User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Ladies,what's your fav division tank,flatbed,van,etc...why?

I decided to start in the tanker division with SNI as i've heard it will help me be more cautious and safe driver if nothing else after going thru the training program.Don't know if i'm going to their school for cdl training or getting a grant yet.But they still train for tankers either way.

I checked out Maverick and liked the company but to me that is a lot of work and for a lady even more.I could do it if needed but would never want to flatbed on a regular basis.You ladies that do it deserve to be trucker of the year every year!Some men can't do it and to see you all do it with ease is just too cool.

As for the other options in truckin, I don't think i'd mind them of course,i've just attracted to the tanker division.

So what is your favorite and why?
Old 06-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Board Regular

I didn't mind doing fladbed work, except for when it is very cold or raining, or windy.

I haul vans now only because I have a good fuel cap here, the other company didn't have one so I had to pay pump price for fuel all the time (I'm an Owner op). And I also like what I do now because I only work about 4 sometimes 5 days a week and am home every weekend.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Board Regular

I prefer dry van. Less hassles to deal with. I've done refrigerated reefers as well. I applaud those men & women who do flatbed, but I don't want to deal with tarps and and straps and such in all weather.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:48 PM
Senior Board Member

mapleleaf:
Quote:
I prefer dry van. Less hassles to deal with. I've done refrigerated reefers as well. I applaud those men & women who do flatbed, but I don't want to deal with tarps and and straps and such in all weather.
I couldn't of said it any better .... I've did reefers for almost 3 yrs - then switched to van .... I like it much better :!: .... I had a friend that pulled reefer and one run he was on he was carrying grapes - - well, something went wrong with the reefer and the grapes froze .... Guess who had to pay for that load ? ... He Did :!: .... My cousin pulls flatbed and keeps trying to convince me to go with him for a while and learn the tricks to the trade . . . . No thank you :wink: ... after watching drivers stand in the rain and sleet, high winds and sub zero weather adjusting their load ... naaaaa ... this girl 8) doesn't want any part of it. ........ call me lazy, call me crazy .... don't care :lol: ... I'll stick with the van.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 06-20-2007, 01:03 AM

I also drove reeefers for three years, now i drive flatdeck and despite the weather challenges i enjoy it way more.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:14 PM
Rookie

I am signed up for tanker and nobody said that one yet. My mom always

said I do everything the hard way :lol: Oh well,we shall see.Are there no

female tankers?
Old 06-23-2007, 02:29 AM
Senior Board Member

I started on vans....tried reefers for a little bit....but truth be told, I'm a flatbedder through and through.

I like the extra challenge of securing my freight...yeah, in the heat or cold or rain or snow it SUCKS. But I can't find a better sense of pride rolling down the highway with a load that makes people turn their heads. Even better the looks I get in truckstops and even my own company terminals for being one of about five women in the company :wink:
Old 06-23-2007, 01:08 PM

I haven't been in here for awhile and I see I have a lot of reading to do.

I certainly have to commend any of you girls doing flatbed. It is a lot of work.

I started hauling tanker many years ago. Food product so there are no baffles. I prefer the food product. A lot safer if something happened.

I always love the reaction of friends or trainees when they first ride with me in the truck. The load, unless it is full to the top( and that is rare ), is always on the move. One interesting thing about the tanker I drive, is when you do a brake check, you have to be able to distinguish the difference between an actual air loss or just the air suspension compensating for the load always shifting. Same rolling down the road. Your air loss is more frequent.

But I enjoy it. I always have a really nice truck to drive. Being a food product, the truck always has to be clean and shiny. The tanker is all stainless steel. You never have to handle the product, just hook up a hose to load and unload.

One funny note on that. It is like driving a big mirror down the road. I catch people slowing down to check out their reflection in the side of the tank. :roll:

Defensive driving and common sense go hand in hand with hauling tankers. You need more space to stop. Corners have to be taken carefully. You can not make any sudden movements with the steering wheel. And winter! Well, that presents even more challenges. But it is what ever you get used too.

I never get in a rush. I get there when I get there. It is always hard to be criticized for being late, but, hey! Better that, than ending up in the ditch upside down.

The best of luck to you with your training!

Annie 8)
Old 06-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Rookie
Default Flatbed!!

Flatbed all the way. I've always been a tomboy and love the physical side of tarping and such. It's so satisfying to me to see a good tarp job! I also really love the shippers with lumber yards being my favorite. Second would probably be hauling hay out of Kansas. With both wood and hay I love the smell! Although I did have allergy issues for a few days after the hay! LOL!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:02 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joettanne
I haven't been in here for awhile and I see I have a lot of reading to do.

I certainly have to commend any of you girls doing flatbed. It is a lot of work.

I started hauling tanker many years ago. Food product so there are no baffles. I prefer the food product. A lot safer if something happened.

I always love the reaction of friends or trainees when they first ride with me in the truck. The load, unless it is full to the top( and that is rare ), is always on the move. One interesting thing about the tanker I drive, is when you do a brake check, you have to be able to distinguish the difference between an actual air loss or just the air suspension compensating for the load always shifting. Same rolling down the road. Your air loss is more frequent.

But I enjoy it. I always have a really nice truck to drive. Being a food product, the truck always has to be clean and shiny. The tanker is all stainless steel. You never have to handle the product, just hook up a hose to load and unload.

One funny note on that. It is like driving a big mirror down the road. I catch people slowing down to check out their reflection in the side of the tank. :roll:

Defensive driving and common sense go hand in hand with hauling tankers. You need more space to stop. Corners have to be taken carefully. You can not make any sudden movements with the steering wheel. And winter! Well, that presents even more challenges. But it is what ever you get used too.

I never get in a rush. I get there when I get there. It is always hard to be criticized for being late, but, hey! Better that, than ending up in the ditch upside down.

The best of luck to you with your training!

Annie 8)

I see I have LOT to learn! I knew about the stopping distance and defensive driving but have yet to read about how the air brakes are affected by tankers. Well as I said before, I always love a challenge and even if it takes me longer than most I'll soon be able to call myself an official "Tanker Yanker" :lol: :lol: :lol: