User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I agree with most of the reply's ... MichiganDriver you said it ~ like it is ~ ! ....

One thing I would add to all these ... Do Not carry a big purse - your best bet would be to buy a smaller backpack that 'both' of your arms go through the loops. Or carry a wallet in your 'front' pocket of your jeans. I've driven solo and teams ... and for the most part - the drivers were always polite and kind when I get out of my truck and walk into a TS by myself. I always look Everyone in their eyes and use my manners ... this way they know I see them clearly and appreicate their kindness to a female on the road . Stay OFF the back row of any TS ...!! And keep your Doors LOCKED at All times ... Day and Night. ! But as for the radio .... there's no boundaries as for the language that your going to hear .......male or female talking ... (there's also female driver/lizards that make more money parked than traveling down the road .. so just prepare yourself for that kind of trash)...

It's a good living out there, and it can be quite enjoyable with the right person setting next to you. Being in a very close living area with your husband, there will be day's or moments that one of you will have to go take a long shower while the other one takes a long nap ... ( tempers can climb fast in a truck) .... and it Won't have anything to do with either one of you - - the shipper is delayed loading or unloading you ... truck breaks down out in the middle of 'no where' and you have to wait for dispatch to send someone to come help you, air conditioner stops working while your driving in the middle of the desert, or you drive into a snow blizzard and there's no place safe to pull the truck off the road ... So the tension Will climb while the two of you are on this journey of trucking togehter.. but remember why your both there. To make a Living and Enjoy life together.

If you have any queston on any subject ~ please feel free to ask it here. It doesn't matter how many times the question or questions are asked ... it's all about getting anwers and suggestions from other female drivers who love the life and respect the job. Good luck and enjoy ! .....

* if your laid over for a few days, ask your Dispatcher if you can grab a taxi and go do something fun away from the truck for a few hours .... Buy a good 5th wheel lock and check your tractor and trailer over good when returning.

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 02-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4roses View Post
* if your laid over for a few days, ask your Dispatcher if you can grab a taxi and go do something fun away from the truck for a few hours .... Buy a good 5th wheel lock and check your tractor and trailer over good when returning.
Why would you feel the need to "ask" for permission? Unless they're paying you while you are "laid over" you're not a security guard! Go do what you want, go see what you want.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Because there are some companys that insist you stay with your truck if laid over away from home / no we're not security guards, but the company puts alot of Trust in their drivers .... Their trusting you with their equipment and cargo and expect it to be parked in a safe place.... one company I drove for insisted that their equipment be parked at certain locations if I/or company drivers were going to go site seeing for the day while laid over. I'm just sharing what I've experienced. To much money is wrapped up in the equipment and the cargo to leave it someplace a thief can easily take what they want.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:10 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Because there are some companys that insist you stay with your truck if laid over away from home / no we're not security guards, but the company puts alot of Trust in their drivers .... Their trusting you with their equipment and cargo and expect it to be parked in a safe place.... one company I drove for insisted that their equipment be parked at certain locations if I/or company drivers were going to go site seeing for the day while laid over. I'm just sharing what I've experienced. To much money is wrapped up in the equipment and the cargo to leave it someplace a thief can easily take what they want.
That may be so, but in all honesty if someone wants to steal your truck they will. If it ever happens to me, while still in it, I am willing to show them how to drive it or whatever else, just let me leave alive....it's equipment, it has insurance. I am not replaceable, the truck and the freight is.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree with you Sabine .... hand them the keys and get out of the truck. Your life is worth more !!

But still yet we are suppose to be responsible employees, use common sense on where it's parked. That's all I was saying.

Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 PM

Hmmmmm I have to chime in on this one. My wife came with me many years ago and we caught a lot of flack at the truck stops because she is a very attractive woman with a great figure. Turning off the radio is probably the best thing you can do, or tint your windows so they cant see as much. I hear women take a verbal lashing on the road and in truck stops, its the nature of our business, some drivers are very insecure about themselves and feel the need to bash women truckers. If I hear this going on in a truck stop, I am old school and will usually chime in and tell them to back off. I like the fact that more and more women are getting in to the industry. There are many good drivers out there that will make you feel right at home, me being one of them! I agree with one of the posters that some of these newer driver have a taotally different attitude than most of us old time drivers do, they dont get the rules of the road and show common courtesy like we do, that being said, my best advise is to trust your in stinks out there. If you dont feel good about where you are parking at night then simply find a better place. We all worry about parking at night, even some of us that are 6'3" and 300 lbs! You will learn as you go and certainly get more comfortable as time goes on. best of luck to you and your husband, and welcome to our industry! Drive safely!
Just an old school trucker, these kids today don't know how good they have it! Power steering, a/c, air ride cabs and trailers, air ride seats! I did not have any of these things when I started driving.
Drive an old Mack, White or GMC then tell me how good a driver you are!issedoff: :bow::lol2: Don't even get me started on backing in to a dock!ops:

Instigator!~
Old 03-09-2012, 03:37 AM
Senior Board Member

dont think youve ever been in a truck instigator
Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I agree with you Sabine .... hand them the keys and get out of the truck. Your life is worth more !!
Having had my own truck stolen, I have decided since that they will have to kill me to get my truck if I’m in it when they break in. You ever show up to get in your truck and find nearly everything you own gone, you will know what I’m talking about. That was the third worst thing that has ever happened to me and I’d never sit idly by and watch it happen again. Now a COMPANY truck would be a different story. The thieves would be welcome to it.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph83 View Post
My husband and I are really excited about getting in the trucking industry as team drivers.
I just wanted to know some of the dangers of women being in trucking. Any advice or suggestions?
I'm very excited about the change but I'm also a little scared about what we may run into.
Hopefully it's not as bad as I'm thinking because I do really want to get into this profession.
Any advice from anyone? Any tips for when we are out on the road together?
I was a trucker for 6 months (in a regular tractor-trailer job) and never had any problems in truck stops or anyplace else.
Like they say, walk with your head up and look like you know where you are going, that says a lot. I read a lot of the
female truckers topics of conversation here at C.A.D. too looking for advice.
Any time I was walking at night through a truck stop I put on my carhart jacket and wore it with the hood up any time
I was walking around. Do not wear "suggestive" clothing and try to look like you know your business.

I found that the majority of truckers I met (male and female) were polite and helpful, but there are some jerks out there.

I still drive a bit and have never, in over 6 years, encountered any problems in truck stops or rest areas.
Like they say look like you know where you are going, look like you know what you are doing --that seems
to help a lot. Most of the male truckers I have talked to seem to figure that if you are out there driving
you must know what you are about --elsewise how would you manage to get a license. In other words I
have heard them comment "good for her" and "looks like she knows what is going on". They made me
feel like I had a right to be there, maybe because I tried to "act" the part.

I think it is a good idea, when pulling in to a truck stop for the night, to turn on the cb radio and see what
the chatter is about. Find out if anything weird is going on in the area if you can, just so you know maybe
what to expect.
Old 03-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Board Regular

I went for a few days once with my husband. Take an ass pill. My butt hurt after only a few miles. Don't normally sit so long. We had no problems but my husbands a big guy few people would risk crossing him (he looks scarier than he really is).