User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2016, 12:11 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How do you manage to sleep in a moving truck?????

Team drivers~
In all seriousness,
How do you manage to SLEEP in a MOVING truck? When I drove, we were constantly being nudged toward "teaming"-- I stayed solo, though, because I couldn't figure out how to wrestle my paranoia down into restfulness when someone else was driving!
For those of you who have found it "doable", HOW DO YOU DO IT? What tips and tricks can you offer about how to relax enough to sleep while someone else is driving????
Is it just that you're flat out EXHAUSTED? Have you gained a deep respect for your co-drivers values? What???
Please share tips, as co-drivers, on how you have been able to get to sleep when it's time to change driver shifts? Please?
Jewels
P.S., Because I could never get past this! I'm a "control freak", and if I weren't driving, I would be peeking through the curtains to make sure "everything was okay"!
Please share your tips! Thanks!
Old 01-25-2016, 08:38 PM
Rookie

Back in the day,we made a swinging bunk.
Elevate the mattress with a 3/4 inch piece of plywood.
Use 2 or 3 bungees on each corner and attach to the ceiling,depending on the truck.

But you have to trust your co-driver,or you will never get any sleep.
Old 01-26-2016, 12:33 AM
Board Regular
Default Is that your rig??? Awesome!!!

I remember having to get my truck towed (blown turbo), and the guy came, hooked to the ENTIRE DANGED RIG AND TRAILER, and pulled it in! I wanted to bow and do obeisance!!! lol
This is what I'm talking about. Thanks, DD, for this. So the modified sleeping assembly, I'm thinking, sort of moved with the truck while the driver slept? The way that water in a cup finds its proper level, while moving around?
Forgive me, but as I said, I could never even conceive of sleeping while someone else was driving. The thing is, it just makes a lot more sense to team--considering that 1.) There's always someone to talk to; 2.) You can cover a lot more ground, in a longer stretch of time, LEGALLY; and 3.) There are two of you to handle whatever might come up. As we all know, two heads are often better than one!
It always seemed sort of like a pair of cops--you know, an almost psychic pairing, where you had to be so comfortable with one another that it was almost like "the other you" was driving, in order to feel comfortable...
Thanks for this insight, Driver Dan. I'd love to see the modifications you made. That's the kind of "rubber meets the road" wisdom that can translate to real life workability, you know?
Is there a way to "know" if the person is that kind of match for you? Guess you just have to be around her/him for a while?
Thanks for weighing in, Driver Dan!
Jewels