat in the truck for 6 years, she was super clean & litter box was never an issue for either me or her...except when she was a kitten sometimes she would play in it :roll: :roll:

Just to make sure you clean it everyday...without fail. Since I always ran solo, I just kept it in front for the passenger seat, Heidi used to look out the door window at passing cars :-) but anywhere there's room to put it will be fine with the cat I am sure. One thing I found with Heidi, she did NOT like rubber floormats, so a small cloth type mat, or an old towel usually does the trick.

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"