User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I'm a total mess.Can't decide what to do!

Hi everyone!

I am having the hardest time trying to fogure out what to do.I am looking at co paid cdl training because I have no money or way to get some to pay otherwise.But anyhow, heres my problem:

I am all set to go to SNI but talked to my recruiter this Fri and was told I have to sign a 18 month commitment or pay $5000 back.Now, I understand they are a pretty good training sbhool but after doing a lot of research really believe I might not stay there.Then what?I will have to pay back allthat money.So then I see CRST only wants a 8 month commit and offer 10 days at home.The cons are more unclear to me but a lot of people don't like the van sector for whatever reason.But the fact that they offer miles and a starting payof .33 per mile is very much more appealing than SNI @ .27 cents.And the fact that the commit is less than a year.I really liked Maverick but don't think I would pass the lift test and jumping in something 5ft high so I scratched them off my list.

Then there is TMC and Transport America, but I can't find any good info on if they pay for CDL training or if you have to pay yourself.

I am due to start training with SNI@Charlotte center this Saturday and really am confused.I don't want to work for a company that pays .27cpm and asks for a 18month commit. So a friend said to go there and get training then go somewhere else.But I am unsure how they will want me to pay them back the loan payments.If it were in installments I could get tuition reimburement from new company but if they ask for it upfront I am in trouble.
What do you guys think? ops: :!:
Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 PM
Senior Board Member

You probably wont get tuiion reimbursement for a company paid school if you leave for another carrier (as opposed to a private PDTI school).

The .06cpm difference may seem better, but my advice would be go to the orange. 18months isn't that long of a time. I hear more negatives about CRST than the pumpkin.

Also try pumpkidriver.com for more Schnidey info
Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 PM

What's so hard these days about making a commitment and keeping it?

Schneider will train you well and you will have a good job.

I trained with them and worked well past the year they required. I was making good money and happy to stay.

My son needed me home more so after close to 2 years with Schneider I went local.

But to this day I thank Schneider for my training. They taught me how to be safe and I'm still making my living off their initial training.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:51 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwervynMervyn
What's so hard these days about making a commitment and keeping it?

Schneider will train you well and you will have a good job.

I trained with them and worked well past the year they required. I was making good money and happy to stay.

My son needed me home more so after close to 2 years with Schneider I went local.

But to this day I thank Schneider for my training. They taught me how to be safe and I'm still making my living off their initial training.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I agree with you on the training being great but I do feel like they are

asking for a bit much.I was sent 2 different contracts and one says $400

and 12 months commitment while the new one says $5000 and 18

month commitment. That is really the only reason I am having

doubts.While you stayed and was happy there you also know you are

considered a minority. All the research I have done leans towards people

leaving due to low pay. I love driving and getting paid for it will be great

but their top pay in 7-8 years is more like the avg. pay for other

companies after a couple years. Also, I was wanting to be a OTR Bulk

driver and possibly team up with someone but the recruiter basically

already pre-hired me to a dedicated run with low miles(2100 or so).And

at .27cpm that is only $567 before tax.I am really considering to go with

someone else if that is all they can give me.Rookie or not,anybody

having to be otr for 7-8 days with only 1 day at home deserves more

than that.Not to mention they want you to pay them back $20 a week for

training.No offense to any SNI drivers or grads but, if after tomorrow the

recruiter can not give me something better I will be looking elsewhere.I'd

rather accept the short end of the stick for 8 or 12 months over 18

months anytime.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:28 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Good Lord girl; What is it you actually WANT? Sounds to me like you have no desire to pay your dues at all. 8 days out???? Is that all??? Back in the bad old days (I have 27 YEARS under my belt) I went out for 6 WEEKS before I got a day off! And back then we were luck to get HALF rate!

When you are not willing to make an 18 month commitment for a career you need not apply to trucking. 18 months is a drop in the bucket compared to 30 years girl. My advise is GROW UP and then make your decision!

KIDS!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 06-11-2007, 02:44 AM

You mentioned CRST and Schneider. Schneider is way up the scale far as a good company to work for or a training company.

I worked for both so I know. I was so glad my training was from Schneider and not CRST.

At CRST they wanted me to train. There seemed to be at least 2 messages a week over the qualcomm about someone crashing. So to train someone without any experience coming down a mountain in the snow was not a good career choice to me.

Schneider is one of the best choices to get your training. I'm not saying the best, but one of the best.

And anyway you look at it you are gonna owe someone something for the training you need to get started.

Good Luck
Old 06-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat
Good Lord girl; What is it you actually WANT? Sounds to me like you have no desire to pay your dues at all. 8 days out???? Is that all??? Back in the bad old days (I have 27 YEARS under my belt) I went out for 6 WEEKS before I got a day off! And back then we were luck to get HALF rate!

When you are not willing to make an 18 month commitment for a career you need not apply to trucking. 18 months is a drop in the bucket compared to 30 years girl. My advise is GROW UP and then make your decision!

KIDS!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am not saying by any means that I don't want to work,commit,or pay my dues.I am or was saying that it was a hard choice to decide which way to go.I would rather be on the road than at home.Isn't that what truckin is about?I can't pay the bills if I'm at home every day.As far as the commitment part,that isn't a problem either.I just know from the research SNI pays less than most over long term.I really like SNI over everyone else and plan on going there.I just wanted some friendly advice thats all. :lol:
Old 06-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwervynMervyn
You mentioned CRST and Schneider. Schneider is way up the scale far as a good company to work for or a training company.

I worked for both so I know. I was so glad my training was from Schneider and not CRST.

At CRST they wanted me to train. There seemed to be at least 2 messages a week over the qualcomm about someone crashing. So to train someone without any experience coming down a mountain in the snow was not a good career choice to me.

Schneider is one of the best choices to get your training. I'm not saying the best, but one of the best.

And anyway you look at it you are gonna owe someone something for the training you need to get started.

Good Luck

I just wanted to say thanks for the advice! I talked to both CRST and SNI.
SNI won my vote.Nothing bad with CRST but SNI let me know a lot more today.She said I can team up coming out of schol which will help me with the miles and also it pays more.She said it is .32 split @ 5-6000 miles so that will be great.I don't have a partner so she said to see if someone in training wants to but if not they could possibly find one in a few weeks.The commitment is fine now that I will hopefully get more miles.I start class this Saturday so I'm so excited :lol: and nervous :shock: at the same time.Well thanks again for the help.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: I'm a total mess.Can't decide what to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred
Hi everyone!

I am having the hardest time trying to fogure out what to do.I am looking at co paid cdl training because I have no money or way to get some to pay otherwise.But anyhow, heres my problem:

I am all set to go to SNI but talked to my recruiter this Fri and was told I have to sign a 18 month commitment or pay $5000 back.Now, I understand they are a pretty good training sbhool but after doing a lot of research really believe I might not stay there.Then what?I will have to pay back allthat money.So then I see CRST only wants a 8 month commit and offer 10 days at home.The cons are more unclear to me but a lot of people don't like the van sector for whatever reason.But the fact that they offer miles and a starting payof .33 per mile is very much more appealing than SNI @ .27 cents.And the fact that the commit is less than a year.I really liked Maverick but don't think I would pass the lift test and jumping in something 5ft high so I scratched them off my list.

Then there is TMC and Transport America, but I can't find any good info on if they pay for CDL training or if you have to pay yourself.

I am due to start training with SNI@Charlotte center this Saturday and really am confused.I don't want to work for a company that pays .27cpm and asks for a 18month commit. So a friend said to go there and get training then go somewhere else.But I am unsure how they will want me to pay them back the loan payments.If it were in installments I could get tuition reimburement from new company but if they ask for it upfront I am in trouble.
What do you guys think? ops: :!:
Bigred,

The training contract online(Go to http://www.schneiderjobs.com/drivers...ing_Forms.html) for Charlotte STA is for 12 months and $4000. If you don't complete one year with Schneider, the payments are for 28 months at $176 a month(18% interest). Have they changed the contracted, but not update the document online?

Wish you best with whatever decision you make.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:11 PM
Rookie
Default Re: I'm a total mess.Can't decide what to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danske
Bigred,

The training contract online(Go to http://www.schneiderjobs.com/drivers...ing_Forms.html) for Charlotte STA is for 12 months and $4000. If you don't complete one year with Schneider, the payments are for 28 months at $176 a month(18% interest). Have they changed the contracted, but not update the document online?

Wish you best with whatever decision you make.

Yes my recruiter said it was just changed this month.It is $5000 & 18 months now. They said it is better now though because you deduct about 15-20 bucks a week and they pay about 55 bucks a week towards it.When you get your chaeck,they show on it how much you owe and if you leave thats all you owe.Before they said you would owe the full $4000 no matter when you left.

Please keep in mind I really see no reason to leave before my contract ends.To me it makes no sense for a new driver with less than a year of experience to change companies in most cases.I know everyones different and have read on here about how people weren't getting the miles or paid for the miles ran and left.To me that would be the only way I would leave.But SNI seems to pay what you run and I know miles aren't guaranteed with any company so they are a good choice for me.

Thanks