User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Gender bender

Men and women evolved different brains over millions of years, because of necessity. Men chased down food for their families and provided protection. Women cared for the young and old, and provided a nurturing environment. Because of these different roles, the sexes evolved to process information differently, think in radically different ways, expect different things, and have different perceptions, beliefs and behaviors. In the last forty years, as the gender roles in our society have been blurred, both males and females have become more and more confused as to what is normal behavior. We expect our partners to be able to read our minds and think as we think. Unfortunately, we are just not wired that way.
1. Channel Changers
With the lower overall brain function, a man needs more stimulation. As he flips through channels, he is often looking for something new, something different, something exciting. A woman is often content watching a single program, with a relational story line where characters show emotions. She likes to predict what will happen next and needs the continuity to stay interested. The remote control allows a man to surf the wild looking for fair game.
(and yet, I know a few women... I will completely ignore the TV when they have the remote. For one, I even took her batteries out of the remote so we could watch the weather for tornado reports)
2. Measuring Testosterone Levels
According to University of Liverpool researcher John Manning, the size of your ring fingers and genitals are directly related to how much testosterone you received in the womb; the higher the testosterone level, the longer they are. In fact, looking at the length of ring fingers in comparison to index fingers will give an idea of the size of a man's penis. If the ring fingers are longer, it means that there were healthy testosterone levels; if they are the same size or smaller, it means that there were lowered levels.
(and he knows this to be so because either his mother or his wife told him so)

3. Different From Conception
From early in infancy, girl brains are more interested in smiling, communicating, people and security; while boy brains are more interested in objects, actions and competition. With higher levels of testosterone, the male areas of the brain are more developed, including the parietal lobes responsible for sense of direction, visualizing objects in three dimensions (good for catching a football), and mathematics. Without testosterone, the language centers of the brain are more developed, which is why girls like to talk and boys like to play catch. In addition, testosterone beefs up the area of the brain that is interested in sex. This ares is twice as large in men as women. He really is more interested in sex.
(and, of course, it also gives women the excuse to say that men have a ONE-TRACK MIND...)

4. She Is Thinking, Thinking, Thinking
Neuropsychologist Ruben Gur of the University of Pennsylvania used brain scans to show that when a man's brain is in a resting state, at least 70 percent of his brain is shut down. On the other hand, when women were resting, at least 90 percent of their brain was active, confirming that women are always thinking, thinking, thinking. The man wants the remote control and a little peace and quiet; she wants to talk.
(and the next morning, at work, all he wants to do is catch up on sleep)

5. Primitive Vs. Emotional Thinking
In another study, when asked to think of nothing, men's brains were more active in the more primitive physical activity centers of the brain (cerebellum), women's brains [sic] were more active in the emotional and bonding centers of the brain (limbic system). Left to themselves, men will think about sex, their golf swing or their jump shot; women will think about their spouse, children or parents. One common complaint from women is that they do not feel connected to their partners. Men would do well to initiate conversations about children and parents.
(We've had more than one conversation about her son.. Addicted to pills, grabbing her ATM card and cleaning out the bank account... Warrant out for his arrest, so he left the state and IL can deal with him now.)
(Or Daddy, the pediphile, and Momma that looked the other way while things were going on.)
(Oh yeah... Good topic of conversation... Parents and children)

6. Sex On The Brain
The part of the brain responsive to sex hormones is two and a half times larger in men than women. Men are programmed to be more responsive to sexual feelings. Plus, with the lower activity in the brain, men are looking for excitement and stimulation. What is more stimulating to think about than sex?
(Unless you're a woman, then it ranks somewhere below SHOPPING)

7. Why Don't Men Need Foreplay Like Women Do?
Men are always ready for excitement. With the lower activity levels in our brain, and higher testosterone levels, it takes little to get us going. Like Harrison Ford's character Quinn Harris said in the movie Six Days, Seven Nights, "All women have to do is show up." We are always idling, waiting to be taken for a ride. Women, on the other hand, have so much going on in their brains that they need to be soothed, courted and encouraged to be in the mood. They need a method to calm down their brains.
(Or, refer to number three. She needs a road map to find the most important topic of the moment in all the things she has on her mind.)

5. Sir, Are You Lost?
Men do not know that they are lost, even if they have passed the same gas station four times. Men have less access to the right hemisphere, which shows the big picture. The right hemisphere allows people to know when a problem exists. Since men have less access, they are often in the dark when something is wrong. It happens in many other situations besides driving, such as admitting that there is trouble in a relationship (75 percent of the time women are the ones who file for divorce or leave a relationship). Men are also singularly focused on finding their way. Admitting that you are lost is admitting failure, something men are very poor at doing.
(No. I'm not lost. Never been here before, and was curious as to what's here.)
(If a man looks for a divorce, she seems to have more ways of talking him out of it than vice versa.)

9. Gossipmongers
Men do gossip, just not as much as women. Men have language exclusively on the left side of the brain, while women have language on both sides. Women have more to say because more areas of the brain are dedicated to language. Men are also more interested in sports than in emotional relationships. Sport talk shows are very popular sources of gossip for men.
(Don't need to gossip. I have a live media that keeps me up to date on all activities in the neighborhood, and I can even ask questions like I can't from the TV.)

10. Do Men Lie More Than Women?
Given the lower brain function, especially in the front part of the brain, men tend to be more impulsive than women. They tend to have more affairs and tend to say things without fully thinking it through and often find themselves in hot water. Women also lie, but they get caught less. One reason, as I mentioned earlier, is that women have better access to the right hemisphere and thus read social cues better than men. They notice the small things, like looking away or down or clearing your throat, that are typical in people who are not telling the truth. Since men tend to be in denial a lot of the time, they do not see when their partner is lying.
(Bet that's the one time when they appreciate the fact that men don't notice things as much.)

11. Why Can't He Remember Our Anniversary?
Men are men. As such they are thinking about providing for their families, competing with other men and sex. Opposed to women, who are thinking, thinking, thinking about the relationship, men are busy doing. This does not mean they love less, they just love like men. This often causes them to forget important dates, even though they try hard not to.
(Now, which anniversary would that be?
The day we met?
The day we got engaged?
Our wedding day?
The day you learned you were pregnant the first time?

I certainly do remember the day our divorce was final.
You came into my appartment right after I left for work.
You called "TIME AND TEMPERATURE" in Tokyo, Japan,
left the phone off the hook, and I got home about ten hours later...
I certainly do remember the day our divorce was final.)

Reprinted from Sex on the Brain by Dr. Daniel G. Amen, M.D. Copyright © 2007. Published by Three Rivers Press, a division of Random House, Inc.

My own comments were added below each part. Now, can we put some LIFE into things????? You go weeks without posting on this thread. A person would almost think women have left trucking.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:00 PM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile

Sorry WW...I for one have been busy...after my typical 100 hour work weeks, then trying to be wife, chief cook & bottle washer, mother, grandmother, maid, & gardener... I'm kind of...well TIRED! I just don't get on as much as I used to in winter it's cold & there's like 50 FEET of snow on the ground! We have such short summers...well spring, summer & fall fit neatly into about 4 months of the year I try to spend as much time as possible outside! And until the earth slows (?) it's rotation enough to make the days 48 hours long...I seem to have a bit of trouble fitting everything I need to get done in a day & still find a few "minutes" for some much needed sleep!

BTW...Pearl, one of our shop cats...had SIX yes SIX kittens sometime this week!

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"

Last edited by wildkat; 05-25-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:04 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat View Post
BTW...Pearl, one of our shop cats...had SIX yes SIX kittens sometime this week!
Sorry, that's not a record. A woman in CA had 8 kids... That's right. She delivered 8 kids. I remember back on the farm in WI, 8 puppies in one litter, and 9 kittens in one litter, but that would be like having a cow give birth ot 8 calves at one time. :eek2::hellno:

You should be about ready to make your last trip across the ice soon, shouldn't you? Or has that already happened?

By the way, has my grandson been staying in touch with you?

Old 05-27-2009, 05:33 AM
Rookie

They should watch Octomom. She might start a lucrative career as a smuggler.
Old 05-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Board Bitch
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
Sorry, that's not a record. A woman in CA had 8 kids... That's right. She delivered 8 kids. I remember back on the farm in WI, 8 puppies in one litter, and 9 kittens in one litter, but that would be like having a cow give birth ot 8 calves at one time. :eek2::hellno:

You should be about ready to make your last trip across the ice soon, shouldn't you? Or has that already happened?

By the way, has my grandson been staying in touch with you?
Oh the ice road closed in early April, that's normal, but I haven't been Yellowknife way since, January. I got a steady run to Whitehorse, Yukon in March...I really like it...I figure by the time summer is over I should have met the entire population of Alaska! Sometimes when I'm in Whitehorse, they are an hour from Alaska, & you wouldn't believe how many Alaskans shop there, I see more Alaska license plates than Yukon!

No... I haven't heard from your grandson in sometime now. Maybe he got his fill with "Ice Road Truckers"?

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "oh crap, she's up!"
Old 12-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildkat View Post
Oh the ice road closed in early April, that's normal, but I haven't been Yellowknife way since, January. I got a steady run to Whitehorse, Yukon in March...I really like it...I figure by the time summer is over I should have met the entire population of Alaska! Sometimes when I'm in Whitehorse, they are an hour from Alaska, & you wouldn't believe how many Alaskans shop there, I see more Alaska license plates than Yukon!

No... I haven't heard from your grandson in sometime now. Maybe he got his fill with "Ice Road Truckers"?

Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I am glad you could join us. Newcomers are always welcome, Sharonk. Feel free to look around, post and ask questions. We have a very diverse group.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonk868 View Post
Hi, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!
You certainly are welcome here. And, the better the sense of humor, the warmer the welcome.

Old 10-08-2021, 12:04 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker View Post
You certainly are welcome here. And, the better the sense of humor, the warmer the welcome.
Okay... I'll test this out for every one.... hold my beer.

Howdy Windwalker, so good to see you, again, my old C-H-U-M-m-m-m........................... pah.
Since I've been away, I've learned that I'm maybe a binary gender..... not really sure.... does that mean I have 10 genders?