User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 08:07 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
My wife likes to have a chair she can sit in while in the shower. She is disabled and it is difficult for her to stand for very long. We primarily stop at Pilot, usually those that used to be Williams, unless I can find a good independent. They have been very accommodating to her and the showers are usually larger.
Did a double-take on this one... until I saw it said "former Williams". Haven't tried them. In general, I REFUSE to do any Pilots. They've SCREWED UP so many places they've taken over. There is a good independant north of Wausau, WI that has seats in the showers. Shower nozzle is also on a hose so you can move it around while you shower. And they are CLEAN. But they could be a bit more roomy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin
It seems to me that you can have a bad shower at any truck stop. Corporation (I'm talking to you, Windwalker) or not. My experience in Crossett is a perfect example.
I used to be "HERDED" into Pilot and T/A like a lot of other drivers. I know what it was like to try to shower there. Today, I REFUSE to work for any company that uses Pilot (or Loves) for fuel. And, for me, most T/A's are a thing of the past as well. I've been into a Pilot exactly twice this year. It was a choice of 20 gallons or get behind my truck and push. But when I did go to Pilots, their showers were very small and confined. If you have clostraphobia, you won't be happy. Don't want to try to count the times they had no hot water, either. And they didn't care if they did or not.

Old 08-09-2006, 08:16 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
It seems to me that you can have a bad shower at any truck stop. Corporation (I'm talking to you, Windwalker) or not. My experience in Crossett is a perfect example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
I used to be "HERDED" into Pilot and T/A like a lot of other drivers. I know what it was like to try to shower there. Today, I REFUSE to work for any company that uses Pilot (or Loves) for fuel. And, for me, most T/A's are a thing of the past as well. I've been into a Pilot exactly twice this year. It was a choice of 20 gallons or get behind my truck and push. But when I did go to Pilots, their showers were very small and confined. If you have clostraphobia, you won't be happy. Don't want to try to count the times they had no hot water, either. And they didn't care if they did or not.
You're like a record that is skipping over the same spot. And you don't really comment on my quoted text. But that's fine.

At 6'6" and 425 pounds, I had no fits of claustrophobia in any shower I took at a Pilot. Some T/A showers were older and used standard issue shower doors and they were like 34"x34". That's small for me. Kind of hard to avoid the water during the soap up phase. :wink:

Seriously, I'm thinking a "I Hate Pilot" thread would be perfect for you. Every week or so, you could post another few sentences and I could avoid that thread. :P

Just joking...
Old 08-09-2006, 09:04 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You're like a record that is skipping over the same spot. And you don't really comment on my quoted text. But that's fine.

At 6'6" and 425 pounds, I had no fits of claustrophobia in any shower I took at a Pilot. Some T/A showers were older and used standard issue shower doors and they were like 34"x34". That's small for me. Kind of hard to avoid the water during the soap up phase. :wink:

Seriously, I'm thinking a "I Hate Pilot" thread would be perfect for you. Every week or so, you could post another few sentences and I could avoid that thread. :P

Just joking...
I call 'em as I see 'em... :wink:
But when you shower at a Pilot, being your size (I'm not, so I don't know but I can imagine) do you also have a problem getting the water to run past where your mid-section meets the walls and down to the drain? (also joking)

Have you ever had the chance to use the showers at Hubbard, OH, at Truck World? No doors on the showers and you could fit THREE PEOPLE in at the same time if you so desired. I don't get there as often as I might like. The problem for me is that I have to cross Ohio to get there. But I do stop there rather than the Flying J down the street.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:34 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:

I call 'em as I see 'em... :wink:
But when you shower at a Pilot, being your size (I'm not, so I don't know but I can imagine) do you also have a problem getting the water to run past where your mid-section meets the walls and down to the drain? (also joking)

Have you ever had the chance to use the showers at Hubbard, OH, at Truck World? No doors on the showers and you could fit THREE PEOPLE in at the same time if you so desired. I don't get there as often as I might like. The problem for me is that I have to cross Ohio to get there. But I do stop there rather than the Flying J down the street.
I'm pretty sure you're confusing short and fat (round, pear shaped body) with tall and fat (this looks more like a lineman in your American Football). I look like a lineman. I can see my johnson below my gut (without a mirror) and I can move just fine at that size. I've never been to the Hubbard truck stop. I always stayed at exit 223.

I'm basically straight at the sides with a mild belly sticking out. I never bumped the walls at a Pilot. I had more problem getting my hands over my head with those tiny shower enclosures.

Not like this:

More like this, but taller:

Old 08-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Board Icon

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go another nine miles (or stop nine miles earlier) and check out the restuarant. And the showers. I have not found one that is not kept clean, and they are roomy. Matter of fact it's the showers I stop there for. Well... I'm also addicted to the "hot sausage sandwiches" at the hot-dog shop too. Maneuvering into a parking place is easier than most places too. I can see what that would turn into if Pilot ever got in there. Twice as many trucks and twice as many damaged ones too.

I've been to the ones at 223 and 226. I stay away from the rest of them and go to 234. Try it and you may find things there that you like too.

I was joking about your size. At 6' and 215, I'm not small either. At 60 years old, my chest has done a little slipping, but not too bad yet.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:59 AM
Senior Board Member

baylor hows your list going ... on suggestions? .... Do you think we can make a change with the TS out there :?: :?: ...

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 08-19-2006, 02:31 PM
Rookie
Default Showers

To be CLEAN and ventilated with dry, hairless space to place my toiletries and clothes. The mold and water dripping off the ceiling, burnt toilet seats, corroded faucets, shower curtains that are so moldy they can stand up by themselves, hair everywhere...it's disgusting. My company has it's own fuel terminals so I usually have to pay for a shower. Paying 9.00/12.00 dollars to risk getting sick from a grungy shower is depressing to say the least. I just want it to be clean and in descent condition. Truck driving isn't a clean job and there are some drivers I wouldn't want to be in the same room with much less take a shower after. I would like to add that the TA's are the worst I've seen in all areas with the Pilots a close second.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:34 AM
Rookie

I want to thank all you ladies (and a few gentleman) for your replies and ideas!

We are working on our first model unit (located somewhere in Texas). I would love your suggestions on other possible locations in the U.S.

Our basic concept is to provide a shower facility like no other. The building would include the following:

1) Large, clean Showers with sit down capability (did i say clean?)
2) Pressurized , Multiple Message Type Shower Heads
3) High quality towels, fragrance soaps & shampoo
4) 1 room with Large Air Jacuzzi Tub & Walk In Showers & 32" flat screen TV
5) All rooms would include a large vanity with proper lighting for makeup and hair "restoration" (drying)
6) Other amenities I can't mention at this time (i don't want to give too many ideas away until it is completely built - like workout room...oops!)

Bottom line - it would look like something out of the Southern Living Magazine "Idea Home".

I do need to ask 1 last question: Based on what's been mentioned above, how much would you be willing to pay for a 5-star shower facility?

Lastly, one idea we had was to create a website you could go to that would take surveys (with visual pictures) rating your interest or better said, taking your input to help facilitate our building based on real live survey data.

Again, thank you for all your great suggestions. I will be at the Dallas Truck Show this week, so I hope to see you there. Just in case your looking, I'm the 7'6" Chinese guy!
Old 08-21-2006, 04:37 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopr
I was at that place-Picked up a load of Lumber or fibre board-Wasn't it a LP Plant though?
I dropped off paper towels.

LP? Maybe. I swear it was a GP plant.
I think you're right now but I've been there :P
Old 08-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

What ever you do, it should be durable. Some of these drivers go out of their way to destroy a facility. The problem in having to pay for a shower is that most of the time you can get a free shower with at least 50 gallons of fuel. Given the choice of paying for a shower or getting one for free, I think most would choose to get the free shower. Some may feel differently.